Inserting an Omnipod into scar tissue

A little off topic, but you mention the possibility of putting an infusion site into scar tissue. I am contemplating using a pump, but do have a lot of scar tissue on my stomach, which is where I’d ideally put the infusion set. What happens when you infuse into scar tissue? Is the cannula of the infusion set any longer than the needle of an insulin syringe (i.e., would it sit beyond scar tissue?)? Thanks for any thoughts on this DM and others.

3 Likes

The omnipod infusion depth is very short! It would probably be best to avoid any scarred area.

5 Likes

Is it shorter than the dexcom cgm wire, because that didnt work for me?

1 Like

I’m in the same situation; too many years of whacking insulin into my mid-torso (aim for the belly button etc.) It doesn’t work, at least it doesn’t work for the Omnipod. Adsorption for me was unpredictable. At present I circle round the big mound of MDI belly stuff and that seems to be ok.

I’m not sure this is true for a CGM; the problem with my CGM is that it lasts for 10 days and lasting for ten days in that position is not an option. It is too close to the beltline, so it gets shoved, moved, seatbelted and then starts whining, or at least not performing.

That problem exists, for me, for all attachables; the stomach area is just too active, physically; because of the world we live in, for an attachable to last for long.

2 Likes

Can we expand beyond Omnipod to include tubed insulin pump infusion cannula(e)? Same question stands. Is the depth still short? For reference (for me), Dexcom did not work in my stomach, I believe b/c it sat within the depth of the scar tissue. Thanks so much - Jessica

3 Likes