Help! G6 calibration error

I started a new G6 sensor and transmitter today, and of course have had to calibrate, or try to calibrate I should say. I got a calibration error “Calibrate after 7:46 pm.” Which I did, but the calibration error won’t go away. I don’t get a new error, the original one won’t go away. I tried calibrating again, but still the calibration error won’t go away. It’s now 8:15 pm and still the calibration error shows up. Help! Any suggestions? Thanks.

2 Likes

You should contact dexcom.technical support. I had similar error, and tech support said it was transmitter problem even though was reporting sensor calibration error… they sent me new transmitter overnite and then worked fine with sensor that gave errors prior day.

2 Likes

@MM2
Thanks for your help! I called Tech support and they said it was a sensor error. Told me to take the sensor off and put on a new one, they would send me a replacement. They told you transmitter and told me sensor, sometimes I wonder if they even know what they are doing.
Hopefully the new sensor works, I quickly run out of areas to place the sensor if I have to keep replacing them. 🤷

2 Likes

When you start sensor, do you enter the 4 digit code?
If so, it should not be asking for calibration. So on original sensor, if code was entered, then it does sound like sensor error.

In my case I got error whether I entered code or not, so that may be what led to transmitter replacement. (And they sent new sensor too).

Glad it worked out for you.

1 Like

@MM2
Yes, I did enter the sensor code, so hopefully it was a problem with the sensor. I started a new sensor this morning and so far it is talking to the transmitter. So that’s good. It’s not as close to my meter reading as I’d like, but I guess I’ll just wait it out, and hopefully it will get better. Is that what you do with a new sensor? Just wait and hope it tracks the meter eventually?

Yes, I wait for 3-6 hours, but mine are usually very close within hour.
Depends on how close to meal with quick bg rise. But when flat, I’m more likely to check if it’s not matching what I think.

1 Like

@MM2
What do you do if you wait and it doesn’t match up?

Assuming I entered code, and bg is flat, I would enter calibration. But if difference is big, I might enter number halfway between them, wait and test again and enter another based on new bg reading.

If enter bg that is too far off, then the result may be sensor error.

Also try to be well hydrated!!

3 Likes

I wait it out. My current G6 sensor was by far the worst in startup. When the 2-hour warmup finished it was a little low, but then it proceeded to drop to 39mg/dL after 6 hours. It came back up and by the next morning (about 12 hours after insertion) it was 10mg/dL low, which is perfectly fine with me.

If it didn’t correct itself within 24 hours I’d try calibrating it.

Some people insert the new sensor 12 hours before they intend to start the session (i.e. while the transmitter is still working on the old sensor) because they say “soaking” the sensor that way enables it to be more accurate from the start. I believe that could have worked with the G5, but I would think it would interfere with the G6 compensation (for the phantom apparent BG drop) during the first 12 hours.

3 Likes

Thanks @MM2 and @bkh for your help. Good info!

2 Likes