Has anyone had a colonoscope with type 1?

That prep regimen is seemingly a tiny fraction of what I had to go through… unless you left out a lot of the steps.

I had osmoprep the first time and mobiprep the second time. Osmo prep vastly vastly preferable imo. Either one of them was pretty gnarley in terms of cleaning out the pipes

1 Like

the actual prep started 4 days before all the cleansing liquids. i had to chagne my diet, first off. all white or clear foods for 4 days. no grains, no nuts, no seeds, nothing red or purple. everything soft, like eggs. no meat other than white meat chicken.no dairy other than plain yogurt. then just chicken broth or water or clear soda or plain tea for the last day before for the entire day starting with bfast.

i did also find out that i have a very long colon, and that could have contributed to why the cleansing was incomplete. last night (the night after the procedure) i spent pooping up until around betime. when i woke up this morning i had lost 3 pounds!

does this sound closer to what you were doing for your prep?

Yeah that sounds closer… when I first read it, it made it sound like you just took some Dulcolax and drank some Gatorade… I jad to do the whole diet thing when I did mobi prep… didn’t have to do anything of the sort with osmo prep… if given the
chance again I’d specifically ask the doc if I could do osmo prep… it was just a series of pills you had to swallow and drink a given amount of plain water… much more pleasant than trying to choke down that vile liquid

2 Likes

Are all these Gatorade references autocorrects for Golytely? I didn’t drink any Gatorade, but I drank a 4 L bottle of Golytely in addition to taking a bunch of Dulcolax the night before. I’m fairly sure I had a day and a half of cleaning out, plus about three days of the dietary requirements, before my actual procedure.

2 Likes

first off, what is an “osmo prep?” and what is a “mobi prep?”

i only drank the Gatorade b/c it had electrolytes in it; otherwise, i would have just mixed the Miralax with plain water. that SF Lemon/Lime Gatorade was one of the most discuting thangs i have ever had to swallow. i have tried with Citrus of Magnesia, but thats even worse than the Gatorade :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

anyway, live and learn. hopefully, when i have to go through all of this again in October, i will have a better, more educated plan to follow. at least i was able to manage my BGs throughout the entire process. i thought that part would be an absolute hell.

I am so sorry you had to do that and it didn’t work. That’s a bummer. But you’ve come across with valuable BG data, so that’s a plus?

They’re brand name colon preparations. Every prep is different and every doctor recommends a different prep (my mom and I had colonoscopies at two separate medical centers, the instructions were vastly different.) Also every insurance covers different preparations. I’ve heard the pills plus water that were mentioned are not as effective for complete cleansing as the gallon of liquid. I assume you had Gatorade because they do worry about dehydration and running an IV is harder if you’re dehydrated. So maybe the Gatorade was to fight that off.

I am a big fan of switching to a soft foods/low residue diet well in advance of the procedure. Less stuff to exit, if you get my drift. I believe I switched a week beforehand.

Hopefully when you give it a try in October your physician can help get all of this stuff dialed in and have it be a success!

Here’s the Stanford recommendation for colon prep. They do what’s called a split prep, and there’s reason to believe (based on research) that people have a more successful clean out this way. Also if it fails, you will have an idea the night before and can take specific laxatives to add to the movement.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Mira lax is a joke for prep… osmo prep / mobi prep/ golytley etc are the big guns that’ll really clean you out… unfortunate they didn’t start you out with that

I’d not drink anything colored even if it’s not red during the final prep… not even Gatorade, but that’s just me

1 Like

Btw, I always said you were full of it…

1 Like

HAHAHAHA :rofl:

I used suprep with the split dose for mine and it seemed to do the trick. My BG’s were flatlined pretty much the whole time with all the fasting (hooray! basal is dialed in)

1 Like

I think that was the name of the prep I used. I’ll find out soon, because we have appointments coming up to make the appointment for the colonoscopy. My husband and I go to the same practice, but his doc uses one kind of prep and mine uses another, which sounds like the one you’re mentioning, suprep. I remember I didn’t like it much, mainly because it kept me up through the night. It had an odd timing regime to it. I’ll soon be reminded of it again! :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. my BGs were flatlined too throughout the prep, but i used a lowering of my basal rate as the prep went on. all of those liquids combined with the laxatives really lowered the glucose in my blood. i went down gradually from 100% to 70% TB and after the procedure, i put my basal back up to 100%. it worked out well. that was the ONLY part of it that i felt sucessful with. and i must say that i did REALLY feel sucessful!!!

just got my latest A1c yesterday and it was 5.2%. proud of that, too.

and PS: i went from weighing 106 down to 102 lbs, and i have remained at 102 all week. maybe i was really clogged up without even knowing it and that is part of what contributed to the failure to fully evacuate my colon. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Were you having sugar-free or regular liquids? In a post above you mentioned diet soda.

The few times I’ve been on a liquid diet, I only consume about half my normal carbs, even with regular soda, fruit juice and regular jello. Is it possible your BG drops, not because of the liquids and laxatives, but because you were consuming less carbs? Which to me might indicate my basals might be a bit too high.

Great A1c, by the way! Must be all that walking across the bridge for Chinese food.:wink:

1 Like

i was having all SF liquids.

completely possible. i wasnt even thinking of that. i was only thinking of how my body responds to drinking SF liquids (decaf, diet soda, water, etc.). my BG always goes low after drinking non-carbs. ALWAYS.

2 Likes