G6 sensor 24 hour break in period

After several suggestions on FUD, I moved my sensor placement from my stomach to my arm and my accuracy issues in the first 12-24 hours were resolved. 100% better.

7 Likes

@Marie Ref your comment on calibrating, what do you calibrate to and why do you trust it more that the G6? I’m not questioning your logic or approach and certainly not implying the G6 can’t be off (I’ve had my share of wacky readings from them), just trying to understand the reasoning. My understanding is all meters, though tested for accuracy by the company (and even some here on FUD), can still be off by up to 20% and yet considered “accurate”, so it could be a fairly accurate G6 sensor is being “calibrated” to a meter that is off, thus making it the G6 less accurate than may have been. Thanks for the education you or others may provide.

1 Like

I base the need to calibrate the g6 to my meter based on how I feel…if g6 says I am very high or very low and I do not feel like I am high or low I check with my meter and use that reading to callibrate the g6 , I have had as much as 60 points difference between a new g6 sensor and my meter … I know how I feel when I am truly at 45 or 375 so I trust feel to guide calibration

2 Likes

I’ve checked my meter against the value listed with my blood tests results and it is usually within 10 points. So I am pretty confident about it.

3 Likes

I have a Contour meter and a One Touch Verio Meter. Not only did I check the Contour at the same time as a lab blood test once just to see, but I also have checked quite a few times between both meters. While some don’t like the accuracy of the One Touch meters, both of mine have been within a couple of points of both of my Contour meters.

When you do as much finger sticking as I do when I put on a new meter or when I decide to take a 24 hour break before putting on a new sensor I use my meters all over and I like to periodically compare them.

4 Likes

I’m on my 5th sensor back of the arm with near perfect results. The abdomen would act funky for a day and get stupid starting day 6 or 7. The 4th lasted 9 days because I pull it off taking off a tee shirt. :rofl:

3 Likes

I have also switched to back of arm recently and have had so much better results, on the abdomen I was using my meter to check the dexcom like 25 times a day…I was ready to give up on it on the arm I only have checked a few times when a reading seemed way off

3 Likes

Perhaps meters have grown more accurate overtime, though I’m amazed at @CatLady 's experience. I have/use a Contour Next One, have a Freestyle Lite and they’ve been within 10-15% variance of each other and the G6 most of the time, a few within single digits, and a few where the variance is mid double digits. I tend to rely on the Contour for finger sticks as being the better, no logical reason other than its seemed to work over time and has a good reputation in what I’ve read by others. For the most part, I let the G6 work on its own unless it’s acting unusual or, like @3cTim, my body is telling me something completely different.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I’ve been there…lol.

1 Like

Jim, you appear to be parading about a pretty nice motorcycle pic in your photo. Is that yours, and if so, need some better shots and explanations.

I noticed the same. Complete opposite of my experience with G4, where arms were lousy and abdomen was pretty accurate for a month or so.

Which is actually too bad, cuz now I can’t use my arm for pods (pod and sensor have to be on the same side for me).

1 Like

Lately I have been using right arm ( im left handed and sleep on my left side)for both pod and sensor, and it seems to be working fine

1 Like

I see this behavior as well, but not to that extreme. Sensors work their best in ‘fatty’ tissue and more importantly (for me at least) is to stay well hydrated. Both insulin infusion and CGMs work best when you drink plenty of water. For me, it is very noticeable when I ‘slack’ off and don’t drink enough water. (both in insulation sensitivity and CGM readings)

3 Likes