Hard to believe Liam is 9 today!

Where does the time go…. Seems like just yesterday I was lamenting his diagnosis, at 2 years old, and now here we are, going on 7 years later, and although everything changed, it’s our “normal” now, and I don’t even remember life before his diagnosis. I know it happened…I just turned 50 myself. All the “stuff” we do regularly is just what we all have to learn to do to live the best lives possible.

It took me at least 3 years to become more “laid back” and not as OCD but I really think that’s the best way to help him stay positive and not become burned out at too young of an age.

He saw his oldest brother move out (20), and her asked me if he’ll have to move out when he gets older too. I told him NO! I would love if all my kids would stay with me forever…but inevitably they all grow up and want to start living their own lives. But, I’ve let him know I will help take care of him until my last dying breath if that’s what he wants, and needs. I want him to be independent but I also want him to know I will never abandon him. It has to be a scary proposition to think about as a 9 year old, all the things that he’ll have to do one day alone. He knows I will always be here for him in any way I can be.

Anyway, he’s 9 today and I’m happy but I’m also sad. Sad that the years are gone and it’s as if only a second has passed since he was born…same with all my kids really…same with all of anyone’s kids…. You blink and they are all grown up.

17 Likes

Happy Birthday, big guy!!

:heart: :birthday:

happy-birthday

8 Likes

Happy Birthday Liam!

8 Likes

Happy Birthday Liam!

8 Likes

Happy Birthday Liam - from me and Dall-E!

a 9 year old boy running down a yellow brick road surrounded by a green forest with mount fuji in the distance

8 Likes

Here’s the same prompt, van gogh style …

10 Likes

Nice art @bostrav59!

5 Likes

Happy Birthday, Liam!!! :birthday:

7 Likes

@ClaudnDaye I feel likewise, though it’s my grandson I’m thinking about. The years go by more quickly the older we get! I was there the day of Oliver’s birth, assuring both my daughter and our son-in-law it would all be OK despite the lack of an owner’s manual, normal to feel overwhelmed, and while it doesn’t become easier (the problems and issues just change) it would become more “normal”…even the bigger challenges that come along. BTW, I share Liam’s birthday with my own anniversary and the birth of my nephew…the reason by brother, a preacher, wasn’t the one performing my wife’s and my wedding!

Congrats to Liam and his parents for both surviving and flourishing (you can see it in the eye’s in the picture) despite the challenges he’s already overcome! I wish the best for his future, no matter his wants and needs for independence, and may the “old folks” always be proud of his accomplishments, big and small alike!!

8 Likes

WOW @bostrav59 the Van Gogh style is super nice!!

4 Likes

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LIAM!! I hope it’s a great one!!

6 Likes

Happy Birthday, Liam, the fireworks are for you.

7 Likes

Happy Birthday Liam!

9 Likes

Hoping he (and your family) had a wonderful day! I totally get you on time passing quickly. It is absolutely astonishing. Liam is gorgeous! :heart:

6 Likes

I’m late to the party…but HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LIAM!!!

And way to go @ClaudnDaye!! The adjusting and normalizing of life with T1D, for a child no less, is truly inspiring.

8 Likes