Happy day for parents of young T1D kids

It looks like Liam could be getting his first shot in the next week or two. Ecstatic parent here. We will soon have only one remaining in our house that will be unvaccinated … He’s 3. That’ll be soon probably though… Beginning of next year probably.

13 Likes

Congratulations!

3 Likes

Great news for your family. Glad it got approved.

3 Likes

@ClaudnDaye Didn’t think they were doing kids yet, thought it was still waiting on “official” final approval. I’m glad to see it though. My grandson just started school and while they seem to be taking precautions, schools just seem a transfer station for the latest illnesses. Will be glad when he’s eligible and gets his own protection! Please advise who it goes, perceived side-effects et al…I’ll pass to my daughter/son-in-law.

3 Likes

Yes, you are correct. But the FDA nod of approval was the final big hurdle…final approval is imminent - probably within days if not a week.

3 Likes

Yes, we scheduled Samson and his big brother. That leaves one youngin’ left. But I think we will breathe a huge sigh of relief once Samson gets his shot.

3 Likes

Right there with you.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if the dose is changed based on age or weight? Each vax brand has only one dose size for adults, but I am wondering if they give a 5 year old the same amount.

1 Like

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-positive-topline-results

4 Likes

no the dose is based on age – apparently that’s more relevant for immunogenicity (what we care about) than weight.

5-11s are getting a 10 microgram dose, which is a third of the adult Pfizer dose. Weirdly, in the Moderna trial they are giving a 50microgram dose to the 12-17s and the 5-11s – so half the adult dose of 100 micrograms but still 5 times as much mRNA as is given in the Pfizer vaccine.

This may be why the Moderna is more effective and has less immune waning, but it may also lead to more cases of myocarditis. I’m a little skeptical FDA will approve it alt all for kids.

5 Likes