How to spellcheck your posts

Discourse, our present forum platform, has outstanding strengths, but does not include a spellchecker. So how can you spellcheck your posts?

If you are asking, it is because you are using the Chrome browser on a computer to post :slight_smile: Why:

• both Android and iOS come with an integrated spellchecker

• both Firefox and Safari browsers come with an integrated spellchecker.

I find the native spellcheckers to be solid, although not dazzling. Obviously, one possible solution is to use Firefox (or Safari) to post.

But there is a much better option! On Chrome, I use the browser extension Grammarly. it spellchecks me on the fly, and with more power than any native spellchecker I use. I am very pleased with it. I use the free version, btw – it is enough for me.

So there you go – if you post with Chrome, the free Grammarly extension will give you excellent spellchecking :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ode to the Spell Checker

Eye halve a spelling checker
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marks four my revue miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word and weight for it to say
Weather eye yam wrong oar write.
It shows me strait a weigh as soon as a mist ache is maid.
It nose bee fore two long and eye can put the error rite.
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it,
I am shore your pleased to no.
Its letter perfect awl the way.
My checker told me sew.

Jerrold H. Zar

11 Likes

Munich iPhones does it for me… so it’s not a proble

2 Likes

Loved your poem and had a good laugh!

1 Like

Does that check grammar too?

1 Like

Me agree with @Michel. Good grammar is much good. Reasoning why good grammir is needed is because good grammer maens people can communicate gooder. However, dynamic, language, is. Expressing of peoples ideas can very. As lnog as peoples’ maenings can be understanded easily, then I feel all is good.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

If they do, the grammar checking is very minimal, nothing like Grammarly’s paid version.

Funny :slight_smile:

I was surprised yesterday when I posted and the spell checker didn’t work. I use Firefox and thought it was integrated. Today low and behold it’s working. I guess it’s integrated except when it isn’t :wink:

2 Likes

I got tired of seeing the spellcheck flag these words all the time, so I just added them to my dictionary. There are a bunch more I am probably forgetting.

insulins
OmniPod
Afrezza
Tresiba
Lantus
Levemir
Humalog
NovoLog

1 Like

I had an old phone that kept a list of all the words I’d inadvertently added to its dictionary over the years. Looking at that list was a horrifying glimpse into my soul.

5 Likes

Thanks, I got it, and it works!

1 Like