G6 sensor 24 hour break in period

@bkh @Kaelan
I’ve noticed the rewrite as well, even with sensor errors. I thought that I was imagining it!

2 Likes

The G6 phone app filters the preceding 3 data points to smooth the curve using what appears to be a 4 point moving average. This is quite noticable to those of us using Sugarmate or Xdrip, where the data points are not filtered.

3 Likes

To catch them in the act, in the Dexcom app you need to see a trend in the graph, and the single most recent dot shows a change in the trend, such as a reversal from falling to rising. Then, if 5 minutes later the next dot is falls on the previous trend, the trend-reversal dot from 5 minutes earlier will no longer be there in the graph. Instead it will have been replaced by a dot that is on the trend, neatly between the most recent dot and the one from 10 minutes prior. The smoothing to remove outliers may be more extensive than this, but perhaps it may be easiest to find examples of them removing singleton outliers from the tail of the graph.

When I ascribed motivations to Dexcom for doing this smoothing, I just made that up and have no actual knowledge on that point. But the smoothing I have observed, and the difference between the graph in the Dex app and the graph in the LOOP app during periods of jitter is clear.

5 Likes

I have observed this, too, and am learning to be more cautious about taking any action when I see a weird dropping/rising arrow like that.

4 Likes

I guess that brings me full circle back to my first question…the sensor I am on right now started out much jumpier than typical (for me) on Day 1 but smoothed out and seems fine after that first day. But does that excessive jumpiness provide anything to extrapolate to Day 10 or beyond? I sometimes crave a predictable end date for a sensor, mostly to plan ahead for sensor restarts or replacements.

Has anybody correlated Day 1 jumpiness with G6 sensor longevity? Might be too subjective to correlate.

3 Likes

@John58 My currently running sensor displayed excessive jitter for more than 48 hours prior to finally settling down.

Its 10 days finishes in another 6, I’ll let you know how it performs when I restart it this coming Sunday.

2 Likes

Here is my questionably jumpy sensor on Day 8…bouncing along within a tight range. Accuracy is not a problem, hoping we can bounce along to Day 10.

4 Likes

This is Day 6 of my current sensor. Not sure what it’s trying to tell me but the BG has been within 10-15% when I’ve spot checked. It’s been jumpy like this since the start.

Will it last another 36 hours? I sure hope so, I have plans tomorrow night that will go off the rails if my CGM is inoperable.

That does look unstable. I’d make sure it is well glued down, and maybe even use some overtape since you’re trying to reduce the chance possibility of failure for the next 36 hours.

1 Like

I most often see this behavior when a) it is a newly installed sensor . ‘Usually’ settles down and b) when I sleep on my side where sensor is located (compression low) (I don’t start off sleeping on my side where sensor is located but migrate to that side during the night)

1 Like

Yes these sensors often are jumpy like that at the start. This sensor seemed to get worse/ jumpier around Day 5/6. It ended up dying about 12 hours after that picture was taken. Death by sensor error drop outs.

Dexcom is good about sending G6 replacements for sensors that don’t last 10 days. I had an easier time of it with G5 sensors, mainly easier time looking ahead and preplanning sensor restarts or replacements in consideration of my weekly schedule. Have not been able to consistently schedule G6 sensors due to the occasional defective sensor that dies before my preferred date.

@John58 this is what my G6 sensor looks like during the daytime with calf placement. I think it’s getting constantly jostled around, compressed when I sit with my legs crossed (although it continues when they are not crossed), sitting to standing, etc. There are NO straight lines except when I’m sleeping. My last G6 died after ~5 days; current one looks like it will make it to 10 days and I will probably try re-starting and might get a few more days out of it. But my screen looks like mini-sine waves during the daytime hours. (I always put a new sensor on at least 12 hours before starting it, too.) Am thinking I might have to just go back to my upper arms. Where is yours placed? Good luck! Jessica

1 Like

I move the sensor around but have had best luck on upper arms. That jumpy sensor was on abdomen towards the side although I don’t think sensor placement has been causing the early G6 sensor failures. They seem to be pretty random…3 or 5 good sensors followed by one bad one regardless of sensor locations. Also taping is not a problem, I super tape these with skintac, etc and have not had any looseness or jostling problems. Have not tried calfs or thighs yet but eventually I am sure I’ll give it a try.

I also try to get at least a 12 hour early sensor insertion to smooth out day 1. It’s hard to plan ahead when these sensors die unexpectedly!

3 Likes

every new sensor gives me really jumpy numbers up 20 then down 25 then up 30 then down 20 etc.

literally every reading up and down then it starts to calm down after about 12 or so hours then finally is smoother after 24 hours. as you can see my graph from yesterday is pretty terrible. in addition to the sensor jumpiness I also have some real highs and lows but that is insulin/carbs not the dexcom

3 Likes

@3cTim Wow! That’s some jumpy numbers. I’ve had some wacky results (going high/lo the first several hours, but nothing that’s just jumpy!

1 Like

the last few months have been even worse than normal. maybe its partly the sensors. I get a new supply next week…maybe they will behave better?

Just switched from the Freestyle Libre to the Dexcom G6 yesterday. I’m curious as to what you mean by pre-soaking your sensor. Also, I’m using the xDrip app to monitor and running in to some connectivity issues. Does anyone have experience with this APP and why this may be happening? Thanks.

2 Likes

I think, but I am not sure, that pre-soaking is putting on the sensor and then waiting several hours to activate it …so for a while on the day you need to change sensors you would have two on…one active and one pre-soaking

2 Likes

Thanks. That sounds reasonable. I will keep that in mind for future sensors.

3 Likes

Yes, soaking is inserting a new sensor before you activate it. Usually 12-24 hours before you end the current one and activate the new one. It helps it to start out more accurately. It helps me some, but I still need to calibrate mine. Either right away or within a few hours. They are too far off and stay that way for my liking. I also calibrate a restarted sensor. I like mine within 5 points of accuracy so it takes a few calibrations to do that. Restarted sensors take less work and are more accurate for me.

3 Likes