Fun Share Thread: Something you may not know about me

That’s awesome, @Millz! Love the tie dye!

4 Likes

Wow! I wonder if it changed during the time they did the background checks. Also, I wonder if you could’ve gotten a desk job and then been transferred into fieldwork?

Random: Have you ever read any books by Robin Dreeke? He was in the FBI and lectures about social engineering. He’s a really dynamic speaker. I saw him at Defcon. His tiny self published book available on Amazon is good.

5 Likes

I love that photo! You look so happy! And I had a tie-dye shirt just like that that got stolen when I was in my 20s, and I totally miss it.

4 Likes

Wow! That’s cool! I feel like you definitely know more about ruminant nutrition than most people doctors know about human nutrition! I took a dairy cattle class in college that remains one of my favorites – and they talked a lot about nutrition and how it influences milk production and flavor. It was so interesting! (I’ve got a degree in child development and a minor in psychology – the cattle class was just for fun.)

5 Likes

The thing about the age of being a field agent - you can be a field agent and remain a field agent until a very old age.

But you can’t start as a field agent after age 35. They don’t want to train you if you are too old. So I barely missed the cutoff to start the training.

I am not sure if I have heard him. I have gone to a number of the lectures on that subject. Those are a lot of fun.

I think we discussed some of that. The calls to a certain pump company a while back…
:rofl:

4 Likes

It looks beautiful there!! I imagine there’s some good hiking trails around :smiley: Great picture by the way!!

5 Likes

@LarissaW
Yes, lots of hiking, ATVs, horses, mountain bikes etc. I prefer to let my horse do the work! :laughing: But, I do have rheumatoid arthritis so hiking can be difficult.

5 Likes

When I finished college, I decided to splurge on a 6 week group tour to Europe (18 countries). This was early 80s, and I was “treating” my diabetes with a single injection of Lente. No BG testing, and occasional urine tests always showed sugar at checks. At that time, I had diabetes for 18 years, always treated with Lente only.

No Frio cases, and my 2 bottles of Lente insulin, and many syringes, were my "supplies’. (May have taken tes-tape, but they weren’t that helpful). But I survived and had a great trip and experience.

Trip included day trip into East Berlin, before the wall came down ! At each stop we could do activity on our own, or do planned group tours, etc. I did some of both, although always had at least one person with group that knew of my diabetes.

Several years later took a tour by cruise/river boat, through Russia. Still using injections, but using NPH + Regular. Did morning injection one morning, and headed to dining area. Breakfast was delayed, and I could feel my bg dropping, sweating started. Had to eat my stash of candies ! That was one of the closest calls I had, as I felt like I was just about to pass out. I’m guessing my injection hit vein, and even Reg is quick when done that way.

By comparison, current day or weekend trips involve much more D-stuff and preparation than those good old days.

10 Likes

Those trips both sound amazing! I’ve never made it out of the lower 48 myself. It is always neat to read the comparisons of life with diabetes before and after “modern” treatment tools became available.

5 Likes

5 Likes

It’s Pajama Sam!

8 Likes

I didn’t know that! That’s cool! And I love that you took the cattle class for fun. That sounds really neat!

6 Likes

I think I found Commander Keen before Pajama Sam.

But later, much more entertaining to solve Rubik’s Cubes.

3 Likes

Are you a cuber? When I’m in practice I can solve a Rubik’s cube in under a minute

4 Likes

Yep!! Several years ago attended local competition, but nowhere near the others times (many youngsters there beat me easily). Enjoyed watching them.
Occasionally I can beat under a minute on 3x3, but average just over minute because I refuse to learn more algorithms. I like the megaminx better, but can take 5-8 minutes to solve (12 sided).

4 Likes

I have a megaminx but haven’t learned it… couldn’t solve it to save my life at this point.

4 Likes

I’m only occasionally here - not a regular - so there’s lots about me you don’t know. Hmm …

In 2018, I took 8 weeks in Europe on a mini grand-tour bike trip - France (pictured), Germany, Denmark, Italy, Portugal. Lots of fun.

I use a Tandem pump and a CGM, and 8 weeks is a lot of supplies to carry on a bike - they are quite bulky. So I thought I’d be planful and send a couple of packages ahead to places where I knew I’d be staying in Denmark and Italy. I went to the US Post Office in my town and mailed them to the hotels in Europe.

If you are contemplating something similar - I would recommend against this. Use a carrier like DHL. Neither of my packages made it to their destinations before me. Fortunately, I had along some pens for backup, which I needed by the end of the trip. I hope DHL is better - next time I do this I will use them.

The original packages were eventually returned to my home address in the US - there was no hanky panky, just bureaucracy. They never reached me in Europe.

13 Likes

That’s so impressive!!

1 Like

I actually think there are some interesting parallels and lessons between the Rubik’s cube and diabetes management… honing skills of recognizing patterns and knowing from muscle memory what steps taken will change a pattern presented in a predictable way to achieve a desired outcome… sounds a lot like diabetes

I draw parallels between diabetes and everything I’ve done successfully in my life… shiphandling, wrestling, etc… so many things have so many skills that can be applied to things that are totally unrelated

5 Likes

I agree. :grinning:
Dexcom Seven, in 2011 !

3 Likes