How do you keep track of your Omnipod PDM?

@ClaudnDaye PM me your address and I will put in the post for you!

3 Likes

Thanks, but Iā€™m not the diabetic in my family and Liam (my son) is still too small to wear one. When he gets older (heā€™s 3 atm), and if heā€™s as fashionable as me, Iā€™ll get back with you on that! lol

Thanks to you I checked that link, then talked to the Omnipod online rep. I found out that it is the hard case that @Aaron is talking about:

After discussion, the guy told me that it only wraps around the back but does not protect the front, and, as @Aaron, says, he also mentioned it is quite bulky. Itā€™s funny: when I looked at the picture on the web site, I thought it was a neoprene case with a belt clip, which I felt might just be perfect!

I also checked myabetic, sugarmedical, and tallygear - no luck so far. We may need to look at DIYā€¦

1 Like

@Eric!!! hehehehehe

Honestly, thoughā€¦even a DIY wouldnā€™t help much because you canā€™t make the PDM any smaller than it isā€¦itā€™s bulky as it is. :frowning:

3 Likes

I am not sure how long it will sit on the shelf for :smile: I may throw it out when Liam becomes older and unfashionable.

But seriously - hopefully by the time Liam is older the new android phone PDM will be approved and it will fit in his pocket.

3 Likes

I am thinking a neoprene (or nylon/cordura) case, sewn in the front, possibly with a plastic window in front, hole for the buttons area, and a tab in the back to which you can clip a ring, a tether or a carabiner. Then my son would clip it to his sling bag and QED.

2 Likes

Hopefully by the time heā€™s a teenager, thereā€™s A CURE!!! And yesā€¦I AM holding out hope for a cure and I AM holding my breath.

6 Likes

Never lost a PDM (never had one), but in the early Dexcom days (STS3) the transmitters didnā€™t clip in like they do now.

I lost one in the parking lot at the supermarket and didnā€™t realize until I got home.

I rushed back to the store. It was about an hour later and dark now. I tried to estimate where I had parked, moved my flashlight around on the asphalt, and there it was!

I should have gone back into the store and bought a lottery ticket :smile:

3 Likes

Here is my PDM as it was when I lost (and found) it. I wear the bright yellow silicone skin so that I can find it more easily if I lose it (but it did not help, really).

This is my T1D chain on top of it.

2 Likes

Do you wear your chain around your neck? This reminds me to label my things. I need to laminate my name and number and put it inside my case.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the same dog tag Iā€™ve gotā€¦ except mine is black and has my name on itā€¦ I donā€™t wear it very often any more.

This is another real consideration of why I prefer MDIā€¦ if I was off the grid and had a hardware failure, loss, damage, whatever, Iā€™d be totally screwedā€” I always have numerous pens and needles with me-- itā€™s not practical to always have numerous pumps, pdms, etc at all times

2 Likes

No, but it is quite easy to have 5 needles and a pen cartridge of insulin on you, along with a pump. We almost always are carrying both for those times that a site goes down. You donā€™t have to have two pumps to have a backup plan.

2 Likes

This happened to my boyfriend EHā€™s Dexcom G4 CGM receiver, while we were in Argentina, on our fifth day of a 30 day trip around the world this March. It slipped out of his pocket. We realized it on the way out of the hotel, heading to the airport, looked for it where we knew it was, didnā€™t find it, begged the hotel to look in the chair where it got lost, and eventually it was found. Like weeks afterwards. And Hilton shipped it back to the USA for us (at our cost, overnight, ouch). But, no Dexcom for the trip. Luckily, we had plenty of test strips and a meter (and a spare).

This wasnā€™t the first time something like this happened. Heā€™s lost insulin pens out of his pockets, a pill container made from wood, and so on. I think menā€™s dress pants pockets and slim jeans all have stupid little pockets, prone to stuff dumping out of them. Iā€™ve considered velcro or something.

Iā€™m so glad your mom found it, but youā€™re not alone. Pockets can suck, but feeling like you have to carry a giant bag of stuff on you is frustrating too. Tightrope balancing act! Being weighed down drives EH nuts.

I love @Ericā€™s suggestion about this.

I only realized the wisdom in this habit in my 30ā€™s, and became dedicated to a landing spot for belongings at home, and was habitually losing my keys, wallet, and phone for the my entire life prior. I actually use ā€œKeys, Wallet, Phoneā€ as a mantra when I depart the house - and itā€™s solved a lot of problems. I think a dibe could do the same with ā€œInsulin, Testing Kit, CGMā€ or ā€œPump, Pump Parts, Whatever.ā€

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a brilliant idea. I basically force all my students to label their cameras and laptops and anything of value in my college classes. But Iā€™ve never once thought of dibe stuff! Thanks!

2 Likes

When you try on the pants before you buy them, you put your stuff in the pockets and make sure they will work. If it fits my body but does not properly contain my (currently) 2 pieces of D gear, I donā€™t want it.

3 Likes

It isnā€™t the most discrete look and you might get some unwanted attention in different parts of the world. But the plus is that there is a pocket for Everything!

3 Likes

@Irish, I do wear my chain. I also have a bracelet. This way if I lose one the other is still on.

My father got a special tag engraved with my name and all of our phone numbers. I carry it on my diabetes bag. I can find out where he got it if you want.

I also have a medical equipment tag on my bag. But I donā€™t think it will help much: @Cody had his bag stolen even though it was also tagged with a medical equipment tag. Thatā€™s nasty because nobody can make any money selling our diabetes gear, but we can get into real trouble without it.

1 Like

Mine also has my name and phone number on it, but on the other side.

Thereā€™s a company that makes ID bracelets for folks that do sports specifically, theyā€™re flat, so if you wipeout on the road they wonā€™t snag as badly.

Road ID

imagehttps://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/RoadID/RoadID-Elite-Catalog?IDCatalog

I find their examples to be boring. EHā€™s is much funnier - it says a his full name and T1D Gimme Sugar! across the top. And then it has a few phone numbers. They make lots of engravable stuff, and itā€™s clear and easy to read.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s funny! On the back of my race bibs, where you are supposed to put an emergency contact number, I always write:

ā€œIf you are reading this, it means I need sugar.
Not insulin! SUGAR!
And you can call my wife only after you give me sugar.ā€
Thanks!"

7 Likes