How do you handle 15 g of carbs when starting at a low/normal BG?

:grin: I’m happy to share my experiences (and I’m glad they’ve been helpful)! Afrezza has really eliminated a lot of stress for me this past year with chasing my kids, traveling, and trying to manage daily life with several chronic health issues. It’s good stuff!

1 Like

Maybe I’m an outlier, but I use the bolus calc all the time. My meals vary a lot in size and composition, so I can’t assume dinner will be 50 g carb like yesterday and the day before and the day before. I therefore find the bolus calculation useful for giving me a starting point, from which I make adjustments up or down based on CGM trend, predicted activity, type of carb in the meal, and so on. Otherwise, I’d have to think “OK, this is my BG and this is my carb count, and this is my IC ratio for this time of day, so that comes out to … hmm, add that, carry that, subtract that, which makes … X units.” I can figure it out if I need to, but do I want to be doing that thinking in the middle of cooking a meal and talking to people? Let the machine do it.

1 Like

My son does the same as you, uses the bolus wizard and then adjusts.

1 Like

@Beacher @Nickyghaleb I also use the bolus wizard. I often override, but I think it’s a pretty good starting point. At least you have all the info there on the screen (bolus, correction, IOB), so that you can make an educated adjustment. It works for me.

1 Like

Sorry to have hijacked this original thread. :slight_smile: All “pick eater” discussions have been moved to the Discussions around Picking eaters thread.

1 Like

Literally, everything he eats that is not high fat / high starch. So, salads and anything green no matter how it’s prepared, meats, fish, eggs, etc.,

Hope you’re not apologizing to me…

To everyone! Sometimes it takes a day or two to realize we’ve :hijacked:!

4 Likes

If you are ever interested in breaking free from needing the machine to tell you bolus amounts, try it this way:

Before you even add up the carb totals in the meal. And before you even look at the nutrition label on the food! Before you enter your BG number into the pump, or do any such thing - make your bolus guess first.

Only after making your mental guess do you look at nutrition info, count up the carbs, enter the carb numbers, enter the BG number, and see what the pump tells you.

See how much you were above or below, and then make your final adjustments.

You are still getting the number from the pump, but it becomes less of a thing you need. By always making your own guess first, it helps to learn amounts better.

It is a lot like the strategy of studying for a test. You read the question, then think of the answer, and then read the answer to see if you were correct. It is a much better way of studying than just reading the answer all the time and never figuring it out yourself.

@Chris, you posted one time that Cody did that with a bowl of cereal without looking at it? That’s the way to be.

3 Likes

Much like “Beat the Dexcom” except “Beat the Label!” :smiley:

1 Like

There are a few people here who do not use the bolus calcs. I can’t remember all of them, but I think @MM2 does not use bolus calcs.

I would be interested to see who does not use them at all. I am guessing it will be mostly us old-timers doing it that way.

2 Likes

I used to be in the camp who never use bolus calcs. I generally just looked at a meal and guessed. It looks like an x unit meal. I used to travel a lot and eat out all the time so it worked just fine. At this time my I:C ratio was probably 1:12 or 1:10.

Then… I hit a time in my life where I had an I:C ratio of 1:3 but 1 unit would drop me 2 mmol/l ( 36) - which is sort of non-textbook. What this actually translated to was if I carb counted wrong (like a couple of grams of carbs), I either had way to much insulin that would drop me or too little insulin a that would send my BGs up. I sort of overcame this by being more accurate with carb counting (I admit to using a scale at home :face_with_raised_eyebrow: ) and using a bolus calculator for meals.

But… for corrections - I sugar surf with no bolus calculator - Hey I am rising - I will give 2 units. Oh… slow rise - let’s hit it with 1/2 Unit. etc.

3 Likes

Then again this morning was completely using the force and not using a bolus calculator…

Take that morning high(-ish) BG and breakfast… :smile:

1 Like

for food out we often just bolus an amount (0.6 units upfront, 0.6 later, etc.) rather than entering carbs into the bolus wizard. Gives us more flexibility later too because openAPS will ramp up insulin or ramp down based on carb counts – which we can enter and delete at will from NightScout, but are hard-coded and unchangeable if we use bolus wizard.

1 Like

When we’re eating out, we always do “best guess” nowadays…we don’t use any guides or look anything up on the internet. We (Erin and I) figure out best guess for how many carbs the food is that he’ll eat and just bolus him for it. It’s way too much work to always have to look things up like that. If we have to correct because we over-bolused, we just do that – but 9 times out of 10, we underbolus (which is an easy fix, just give more insulin)

2 Likes

I’m the under-bolus queen. Now I’m trying to unlearn those habits, which is not to say you guys are in the same boat. I’ve just spent many years way too high from fear of lows. My default seems to be bolusing about 80% of what I should really get. Not sure how that happened.

2 Likes

Yes - I have changed to overbolus and “never waste a good low” but that was post me getting a CGM.

I was converted by Stephen Ponder / Sugar surfing who basically says - don’t worry about giving to much as long as you have some glucose with you.

2 Likes

For us, it’s ALWAYS been easier to correct a potential low, then to correct a HIGH (or anything over 300 for that matter).

3 Likes

Converted and then returned? You said overbolusing was “post CGM”… Do you still overbolus, or did getting the CGM stop that? I’m a chronic CGM-wearing over-boluser now. Looking for something between “under bolus queen” and “chronic over-boluser”. :smiley:

Lows are just more fun. When there’s stuff around worth getting excited over. :slight_smile:

1 Like