Going back to Omnipod 5, how long to wait post Tresiba? Reset or no?

Hi, all.
I am thinking of going back to OP5 after a brief pump break. I currently take Tresiba at 7 am each day. If I want to begin pod tomorrow, can I begin at 7? Thanks for any suggestions/ideas to help this run smooth. Also, I know my basal of Tresiba now and my actual I/C ratios, and TDI. I sort of feel like I want to reset again with better quality information and be patient while it learns me rather than wait for it to try and adjust. Any opinions for doing or not doing that? Thanks in advance for help and advice!

2 Likes

@Quadgirl Good morning, did a little research,

Because of the slow and steady way Tresiba breaks up and diffuses under the skin, it lasts for at least 42 hours. This means Tresiba can be dosed once a day, at any time of the day.

Found this here,

Tresiba: 7 things you should know - Drugs.com

I personally would not wait for 42 hours, but would run first pod without reseting, because your basal needs will decline until the tresiba is gone from your system. Reset on second pod if your wish. if you don’t, the declined basal will affect your TDI, if of course it indeed dose reduce basal at first. Remember even with Tresiba remaining in your system, the O5 will still react to your bg and help keep you from going low, and take care because if it does indeed reduce your basal, the tresiba level will not be part of your correction calculator, so that could be problematic when doing Boluses.

Just me two cents, wish you the best of luck however you ultimately decide to proceed.

3 Likes

@T1john Thanks for the helpful reminders about Tresiba effects on corrections and whatnot. I am hoping to start at the 24 hour mark, knowing it could still linger to 36 hours. My experience is that it only lasts 24 hours in me. When I tried my Tandem pump, my training we]as at the 36 hour and sugars had been rising since the 24 mark. So hopefully all will be fine, and at least it will be in the daytime if I need to keep an eye out for lows. I am still not sure I don;t want to start with a fresh reset, but you make good points, so I will continue to ponder. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yea, I question TDI’s roll in the O5 Algorithm to mosts distain, but regardless it is good at preventing lows (unless of course I do dumbsh** like sometimes. Still haven’t recovered from my last failure of good practices, fell low almost all the time, get up and walk and feel like I am in the 30’s. Any way good luck, I truly believe it will work out for you either way.

1 Like

Thanks! And I actually still believe the goal range does matter. My basal amt. only increased when I changed the range. But again, causation, correlation, or just diabetes - who knows. I just wish the algorithm could be transparent. Anyway, thanks T1john!

2 Likes

Amen, I research a lot. (say it an’t so) and found the papers used to form the bases in which O5’s alogorithm was based, but there is no actual info, just info on study papers were written for.

2 Likes

I’d do manual mode for the first pod, then the impact of the Tresiba should not confuse the algorithm. Then you can let the auto mode start learning with the second pod. Juicebox Podcast has a cast on transitioning from MDI.

2 Likes

@Sjwprod Thanks! Did not know about that episode. I will seek it out. I don’t know why, but I am still just a tad afraid of manual. I think I will leave it on last settings, preceding my desire to do better with mdi, and then reset the 2nd or so pod, vacillating from initial thoughts after @T1john posted. I think my manual mode fear is just in my head. Need to get over that. Thanks for your 2 cents!

1 Like

I started 24 hours after my last tresiba to start my first pod.

In hindsight, I don’t think that was the best method, because the tresiba was still doing some of the work, the pod in auto mode was interpreting a lower requirement for basal, which didn’t establish the best baseline initially….

Not sure what I’d do differently if I had to do it again though

3 Likes

@Sam Thanks for sharing that. Maybe I will go 30 hours as a sort of compromise. But, also, maybe since I already have the pods’ learning from three weeks ago-ish when I began mdi, maybe the first day with Tresiba dregs will just give it a little wrong info compared to the previous 14-day cycle (or whatever it uses for adaptive basal rate) and fix itself the next day. Seems plausible, anyway. Then I can consider a reset after a pod or 2. Still, good to hear from you about this. Thanks!

2 Likes

Do you have a link you can post to the podcast?

1 Like

Here is one…

You can use the search tool at the bottom of the menu to find others.

2 Likes

@Sjwprod good morning, I’ll probably a lot of s*** for this, but I got to. I have listened to those podcasts a few times before I started, or received to help prepare for use. was my endo a brought up something from what of them, and response was, look keep in mind they are infomercials, jukebox was paid to produce those podcasts and the people were paid. now that does not mean it’s bad. but they are walking fine line between giving medical advice and giving full advice. they could only go into Insulet approved responses. Not saying that is bad as there are people out here that will get really confused or do something that could cause dangerous outcomes, they would rather you discuss with your Doctor. Is guess what I am saying is it does not go into everything, nor I will imagine everything she has learned about the O5.

1 Like

Did you listen to the podcast I posted? Omnipod is a small bit, it’s about making the transition from long acting to short acting with a pump. Scott has done the Omnipod 5 podcast for which he was paid for by Omnipod, this was not that.

I have had the best luck with running manual mode parts of the day which seems to being my TDI up which helps when I switch to auto mode.

I run manual right after I change a pod as for whatever reason it seems to keep me stable versus auto mode which tends to creep high

Anytime I eat lots of carbs or anything I know tends to make me run abnormally high.

Doing this has really helped and made me quite happy to be on the pod. Things can only get better when they make an iPhone app (1st on my list of wants) and when they adopt the G7. There’s nothing like being tube free and the convenience of throw away pods.

1 Like