GETTING BACK INTO THE POOL (after 2 years away)

Thanks, Eric, for the gentle reminder. I do have a real propensity to obsess over my numbers. I dont know why I let it get in my way and invade on any of my sheer pleasure and delight. Crazy, huh :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Maybe try a new skill/project/volunteering that challenges you and obsess over getting great at that. You could try learning to solve Rubiks cube in under a minute. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

you made me giggle uproariously. That darn Rubik’s cube. I gave up on trying to solve it years ago. It just made me more frustrated than I felt before I began.

But I appreciate your point! Thanks :heart:

4 Likes

No one (that I know of) learns by trial and error. But there are tons of videos. I learned (as adult) after seeing 7 yo kids doing it, and they taught me!!. Just like swimming you need to learn the basics, then gradually add the speed/accuracy. But there are many other activities/challenges too.

4 Likes

life is such :grin: :grimacing: :rofl:

4 Likes

You are not anxious about the swim! It’s all the other stuff.

Do you want to try letting go of “all the other stuff” for a bit and see how that works?

Right before you swim, just check your BG, take some carbs if needed, turn off your basal, and swim.

No worries about fixing anything, figuring out anything, changing anything, or adjusting anything

Don’t think about the next time.

Just swim.

Think less, swim more!

Let go of your BG and see how that works for you.

7 Likes

TRYING OUT ZERO BASAL BEFORE MY SWIM FOR THE FIRST TIME, EXPERIMENT #1:

This morning when I planned to leave for the pool, I hadn’t spiked. my BG was 103 and didnt climb higher than 106. I thought I was feeling anxious, and I was expecting to spike, but I didnt. so, when all of my IOB from breakfast was finished, I turned off my pump to zero basal. My plan was to keep it off for no more than 30 minutes from the time I shut it off till the time I literally jumped into the pool and started my swim. Well
I got my timing off a little (I was watching TV), and left the house a little later than I could have, so my exact time on zero basal BEFORE my swim was actually 45 minutes. My BG right before jumping in was 104. I took 6gms of fast carbs and jumped in. ( I almost forgot to take the carbs, and didnt realize it until I was almost down the locker room stairs
certainly glad I remembered. I would of hate to think of what would have happened. Perhaps several Transcend Gels???)

I dont care for swimming at this hour. its lunchtime and the pool begins to get crowded. So I was a little peeved about that. I mean, I didnt bump into any of the other swimmers, but it was just harder to get into my groove with all the splashing around me every time I came up for air. And those people who swim the backstroke are a nightmare to share a lane with bc they’re upside-down, dont know where they’re going, and cant swim in their side of the lane. Ugh. As if thats the worst thing in the world :crazy_face: Luxury Problems, I know.

but all worked out well. I hope I used good judgement and that The Force was with me when I made my decision on how much replacement bolus I needed from time off the pump. (1 hour, 15 minutes in total)

Stats:

7am BG 79 woke up and played own the computer for a while
8:15 BG 83 started eating Bfast but forgot to bolus
8:20 remembered to bolus :crazy_face:
12:15pm BG 106 turned off pump to zero basal and watched some TV
12:35 left for the pool
1pm BG 104 took 1.5 Gtabs (6gms) and jumped into the pool
1:30 BG 86 back up to locker room and bolused 1.2U (0.5 units for 1/2 hour of swimming off pump, and 0.7 units for 45 minutes of pre-swim zero basal) (havent a clue if that will work out, but it was my best guess in the moment)
1:55 BG ? bolused 3.2 units for refuel shakes

now I am enjoying my Chocolate refuel shakes, and I will see how my decisions all worked out. Will report back, and any changes I need to make, I’ll b back in the pool on Friday.

Hope everyone is having a blessed day!! ENJOY :grin:

singing out,

DM

9 Likes

Wow, every single number here is stellar! Awesome job!

:star_struck:

6 Likes

Geez, Eric, Thanks. Of course you did have some input in this
We were texting all morning before the swim on a new protocol since I wasn’t spiking. Your insane experiments make my world so much easier. Heir Frankenstein :rofl: :heart:

7 Likes

It’s amazing what you have done in only 4 weeks!

4 Likes

why thank you dear friend. A great man of wisdom has helped me get there! :star_struck: :+1: :ok_hand:

3 Likes

A LITTLE LESS ANXIOUS BEFORE SWIMMING EXPERIEMENT # 2:
(Also, a little bit of info on my detox from oxycodone)

So this is the second time that I have used the zero TB 40/45 minutes before jumping into the pool.And it was mighty successful. It was a good swim. very relaxing. empty pool, easy to meditate and do my thing. How fortunate am I !!!

As promised by Eric, I see how my mind and my body have began to get used to prepping for my swim. My BGs are no longer spiking. I am relaxed and confident and I look forward to getting into that pool (especially bc these unbearably hot summer days make the cool pool water very refreshing!!)

Stats:

7am BG 64 took 2gms and chilled out
8:15 BG 91 bolused and ate bfast
11am BG 103
12pm BG 114 turned off basal with 0.1U IOB
12:15 left for the pool
12:40 BG 106 took 6gms and jumped into pool
1:10 BG 92 finished swim and bolused 1.2U to replace missed insulin
2:15 BG 86 drank Chocolate Refuel Shakes

feel great. not my best swim, but feeling good all around. Swimmers “high” aint as high as my last, but I think I will survive :rofl: .

In excruciating pain though: went on the Internet last night at the suggestion of a friend who is a PA bc she was familiar with detoxing from opioids, specifically Oxycodone. On the Mayo Clinic site (and others) it emphasized that one of the consequences of the detox is painful muscle spasms and muscle cramping in the back. Well that certainly explains a lot! I just assumed that the detox meant I would be sweating and shaking and having jerky movements in my arms and legs. Well, thats what I’ve seen on the TV anyhow. Now I know what I am dealing with. I hope that this info helps someone who might b struggling with any kind of detox.

Im off for the w/end, but am looking forward to my next challenge in the pool on Monday. Wishing everyone a wonderful time with family and friends and delicious food.

signing out,

DM

8 Likes

You nailed it again! Great stuff!

2 Likes

BG HIGHS AFTER PUMP MALFUNCTION EXPERIEMENT #1:

well my overnight BGs were perfectly in TR. However, when I woke up my BG was140; I did a correction immediately, however, by the time I was eating Bfast, my BG had climbed to 154. I bolused for my meal and added extra insulin to try and catch the spike. I was sleepy and thought nothing about looking carefully at my pump for any explanation. After Bfast, my BG had only come down to 140. I looked at my pump and saw air bubbles in the tubing. I changed my pump ASAP!!! I still had significant IOB so I didnt want to dash to the pool just yet. I waited another 15 minutes and re-tested. My BG had climbed back up to 140, so I figured F-it and dashed off to the pool. I had .3U IOB.

when I got to the pool, my sugars were 134. I had only .2U OB and decided to just jump in and go for it.

It was a good, strong swim. The time flew by. All I thought of was the future swimmers high and my refuel shakes (mmmm, chocolate! :star_struck: :yum:)

when I finished my swim, my BG was 102. I ran up the stairs to my locker and bolused .5U, showered, dressed and made a phenomenal dash home. 10 minutes before I got home, I bolused on the sidewalk for my shakes so when I got home I would have to wait less time for that pre-bolus to kick in. Brilliant, I thought :rofl:

in the morning, when I woke up with such high BGs, I thought Sh*t. I’m gonna just bag it. My sugars are gonna b too high to swim today. My husband told me I would have a great opportunity to swim off the high BGs and that I should just GO FOR IT. I trust my husband 3,000% (and more) so I took his advice, got out of my pity pot, and made the decision to swim. I feel much better about myself for listening to him. It was well worth it. But, as you have probably surmised over the years of reading my threads and my posts, I am very easily frustrated by my numbers. I know this drives Eric crazy. I mean, the whole point of swimming is to enjoy myself (which I always do just as soon as I get into the pool) Its just that I do get caught up in trying to get as close to perfection as possible. I need to remember that this is a disease, and although I can do the best that I can, it doesnt always work out the best I want it to. But, that doesnt need to limit or to define me.

Anyway, I’ll b back in the pool Wednesday , and I get to try it all over again.

Stats:

(starting with last night)
8:05pm BG 71
9:45pm BG 71
10:30pm BG 84 went to bed
12am BG 85
2:30am BG 83

7am BG 140 bolused .4U correction (got out of bed)
7:30 BG 154 bolused .3U correction
7:50 BG 150 bolused for Bfast plus additional .1U correction
waited 40 minutes till eating, when my BG started to come down and was 120. Then I ate my Bfast ( 1C Cottage Cheese)
11am BG 131
11:15 BG 140 .3U IOB Left for the pool
11:40 BG 134 changed into my suit, cap and goggles and went down to the pool)
12:15pm BG 102 bolused .5U
12:40pm (as I was still walking home) bolused 3.3U (this may have been a silly obsessive mistake as I bolused an extra .1U for my shakes just out of sheer frustration that my BG were over 100 when I finished my swim
but easily corrected later)
1:05pm BG 88, drank my shakes. (super duper delicious :+1: )

hopefully my new infusion and tubing will work properly. I dont see one air bubble and the infusion site was nubile and without any feelings of scar tissue. I often wish I were on the POD, but as the Dexcom never worked for me, I doubted I would get successful results using the POD. I may try it in the future though. Just a thought.

signing out,

DM

PS:

this weekend my husband took me to Paragon Sporting Goods and bought me my first new pair of goggles in 4 years; what a difference it makes to b able to see clearly. :rofl: He also bought me a bunch of new swim caps and flip flops. Hes such a nice guy!

6 Likes

Hmmm
 if only there was a way that someone you knew could set you up with a pod test
:thinking:

Seriously, if you want to try it, it can easily be arranged.

4 Likes

I would love to try it out! (my CDE only has PODS for trial with water in them. Whats the point of that? I would never know if I am getting successful results.) :pray: :ok_hand: :heart:

3 Likes

@daisymae DM, if you want to try, I have extra EROS pods I can give you and a receiver which has never been used since I’m looping with an iPhone.

4 Likes

Trying, I have no idea what an Eros Pod is, but I would love to try it out. Thanks so much for your continued support.

3 Likes

@daisymae, I can send you the stuff to try it. But on the other hand, if you and @Trying were to meet in person, a demo would be super helpful for you!

3 Likes

Let me think about it. Thats so kind of the both of you.

2 Likes