I thought I was hitting scar tissue - Now I think it was a flaw with the pen needle

I change my pen needles about once a day. I thought I was hitting scar tissue on my thigh today because I was having difficulty getting the pen needle to go through my skin. When it would get through one layer of skin, it would get stuck again, and then it would pop through the next layer just to get stuck again. This happened in an area that I used to use fairly often for shots eons ago, so I thought, “Well shoot. This area might be shot.” So I tried again elsewhere. And again. When I tried two spots that have never been injected in ever or had hardware inserted there, and it still felt like the needle was getting stuck and popping through layer by layer, I finally wised up and tried a new pen needle. Then it glided right in without any hangup.

Looking at the first pen needle bevel, it looked like it might have had a bit of a burr on it. Hard to tell with it being so small.

Just wanted to pass this along. I hate it when I think I’m finding and developing scar tissue. Our skin is our most important tool in this disease so I really try to take care of it.

…nevermind the poison ivy I just got that’s all over my next pod rotation site…arrgghhh. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What brand of pen needles are you using?

I have never felt as comfortable with pens as I do with syringes. It took me a while to learn that they can clog up, and you think you are getting insulin but nothing actually came out of it. :angry:

1 Like

BD brand

1 Like

Thanks for the warning, @T1Allison.

1 Like

BD is generally very high quality stuff.

2 Likes

I always prime with a unit to ensure they’re free flowing. I can also feel anything more than 1u of resistance in how hard it is to press

3 Likes