GETTING BACK INTO THE POOL (after 2 years away)

BG HIGHS AFTER PUMP MALFUNCTION EXPERIEMENT #1:

well my overnight BGs were perfectly in TR. However, when I woke up my BG was140; I did a correction immediately, however, by the time I was eating Bfast, my BG had climbed to 154. I bolused for my meal and added extra insulin to try and catch the spike. I was sleepy and thought nothing about looking carefully at my pump for any explanation. After Bfast, my BG had only come down to 140. I looked at my pump and saw air bubbles in the tubing. I changed my pump ASAP!!! I still had significant IOB so I didnt want to dash to the pool just yet. I waited another 15 minutes and re-tested. My BG had climbed back up to 140, so I figured F-it and dashed off to the pool. I had .3U IOB.

when I got to the pool, my sugars were 134. I had only .2U OB and decided to just jump in and go for it.

It was a good, strong swim. The time flew by. All I thought of was the future swimmers high and my refuel shakes (mmmm, chocolate! :star_struck: :yum:)

when I finished my swim, my BG was 102. I ran up the stairs to my locker and bolused .5U, showered, dressed and made a phenomenal dash home. 10 minutes before I got home, I bolused on the sidewalk for my shakes so when I got home I would have to wait less time for that pre-bolus to kick in. Brilliant, I thought :rofl:

in the morning, when I woke up with such high BGs, I thought Sh*t. I’m gonna just bag it. My sugars are gonna b too high to swim today. My husband told me I would have a great opportunity to swim off the high BGs and that I should just GO FOR IT. I trust my husband 3,000% (and more) so I took his advice, got out of my pity pot, and made the decision to swim. I feel much better about myself for listening to him. It was well worth it. But, as you have probably surmised over the years of reading my threads and my posts, I am very easily frustrated by my numbers. I know this drives Eric crazy. I mean, the whole point of swimming is to enjoy myself (which I always do just as soon as I get into the pool) Its just that I do get caught up in trying to get as close to perfection as possible. I need to remember that this is a disease, and although I can do the best that I can, it doesnt always work out the best I want it to. But, that doesnt need to limit or to define me.

Anyway, I’ll b back in the pool Wednesday , and I get to try it all over again.

Stats:

(starting with last night)
8:05pm BG 71
9:45pm BG 71
10:30pm BG 84 went to bed
12am BG 85
2:30am BG 83

7am BG 140 bolused .4U correction (got out of bed)
7:30 BG 154 bolused .3U correction
7:50 BG 150 bolused for Bfast plus additional .1U correction
waited 40 minutes till eating, when my BG started to come down and was 120. Then I ate my Bfast ( 1C Cottage Cheese)
11am BG 131
11:15 BG 140 .3U IOB Left for the pool
11:40 BG 134 changed into my suit, cap and goggles and went down to the pool)
12:15pm BG 102 bolused .5U
12:40pm (as I was still walking home) bolused 3.3U (this may have been a silly obsessive mistake as I bolused an extra .1U for my shakes just out of sheer frustration that my BG were over 100 when I finished my swim…but easily corrected later)
1:05pm BG 88, drank my shakes. (super duper delicious :+1: )

hopefully my new infusion and tubing will work properly. I dont see one air bubble and the infusion site was nubile and without any feelings of scar tissue. I often wish I were on the POD, but as the Dexcom never worked for me, I doubted I would get successful results using the POD. I may try it in the future though. Just a thought.

signing out,

DM

PS:

this weekend my husband took me to Paragon Sporting Goods and bought me my first new pair of goggles in 4 years; what a difference it makes to b able to see clearly. :rofl: He also bought me a bunch of new swim caps and flip flops. Hes such a nice guy!

6 Likes