Gallbladder

Do all of you still have your gallbladder? Any of you have yours removed while eating like a diabetic? How’d that go? Have a scan on Monday to see if the doc thinks I’d be better off without mine…

1 Like

@Sam Be careful. Removing your gall bladder is not innocuous. My wife (non D) had to have hers yanked and it’s no bed of roses.

1 Like

I was not planning on doing the procedure myself

1 Like

Don’t be shy @Sam. Just make sure you use a sharp scalpel😜

But in seriousness— how was it not a bed of roses? Other than he understandably uncomfortable few days or a week of healing the doc made it sound like it was no big deal at all and said of the hundreds he’s done they’ve all been glad

I know she’s glad it’s gone, given the problems it was causing. But it has drastically effected her diet (can’t eat red meat, can’t eat anything with much fat in it).

If it’s properly functioning (within limits) I can’t imagine a doc advising you to take it out.

Interestingl— he made it sound like after a few weeks of adaptation there were no significant dietary adjustments generally necessary… that’s what the scan is to determine, if it’s wirhin normal limits of function—- he said he’d be surprised if it is

There I changed it

Why would he be surprised? Have you been having any specific symptoms?

Abdominal pain for years, worse when eating fatty foods possibly… with normal labs and standard ultrasound… seen numerous docs for it and all have just wasted my time, at least this guy is actually properly looking into it with the appropriate studies… believe me we haven’t just arrived at this point out of boredom

Yup. I’d be surprised too if it was normal.

I second removal not being as simple as doctors like to act. My brother had his removed, and he also can’t tolerate a lot of red meat or fatty foods anymore - not sure what else he’s avoiding, but he has definitely had to make dietary changes.

1 Like

That’d suck given how I have to eat to keep my bg under control…

1 Like

No kidding. :slightly_frowning_face: I should add my brother probably has other health issues he has to get checked out, so that could also be influencing things.

1 Like

Well if the scans come back and the recommendation is to remove it I’d definitely discuss the dietary ramifications with my diabetes doc… ironically he was standing in the hallway when I walked out of the surgeons office today and said “It’s your gallbladder… see, I figured that out in the hallway here for free” or something like that

1 Like

Good luck. It’s hard when you want answers, but you don’t really want the ramifications of what the answers might mean.

I would not have surgery without a second doctor looking at everything and providing the same recommendation.

1 Like

Yeah id do that… sounds like based on what he said it’s pretty cut and dry and not a lot of difference in opinion on the subject… if it’s less than X% they say get rid of it according to him… but id ask for a second opinion at least from my primary doc and endo also

1 Like

I completely second that opinion. Any kind of surgery comes with inherent risks, but if there is another option – that would be good to know.

1 Like

Like with diabetes, everybody is different. My partner had his taken out, and he still eats the same (too much, and too salty). My dad had his out and can no longer eat fatty foods like bacon. (Well, he can. He just needs to be near a bathroom.)