FYI Omnipod 5 G7 compatible pods

Just a heads up. You do not need a new prescription for the G7 compatible pods but you might want to contact your pharmacy to make sure they don’t give you the old ones. I use one of the three ASPN pharmacies.

I found this on Insulets website. It sounds like if you use a retail pharmacy you might not be able to get the new pods until late fall. If you are anything like I am and are a few months ahead on pods that would put your G7 transition middle of next year.:pleading_face:

1 Like

Thanks @Josie for the info. If it is possible & your invoice says what the NDC number is for the correct Pod could you please post it? :smiley:

1 Like

After all my requests I received the OLD pods yesterday lol.

After speaking to a pharmacist on the phone I was promised the new G7/G6 pods in a couple of days. She said that the code/ name is the same and it’s causing a lot of confusion. It is still going to be labeled (gen 5). When looking at my order online it will appear exactly the same so no way to tell if it’s the new pods. The only way she is able to get them to customers is to manually change where my prescription is shipped from in her computer because the new pods are only available at specific facilities. The rest of their locations are sending out the old ones until they are used up.

2 Likes

@SobeiT,
They are using the same NDC to make it easier to get the new pods (meaning you don’t need to change anything with your prescription).

But it does make it a pain for the pharmacists. :joy:

Question for @Josie when she gets them - do they look exactly the same?!? Is there any way to tell the difference at all? Is the package exactly the same?!?

Because that would seem to be a nightmare for users if you have to activate the pod before you know if it communicates with your Dexcom. :man_facepalming:

Maybe they are using a different lot number to help people differentiate them.

2 Likes

The current box says compatible with Dexcom G6 in the corner and the new box will say compatible with Dexcom G6 and G7. According to the pharmacist this will be the only difference. I will compare the boxes in a few days.

2 Likes

If the only difference is the box, that is pretty dumb of Insulet.

I get the idea of making it easier to get your prescription switched without any hassle. That’s helpful.

But if they were clever, they would make a distinction in the lot number and tell the users how to differentiate them. That way, there would not be a hassle with prescriptions, and they would not cause issues with support and users and all the other things that will happen.

A user calling support - “My pod is not communicating with my Dexcom!

Support - “Uh…um…hmmm… can I put you on a brief hold?

2 Likes

There could be a new lot number and the pharmacist didn’t mention it to me because the pharmacy I go through does not provide lot numbers in the online order. It’s only something I can see on the box itself once I receive it.

If I was getting my script from a retail pharmacy I guess I would ask if I could physically see the box before accepting the order. I would not trust the staff to get the correct one. But if they were still giving out the old ones chances are they wouldn’t have any new boxes anyway?

Bright side -I just got 10 pods for free. Down side- This puts my G7 transition into 2025 cause I’m now 7 months ahead on pods.

2 Likes

Once you get your new ones, see if you can figure out a difference in the lot numbers. That might help some people in the future!

3 Likes

Sure easier to order & get the wrong thing.

:grin: not really just gives them an excuse for sending out their old stock & probably get a bonus from Omnipod for doing so…

Please let us know what you find out. Would just be too easy if the pod says G6/G7 compatible so they probably wouldn’t do that :joy:

2 Likes

Received them today!

Lot number is the same. Every box I have starts with PH1. I guess someone could ask their pharmacy for the manufacturer date? Anything after May would be the new?

As for the box the pharmacist I talked to was correct. Just a added Dexcom G7 in the corner.

4 Likes

Hi @Josie,
This thread made me wonder, so I had to look into it a bit further.

Yes, I know. I am like Curious George.

curious-george-sandwiches-cushelle

It looks like the tray lid shows the Dexcom compatibility.

https://www.omnipod.com/current-podders/resources/omnipod-5/faqs/troubleshooting/pods-compatible-dexcom-g6-g7

4 Likes

You are right! I never thought to look at the pods themselves until I saw your post. I hadn’t intended to open the box until 2025 lol

3 Likes

Another mystery solved!

4 Likes

So glad @Eric you found that I was beginning to believe it was a Communist plot to take over Diabetes. :grin:

3 Likes

@Josie Wondering have you upgraded your Omnipod Receiver to the G7 software? I keep checking mine & there has been no notification no nothing.

Not sure why this is such a deal for me. Omnipod is my Plan B maybe Plan C. I am currently running Loop 3.4.1 & waiting for Trio. Omnipod with G7 is my fallback.

2 Likes

Not yet. July 30th.

4 Likes

Omnipod 5 update is available. Just did mine.

3 Likes

Great to see some progress. I am whittling away at the G6 sensor stockpile and planning to start G7 soon. Hoping my next batch of pods says “G6/G7”!

2 Likes

You may want to hold on to some of the G6’s so if you are not happy with the G7’s you can swap back & forth.

3 Likes