How to Do the Outdoors?

It’s super cool you have a training partner! :star_struck: That’s awesome!

I can do a deep dive on fueling stuff in a little bit.

But in the meantime, let me give you a homework assignment.

This homework assignment lasts forever. :man_facepalming:

But it is really easy to do and will be very helpful.

And the reason I recommend this is because I come from a background of about 11 years without a BG meter of any kind. And about 20 years without a good meter that actually gave reasonably accurate numbers. :joy:

I also have about 43 years of diabetes without a CGM. :open_mouth:

What did all that time without any BG info do for me? It made me pretty darn good at knowing what my BG was at all times without the help of a meter or CGM!

Here is the thing to do that helps you know your BG.

Before you ever look at your CGM, and before you ever do a BG test…say what your BG is. And then check and see how close you were to the number.

Every time, before you look, say the number to yourself.

Use everything you already have in your head.

• How do you feel?
  • Are you tired? Hungry? Cranky? Sleepy? Thirsty?
  • When was the last time you ate?
  • What did you eat?
  • When was the last time you took insulin?
  • What was your BG the last time you checked or looked at your CGM?
  • How long ago was that?!?!
  • What have you done since then?!?

How close were you? Were you way off? If so, why do you think you were far off? If you were close, that’s great!

Every time, you just analyze your guess and the result. And then reset your brain and do it again before your next BG meter or CGM check.

It’s just practice. You can get good at knowing your BG.

And if you think this is ridiculous, consider that this is how we used to have to do it! We had no choice! (“We” meaning us old-timers. :grinning:)

Around here, that is know as “The Force”. I have preached this to so many people here.

Here is a link to a discussion about it on another thread. BTW, Liam is awesome! I got to meet him. :heart_eyes:

7 Likes