Glucose tab shortage?

I have been to WalMart almost weekly for several weeks and the Relion GTabs are always out of stock!! These are the most palatable to me and I prefer them to juice or Smarties when I am trending low. (I remember @Eric’s photo of the demolished chocolate layer cake! :rofl:) I Anyway, I got some at Walgreen’s—gah, soapy aftertaste—and the Kroger brand is only marginally better. Anybody else having trouble getting WalMart G Tabs?

4 Likes

I just searched walmart.com and it showed they could be ordered there, with store pickup. Not sure if that would work for you, or if higher price.

I have bought the 4-packs from amazon.

And today, as I was washing clothes, somehow one of the 4-packs showed up floating, which I caught just before spin cycle!! Fortunately an unopened pack, and no damage!!

2 Likes

@CatLady what flavor are you looking for? Happy to check my local Walmart for you.

2 Likes

I doubt I would ever do that to a roll of gtabs. :joy:

2 Likes

Liam wanted to start being able to eat the gummy glucose tabs and CVS didn’t have any when we tried to fill our prescription. He has to get the cvs normal glucose tabs.

3 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate the offer and will keep it in reserve. I did order some True Plus on Amazon today (5 star rating) so we’ll see.

That’s also a good option that I will keep in mind. I am not a frequent Walmart shopper but do find some gluten-free items there that my husband likes and we can’t find elsewhere. Go figure! :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Target sells glucose tabs too.

2 Likes

I have found that small amounts ( less than 1 ounce ) of apple juice work far faster than glucose tabs!

4 Likes

Thanks! During the day juice or sugar added to coffee work fine. Smarties or GTabs are easier for me during the night.

4 Likes

I bought 9 bottles from Walmart (so I could get free shipping) - the price had gone up a bit to something like $4.24 per bottle.

Four bottles were hand-delivered within two days. Four more came in a box shipped from Texas, and one came in a paper mailer from Texas.

What a waste of packaging and how expensive for Walmart - but I got a ton of glucose tabs at a good price :joy:

5 Likes

I can understand that.

Some of the lows I’ve had in the past I would have loved to have some apple ju just to be able to get back to bed sooner!

What are Smarties; I’ve heard of them but don’t know what the packaging looks like?

Seems like the glucose tabs you mentioned might be the ones I tried long ago. The ones I tried were very hard, difficult
to impossible for me to break and long to dissolve…
Are they still so hard??
I had loved the Dex 4s.

CRB

1 Like

There’s several types including rolls of small (sweet) candy that are 6 grams of fast carbs and larger (tart) MegaSmarties (3 grams each). I buy a 24 pack of the Megas on Amazon. The small rolls are available in big bags at Halloween.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=smarties+candy&crid=I7SFKB51MZ8Z&sprefix=smarties%2Caps%2C243&ref=nb_sb_ss_deep-retrain-50-ops-acceptance_3_8

The Relion GTabs at Wal-Mart are not hard and can be broken in half easily. They also dissolve easily. My favorite flavors are Tropical and Orange.

3 Likes

Thank you! Glad to hear your GT are not hard!! Wonder if they took over Dex4…
Thank you!
CR

1 Like

Food Data Central is down right now (go figure) but IRC slices of apple should work just as well. For sure a slice of apple pretty much instantly sends my BG through the roof (I just ate one, 222mg/dL and rising. I know I shouldn’t do that).

The problem, or the solution, with apple and pear is that while both contain significant amounts of fructose and glucose they also bulk it out with similar (or larger; check FDC when it is online) amounts of sucrose. The fructose and glucose are really fast but our gut only has limited ability to adsorp them. Sucrose is not limited; so we get a hit in a couple of minutes off the fructose/glucose but then get a bigger, really massive, hit in five minutes or more off the sucrose.

The doctor’s solution; for seriously major overdosing on insulin eat the apple. For anything else eat the apple and do some insulin for the sucrose that will hit PDQ.

Either I’m misunderstanding you, or it’s wrong. Our bodies can absorb large quantities of glucose quickly, as in the glucose tolerance test with 75g or 100g. And for sucrose, we don’t take that into the blood stream, digestion splits it into glucose and fructose and those are what get taken in.

1 Like

You are not misunderstanding me. I’m quoting from a study of glucose adsorption rates that I have previously posted. 4g/kg/hour or something like that (IRC). Here’s a real world example using that number that is entirely from my memory (please check my original reference):

My CI ration is 10g/IU, my weight is 81kg. A recent Reddit poster had jabbed 26IU of rapid acting insulin into their body in place of the identical does of long-acting. So if that were me:

26IU rapid → 260g carbs
81kg @ 4g/kg/hour → 324g/hour

So it takes me 40 minutes to transport the glucose into my blood stream.

It’s really great for a 5 minute solution; my body can transport (again, check the numbers in the article) around 5g/minute (please do not use these numbers; check the link to the article I posted). For other solutions that, alas, we find ourselves in there are problems.

Yes!!! I went several times and came up with nothing. Finally had to just go to a pharmacy 25 miles away and get some. Ugh

1 Like

I’ve noted the lack of standard glucose tabs at surrounding locations (Wegmans, Walmart, Target, Walgreens, etc.). Per what I read here on FUD, I tried ordering from Walmart, lowest price by over $2/bottle, got free shipping for 9 bottles. But then shipping was delayed at least 4 days, the order got split into three FedEx packages (three different regions of the country). I can’t figure out how they made any money given packaging/shipping costs unless the mark-up is like 500% and even then they must have just broken even. BUT…with 9 bottles, I’m good to go for sometime and can reorder again earlier than “just in time.” If it gets to be too much, I may make the big switch to Smarties…

3 Likes

I found both glucose gummies and glucose tabs on Amazon that I could both subscribe to AND were covered by HSA card. So, not I’m finally getting them shipped to me without needing to search in stores for them.

4 Likes