I got my flu shot and got sick

I was fine for 36 hours, then ran a mild fever with chills for the next 2 days. :face_with_thermometer: My blood sugar surged up and didn’t respond to a correction so I changed the pump but there were no signs of a problem with absorption. I drank a lot of water and hopped on the elliptical to bring my BG down! Today I am still experiencing some insulin resistance. Previous years’ shots have not caused any problems other than soreness at the injection site. What gives??

4 Likes

Not sure, but I had the same reaction to this years shot, although my reaction peaked at 24 hours. Hurt the next day, then I was in Costco when a slight fever hit and that was not fun.

2 Likes

my parents also reported a flulike illness for a few days after their shot. No idea why. I had no symptoms.

1 Like

I got a flu shot a few weeks ago and did not have any issues.

The one I got was Afluria Quad, made by the Seqirus pharmaceutical company. Afluria Quad is an inactivated quadrivalent vaccine.

3 Likes

I got the pneumonia and shingles (first dose) vaccines a month ago and first 3 days I needed to take 3x normal dosage. I was fine though no fever.

2 Likes

My husband and a friend gots theirs about the same time and had no ill effects. I guess I am just “special”. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Hi @CatLady, hope you are feeling better now.

This is exactly why I stopped getting the flu shot. Every single time I get one I get sick. Now with the pandemic I might just have to deal and get the shot

2 Likes

I had the fluatix Quadravalent with no issues

Apparently that’s an active version but I dunno much about the subject

4 Likes

We also all got a quadrivalent version a week ago with no ill effects. These effects appear to be so random!

1 Like

I got the same quadrivalent flu vaccine and had no side effects.

1 Like

@TiaG’s parents and @CatLady may have received the seniors’ high-dose shot. I wonder if that’s the difference.

3 Likes

I think I did, but so did my husband and friend. I’d been feeling a bit worn out so maybe…?

2 Likes

I have an immune response to the flu shot almost every year. It’s no fun, but I’ve had flu that was on-again off-again for weeks, so I always get the shot.

4 Likes

I don’t know much about it either, but I just ran across an article saying that the live attenuated virus versions may have nonspecific effects that could also protect against COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses:

Has anyone had any side effects from this nasal spray? I wouldn’t mind not having a sore arm for a while from the shot if the side effects from the nasal spray are less annoying and it might confer additional protection.
3 Likes

I got my flu shot about 1 1/2 weeks ago and 5 days ago I started getting quite sick. First I thought it was just allergies and I took 2 Benadryl, but then my sugars began spiking and totally out of control. I had no fever, which I thought was odd, but I ached from head to toe, had nausea and a terrible headache and runny nose.

I increased my basal to 120% and strengthened my ICRs and my ISF is almost double its usual dosage. Very stubborn highs.

Now I am under better control (thank you Medtronic pump!!!) but still miserably sick.

It worried me so much that I went with my husband for us to get tested for Covid. When I saw the doctor he thought that I was just having a seasonal virus, and, as I had no fever at all, doubted very much that I had Covid. But I hope to be getting my results back by tomorrow or the day after. Fingers crossed. So for now self-isolating with hubby.

(btw, this happens every year after I get a flu shot and everyone tells me that I am crazy; that the flu shot is a dead virus and cannot get me sick; but I’ve had this happen every darn year and it cannot be mere coincidence.so thank you very very much for your post; it was immensely helpful, and now I no longer feel alone and nuts!)

4 Likes

You cannot get the flu from the flu shot—you can’t have an active infection that you pass on to others, etc. It doesn’t mean you can’t have an immune reaction to the injection; in fact, you have to have some degree of it, otherwise it won’t work. Some people seem to have a more extreme reaction that has some flu-like symptoms, but it’s still not the same as having the flu. Doesn’t make it not uncomfortable and not something that could mess with your blood sugars though.

5 Likes

Thank you for the info. Nice to know I am not going nuts wondering why this happens year after year.

4 Likes

That’s the beauty of our FUD family: we don’t have to be alone with this crazy disease! :pray:

6 Likes

I reluctantly after more than a decade got a flu shot last week (dead/inactive virus). Had the usual side effects of a sore arm after 3 hours, which morphed in the ensuing 5 hours into aches/pains, chills, low grade fever and high bgs and lasted for approximately 3 days. Add nausea to the mix and that is why I usually skip the shot (and have not had the flu in over a decade). This year with C-19 around I got the shot. I hope the last 3 miserable days were worth it.

3 Likes

Sorry… that sucks to feel like crap when trying to take best precautions you can…

2 Likes