Implantable insulin pumps: a primer

Implantable insulin pumps are out of the market today, but they may be coming back. @Boerenkool asked in another thread a question about Medtronic’s implantable insulin pump. It has been withdrawn from the market since 2007, and was never FDA approved in the US (Medtronic never completed the application), but Medtronic still supplies spare parts. The four US patients need to fly to France every 3 months for a refill.

Here is an interesting, recent article that summarizes the present situation:

"‘The most frustrating aspect of all this is that we know that today it is possible to build a far superior implantable pump,’ [Greg Peterson] says. ‘The potential for dramatically improving our lives is real and within our reach.’ Peterson is the chair of the Implantable Pump Foundation by the way.

There’s also a San Diego startup called PhysioLogic Devices that’s been quietly working on a new implantable insulin pump and is in the early stages…"

Here is are two interesting 2011 poll/s and discussions on the Medtronic implantable insulin pump:

"With the implantable pump, I feel normal. I don’t feel like I have diabetes, and it’s because of getting a direct insulin flow that goes into the peritoneal cavity and then right to the liver. To really appreciate this phenomenon, you have to be a diabetic who’s been on subcutaneous delivery, and then you switch to the internal pump. I came back and I said, “I feel like a new man. This feels totally different. I feel normal again.”

"The quality of life is so much better, it’s just unbelievable. I can even go a day or two without eating anything, and my sugars stay 85, 90 or 95 all the time. It’s just like being a person without diabetes. You don’t have those swings, those high highs and low lows, "

“The majority do want one.”

I really liked this published medical article, which is what an actual patient thinks of the implantable pump:

"Witkowski reports that his overall experience has been extremely positive. With delivery of insulin directly into the peritoneal cavity, he feels better, has more flexibility in eating, and experiences fewer insulin reactions. "

Finally, there is the Implantable Pump Foundation site, mentioned in the very first article, a foundation aiming at supporting efforts to develop implantable insulin pumps:

http://theiipump.com/

5 Likes

I can totally relate to these quotes!

"With the implantable pump, I feel normal. I don’t feel like I have diabetes, and it’s because of getting a direct insulin flow that goes into the peritoneal cavity and then right to the liver. To really appreciate this phenomenon, you have to be a diabetic who’s been on subcutaneous delivery, and then you switch to the internal pump. I came back and I said, “I feel like a new man. This feels totally different. I feel normal again.”
"The quality of life is so much better, it’s just unbelievable. I can even go a day or two without eating anything, and my sugars stay 85, 90 or 95 all the time. It’s just like being a person without diabetes. You don’t have those swings, those high highs and low lows, "

I have done something that is a little bit like this, and legitimately it is a whole new world. It really is what it would feel like to be non-diabetic. Unlike any current treatment. I think this effort needs to be encouraged and supported.

4 Likes

@MaryPat thanks for this post. This was not really on my radar but now I want one :slight_smile: I hope that the research caries on.

3 Likes

I didn’t know that. I did some more research and it turns out that they’re still producing it for France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Sweden, but since June 1, 2017, they’re phasing out the production of the pump. The production will end in June 2019 and will be limited to 100 pumps.

Nous vous écrivons pour vous confirmer par écrit selon nos procédures réglementaires que Medtronic a décidé de commencer le processus de retrait progressif du programme de Pompe implantable MiniMed (MiniMed Implantable Pump MIP) à partir du 1er juin 2017 en vue d’un arrêt définitif en juin 2019. Nous en avons informé les autorités compétentes dans les pays où la MIP est distribuée (France, Belgique, Pays-Bas et Suède)

En raison du retrait progressif de la MIP, la fourniture de nouvelles pompes sera limitée à 100 pompes pour les centres MIP de Belgique, France, Suède et Pays-Bas entre juillet 2017 et juillet 2019 avant arrêt total de la fabrication, dont 75 pompes pour la France et 25 pour les autres patients européens.

Source: http://ansm.sante.fr/content/download/109039/1381755/version/1/file/DHPC_Pompe-Implantable-Minimed-Medtronic_Professionnels_17-08-2017.pdf

2 Likes

These are just replacement pumps for existing patients in the program I think. My understanding is that they are now saying they will not even provide support for existing patients after these last 100 pumps, they are truly done.

But I could be wrong.

1 Like

I think you’re right:

Les 100 pompes disponibles dans les 2 prochaines années devront être allouées en priorité aux patients nécessitant un remplacement selon les conditions de garantie, puis aux patients spécifiquement sélectionnés par les médecins des 4 pays.

Recommandations pour la gestion des patients
:black_small_square: Eviter d’implanter des nouveaux patients. Les implantations de MIP doivent être réservées aux patients nécessitant un remplacement de pompe sous garantie et pour les patients dans des situations d’urgence

2 Likes