How do you handle 15 g of carbs when starting at a low/normal BG?

With brussels sprouts, it’s all about the high heat cooking. That flavor that a lot of people object to that comes with boiling or braising isn’t there with roasting or frying. So good! I love those, but still can’t get into braised ones.

Also, this surprised me, but Smashburger makes really good brussels sprouts as a side (I think fried? or roasted, they come out similar) if you have one near you and want to try them that way.

1 Like

Only if I’ve been sedated, fed them, and have no recollection of it. :smiley:

I’m GUESSING they’re good? Them being tossed and clarified and all? :smiley:

My mom, yes, she still tries to get me to eat them, tries calling them ‘little cabbages” because she can’t remember calling them that the last time and it not working. I love vegetables. I don’t love brussel sprouts. Or lima beans. Or asparagus, come to think of it.

But you’re talking about sliced grapes and whatnot… which means you can cook. That might help— my being able to cook.

Never heard of Smashburger… but a SIDE of brussel sprouts might be my kind of thing to try. I bet they taste a lot like all sides… all fatty and salty. :smiley:

http://smashburger.com/

Super highly caloric stuff, so beware. But they have gluten-free buns, and so I went the other day with my girlfriend who is gluten-free when we wanted to grab food quickly, and we split an order of the brussels sprouts and were super impressed and surprised by how good they were. Similar to what I’ve had in gastropubs and the like. And yes, fatty and salty!

I just said, “yes,” “yes,” and “yes!” as i went point by point on that… i do those things. Just at about the same numbers. I don’t know why I have so little faith in my treatment choices… or my overall care. I’ve gotta stop that. Although there’s lot of information in these responses I’ve never tried or even heard of, there’s plenty that’s very familiar.

I’m not sure I’ve said it, but I really enjoy this site. You guys are good. :smiley:

“Gastropubs”… I read that as like gastroenterology bars… but that probably can’t be…

Ha, no it’s gastronomy + pub, to refer to a pub that serves more high end food. Think hipster foodie pub. Gastronomy and gastroenterology have the same root though!

@Nickyghaleb I miss spoke. What I’m looking at is the trend and because I use xDrip+, the momentum. That gives me a very good idea of where things are going.

I ate salad tonight and my starting BG was 5.1 (92), no IOB. My dinner consisted of salad, a bit of chicken and hummus totalling 18g of carbs. I gave a bolus of 0.75 (I:C ratio of 1:15) right before I ate. Here is my graph following dinner. It’s been about 4 1/2 hours since I ate and bolused and my current BG is 5.8 (104). It doesn’t always work out this way - I was lucky tonight!

1 Like

Only joking. :slight_smile: truth be told, i had no idea what you were talking about because i haven’t eaten out in years, but I highly doubted it had anything to do with GI stuff. Or at least i hoped not. :smiley:

That’s why I asked… i’d like to achieve something like that. It’s not easy…

1 Like

There’s also lots on here about Afrezza… I’m not familiar with it at all. Is it something you do in addition to basal and bolus?? And how fast acting is it exactly??

Afrezza is amazing. You use it in place of (or can be along with) your usual bolus insulin. For me, it peaks in about 12 minutes. It has a shorter duration of action (completely gone in about 2 hours), which is why I end up using Novolog as well to cover any longer digesting portions of my meal (you can just dose additional Afrezza, but I don’t have enough on my prescription for that). One of the big benefits in addition to no need for pre-bolusing is no carb counting - it comes in more of small-medium-large dosages.

2 Likes

That’s great information. I’d heard of it maybe, but I certainly had no idea what it was. So I understand how it would eliminate the need for pre-bolusing at that rate to peak, but how does it eliminate the need for carb-counting? That part is not as easy to understand…

Definitely helps someone on the pump. :slightly_smiling_face: also I see more talk about afrezza… I don’t know anything about it but am curious now. How do you like it?

1 Like

So your frequent overriding is similar to my initial swag, probably based on similar factors that you use to determine the override amount.

In my case, most meals follow a similar pattern/ratio of protein, fats, carbs, from about 30 most common foods. Some seasonal changes. Since it is low/moderate carb, higher fat/protein, the carb-based bolus wizard doesn’t make sense for me.

It’s great!!

Just as @Pianoplayer7008 says, it kicks in almost immediately, and peaks within 15 minutes. That’s fast enough that you can see an upward trend on your Dex, dose, and then see it flatten out
20 minutes later then begin to drop. For me, that’s pure gold.

It doesn’t last as long though, so I tend to use Humalog for high protein/fat meals like pizza, and then add Afrezza here and there if necessary. I’ve been experimenting with combining the two more lately.

It’s really convenient to use Afrezza when I go out too. I never minded dosing with a pen in front of friends, but I wasn’t a big fan of doing that in front of new people. I don’t necessarily want to have that conversation at happy hour every time I go.

1 Like

It wasn’t really easy for me to understand at first, and did take a bit of experimentation to see how much it would cover. It comes in 4u, 8u, and 12u dosages, so you just have to eyeball amount of food and guesstimate at carbs to get a ballpark to know if you’re going to need a small, medium, or large dose. For me, I am prescribed only 4’s, but that works for me since that’s what I need most often - I take 1-2us Novolog with most meals (30-50 carbs), and I need a 4u Afrezza for those meals.

1 Like

And now I will stop bothering you and do some research. :grin: Our last exchange ended up in the freestyle Libre on my arm, so I hope you know I actually follow up on these conversations!

1 Like