I am having great luck with oats

Does anyone else use oats as a grain? I am using unrolled oats, which take an hour to cook. You can eat them like oatmeal (tastier and crunchier, but the same idea) but they also work well as a savory dish - with cheese and eggs, for example.

Their super power is a glycemic index around 40. I can eat a bunch of this and the rise in blood sugar is very gradual and easily treated with insulin.

White rice has a glycemic index around 72, for comparison.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2 Likes

Oatmeal is my preferred pre-race fuel. It has a very slow delivery so it stays with you. :+1:

4 Likes

When you say unrolled do you mean steel cut or oat groats? I haven’t gotten around to groats yet but I have steel cut just about every morning with 2 tbls raisins. Something I never would have attempted the first year or so on insulin.

I add two teaspoons of flaxseed meal and two tablespoons of peanut butter. Otherwise they will give me a straight arrow up even with a 30 minute pre bolus. I usually stay below 150 for this breakfast.

Anecdotally I believe I need less basal insulin the next few hours after I eat oatmeal. Like it’s made me temporarily more insulin sensitive or something.

They are amazing with olive oil, parm and pine nuts. One of my favorite dinners.

2 Likes

I mean Oat Groats, although I like steel cut as well. I substitute it for rice - or as oatmeal in the morning. Just had some for breakfast today - I add brown sugar (!), milk, and nuts. Very good!

I suspect that the low glycemic index applies only to the less processed kinds of oatmeal - like instant oats may well spike you up (and it doesn’t taste anything like the less processed versions).

Does anyone have any experience on the difference on blood sugar levels between, say, instant oatmeal and steel cut oats?

e

I’ll have to give groats a try in the new year! I might be able to shave a few minutes off my 30 minute pre bolus which would be nice.

I haven’t had instant since starting insulin but… the regular oats will produce a double arrow up for me even with adding flax seed meal and peanut butter. Much much faster than steel cut. I can’t imagine how fast instant would be.

I buy a sprouted regular oats called One Degree and for some reason they are slower than regular oats but taste just the same. It’s like the sprouting process slows them down or something. Also if you make overnight oats that seems to make the regular oats as slow as steel cut. - no idea why?

I’m a little in love with oats if you can’t tell.

1 Like

Just guessing that the sprouts consume some of the available carbohydrates.

2 Likes