How do you handle 15 g of carbs when starting at a low/normal BG?

My aim is limiting the peak after meal. Sometimes controlled by mix of fats and proteins, but higher carb meals will bolus on higher end, with plans to eat more later based on CGMS.

1 Like

So… do you typically eat the same things over and over??? Or do you check labels and THEN go with a gut… do you eyeball EVERYTHING?

I’m not trying to be difficult. I’m just trying to assimilate, and that can be tough. I “eyeballed” and under-bolused for most of my years as a diabetic. Everything was a rough estimate. I think I must’ve been wrong all of the time. I must’ve corrected at 120s and overeaten at 250s and just “sugar surfed” but in a really bad, perverted way. Then I had an endo walk into the office one time with a calculator, and she sat smacking away at that thing for 6 solid minutes before speaking. Through her, I’ve learned this disease is a disease of numbers. So I understand trying to get in sync with your own patterns, but how does “eyeballing” not cause terrible roller coasters??

By this point in my life I have pretty much eaten all things in all circumstances in all amounts, numerous times. It isn’t the same thing every day, but I’ve generally had it before. I’ve pigged out before, I’ve eaten like a bird before, I’ve done it when tired, energetic, with falling BG, rising BG, right after exercise, right after slacking, everything.

No reason to reinvent the wheel every time.

3 Likes

I mean I converted when I got CGM. And I still have a CGM and I continue to bolus - erring on the side of being low.

1 Like

I kinda got tired of entering carbs into xDrip+, so now without that data the bolus calculator does not work. Now I just practice the " look and shoot" method. I know how close I was a couple hours later and correct.

But I need to do better. My A1c is only about 6, and the doc wanted 6.5. But he should be happy I’m only averaging about 1 serious low a month.

3 Likes

I never used the bolus calc when I had a pump. I knew my I:C ratios, and I knew my correction factors. I love math, so calculating it in my head was never a chore. It’s just basic stuff.

It definitely made switching back to MDI super easy too.

I can see the appeal of using the pump to do all that work though. I just wouldn’t want to bother entering all that crap into it. So time consuming…

2 Likes

Old-timer here! I often don’t do formal bolus calculations. For some things, when the carbs are known or told to me, I start with that number (but often it’s so unreliable, especially for things where serving sizes are doled by humans like at restaurants or cafeterias, that I substitute my best guess anyway). Otherwise I just come up with a number, which I think is based on some rough estimation of carbs, but I’m not necessarily explicitly doing that step in my head at this point, and besides, in my experience the carb count is only one factor in figuring out the impact of the food anyway, so if it’s a food I’ve had before (or eaten similar enough stuff), my mental heuristic for the food is likely going to be superior to a carb count.

4 Likes

Sometimes very similar meals in terms of approx carbs, fats and proteins, lots of veggies, minimal starchy foods.
Don’t eat too many packaged foods with labels, but do check for portion size/carb approximation for some.

Mostly a combination of gut feel and eyeball, and being ok with not getting it right. With CGMS, Afrezza, pump and carbs on stand by, I was doing sugar surfing before the book came out.

With the Omnipod PDM with its built-in meter, from the time I get my BG result (or press No for no current BG), I can enter my carbs and get my suggested dose in 3 or 4 seconds. (I just timed it, twice.) I don’t consider that time-consuming. It would take me considerably longer to do in my head, and I despise math, so why would I really want to?

Glad, though, to not be in the “old-timer” camp for a change. How rejuvenating!

4 Likes

Uncommon scenario with “I need to do better”, no?? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Nickyghaleb. My A1c has traditionally been 5.6-5.8. After my recent stroke my doc has insisted that I raise it to 6.5, presumably to eliminate hypoglycemia.

2 Likes

So sorry… I hope you are doing well…

1 Like

IF I manage to keep deer out of my veggie patch, they are fun to grow!

1 Like