I took apart a G6 applicator/sensor to see how the wire is deployed

I took apart an unused G6 sensor and applicator to see how the wire is inserted.

It is evidently fed through the center of the spring loaded needle, passes through the hole at the back of the floppy sensor “door” which has two black probes covered in something like Vaseline, and it passes under the black probes and eventually stops at the correct depth.

The sensor wire is not attached to anything. When a transmitter is inserted into the sensor, it holds the wire in place pretty firmly. You can still pull the sensor wire out from under the transmitter without pulling super duper hard. The wire passes through the sensor far more easily after the transmitter is removed.

I bent and pulled on the wire quite a few times pretty hard before it snapped. It’s possible to snap it but that shouldn’t happen easily through normal wear.

11 Likes

Nice detective work, and I can’t help but comment on the very attractive work gloves you protected yourself with. They make a great addition to your work attire, although they do look a tad large in the images.

9 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Great work! Here’s what a Freestyle Libre Sensor and applicator look like when you take them apart:
Here’s the sensor and the ‘wire unit’ separated:

Take the wire unit apart and you get this:

The sensor applicator in pieces:

A close up of the needle. Look how it’s shaped to enable retraction without the sensor wire.

13 Likes

@Boerenkool, nice!!

4 Likes

@T1Allison and @Boerenkool

Thank you both for this excellent disassembly work. It seems as if you are both very close to being able to McGyver an inserter out of rubber bands, a pen needle, and a pencil.

@T1Allison, a number of us have experienced instances where the inserter won’t disconnect from the sensor. In those instances, it has been reported that “whacking” (in a scientifically precise manner, of course) either side of the inserter near the finger-hold depressions with something like a screwdriver handle will release the sensor from the inserter after a few “whacks”. I successfully separated sensor from inserter using this technique on my most recent sensor.

As you are now familiar with the inner workings of the inserter, it it obvious to you why the inserter will occasionally not detach from the sensor? Is it obvious why “side-whacking” can free a stuck sensor?

I feel as if I’m asking what Oz is REALLY like after you’ve peeked behind the curtain!

Stay safe!

John

10 Likes

Yeesh that needle is … not small. No wonder Samson hates insertion :frowning:

4 Likes

@shott, I think the sensor does not detach when the needle assembly gets hung up during retraction. The needle goes through a plastic assembly (and then from there into the rear of the sensor) that has feet on it internal to the applicator which keep the sensor affixed to the applicator until the needle is fully retracted. Hopefully these pictures show what I’m talking about:

2 Likes

I believe this is how the spring-loaded deployment works. I’m mostly sure I’m correct since I can’t deploy it while it’s in two pieces. The spring coil is in the top half on the left. The nub goes around one time. I believe that lines up with the similarly colored plastic channel in the bottom half on the right side, quickly dragging the needle/wire assembly forward and backward to retraction. I think it’s pretty neat!

6 Likes

The magic seems to be in the acrylic (clear plastic) parts. I’ve poked and pushed them a few times; there’s some quite ingenious interlock to cause the in-out operation. What I’ve never worked out is how the sensor gets left inside me while the needle/plunger pulls out. (The “needle” is the regular hypodermic bit, the “plunger” refers to the wire which moves inside it.)

3 Likes

Sometimes it’s just too easy.

I’m Too Sexy (For These Gloves)
by Right Said Fred Me!!

I’m too sexy for my glove
Too sexy for my glove
Glove’s going to leave me

I’m too sexy for my pod
Too sexy for my pod
So sexy my bod

And I’m too sexy for this Dex
Too sexy for this Dex
Hugs, kisses, or sex

And I’m too sexy for your party
Too sexy for your party
No way I’m disco dancing

[Chorus]
I am Alli, you know what I mean
And I post my threads on the board here
Yeah, on the board here, on the board here, yeah
I do my little posts on the board here

I’m too sexy for my car
Too sexy for my car

Too sexy by far

And I’m too sexy for my hat
Too sexy for my hat
What ya think about that?

[Chorus]
I shake my little tush on the board here
ButtPods

Too sexy for my
Too sexy for my
Too sexy for my
Cut!

[Chorus]
I shake my little tush on the board here

I’m too sexy for my cat
Too sexy for my cat
[OKAY, STOP! STOP! DON’T GO THERE!]
I’m too sexy for my glove
Too sexy for my glove
Glove’s going to leave me
And I’m too sexy for this song

9 Likes

@Eric, I think that’s your best work yet! Quite the immersive experience!! :rofl:

7 Likes

@T1Allison Once again a GREAT job of informing, quite the “mad scientist!” I had the same thoughts of @Chris: the gloves particularly set off the effort, they look new (bought for this adventure?); obviously intended for safety purposes given the “dagger” involved (funny how our perspective change, an insertion device is now a dagger). On the critical side, the pictures lack labeling and text with lines to point out the working parts/purposes except at the end, so you only get a 6 on the 10 pt PPAS (PowerPoint Aficionado Scale, but I’m pumping that up to 7 for taking/answering questions…you get this is tongue-in-cheek, right?).

@Boerenkool Haven’t used a Libre (autocorrect just made that Libretto, perhaps they should change the name). I must admit it’s appearance seems more intimidating or “brute force-ish” vice the more dainty and complex inner workings of the Dex. But equal kudo’s for the information, though, alas, no gloved hands…so sad!

@Eric Gets full marks for the song, and particularly the Allison Butt Pod wiggle and video! (I must comment my sensor’s don’t move like that, must be male vs female anatomy!!)

Who says education can’t be fun?!

8 Likes

LOL! I appreciate the constructive after-action report!

Yeah, I never know what gloves or tools I’m gonna find where because I live with three men who do not believe in putting things back in the same spot where they came from after use. So these were the gloves I happened to find! :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging::rofl:

9 Likes

One friendly amendment to these awesome song lyrics…

I’ve had two kids. I’m pretty sure that pushes me out of the “little tush” arena and into the “full-on ass” arena.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

@T1Allison You realize the “three men” comment is fair game! The “little tush” aside is also!!

I was just relaying this conversation to my wife. Her response: “You do realize that some people prefer the “mystery”, the “magic”, and the “mystic” of not knowing and just let it happen?” I’m not sure if she was referring to the devices or the @Erics “tushy wiggle”!!

4 Likes

Libretto the singing sensor, that would be funny. :joy:

7 Likes

@Boerenkool My wife says it refers to the sounds you make as the sensor is “applied”!

4 Likes

I don’t think those people can be found on FUD. LOL!

6 Likes

We are definitely a group of people that like to let it hang out there. It does help with the advanced diabetic technique learning.

5 Likes