Frustrating couple of weeks

The last couple of weeks have been so atypical and rather frustrating for me. I experienced several days of hypos at night when I needed 25-30 grams of fast carbs each time—not related to exercise, go figure. Then I had to change out a pod after a meal due to hyperglycemia (turned out that the meal bolus was not absorbed—the adhesive was saturated with insulin). During this time I developed a painful dental problem that required a root canal—at least that procedure went smoothly. (I get fitted for a crown next week but had to cancel a family visit. :frowning: ) This week I am having more post-meal highs, even from injected boluses, and exercise doesn’t help correct my BG much. I’m beginning to think that I just don’t absorb well when the pods are on the thighs and maybe can only use those sites for basal. I dunno…gonna changed my pod a bit early and put it on the abdomen, see if that helps… :confused:

Thanks for listening, friends—it helps me to process what’s going on to write it down. It’s easy to feel all alone with disease so I am very grateful for the support available here on FUD. :pray:

16 Likes

Sorry to hear about your tough few weeks. :frowning_face:

Hoping things turn around for the better. You can look at any CGM graph and think that it isn’t just our blood sugar that looks like that. It is life in general that moves through ups and downs over time.

9 Likes

@CatLady Sorry you’re having issues! I know when I change from abdomen to arm, there’s a lapse in time I attribute to longer absorption at the arm sites and I more frequently notice a bit of tunneling. However, nothing like you describe. Hope it resolves/you find the answer soon!

6 Likes

It is good the FUD is a place where we can voice our problems without misunderstanding and blame.

It sounds like you have been experiencing stress, root canals and missing out on seeing loved ones is quite enough.

I use Tandem sets and, knock on wood, have never had tunneling. With the loss of weight I have pain when I use the tops/fronts of my thighs, but the outer sides are OK. This is a new thing.

Back to the stess, spend some quality time with your kitty. They can be great stress relievers.

I blame DST :crazy_face:

6 Likes

@CarlosLuis you mean National Jetlag Day, observed twice annually? :wink:

3 Likes

Have you tried it slightly back on your arm? I always wear mine there and it works really well. Apologies if you’ve tried that but I’m a little late with my response.

S.

2 Likes

Thanks, I do wear them there successfully. But I do try to rotate to other spots and that’s what caused some grief lately. I really need more arms! :octopus:

4 Likes

I need a lot more of everything! More islets of langerhans would be a really great thing for all of us!
In Edmonton, my home town where I live, the University of Alberta researchers are developing a new discovery for T1Ds. Kinda like Banting and Best did back in the day.

Work being done is by Dr. James Shapiro and could lead to a way for T1D’s to not have diabetes without requiring anti-rejection drugs.

Here is the story:

Is so funny that all these researchers - Dr. Peter Senior is another - are all from Yorkshire which is where my mother was born!
Peter Senior MBBS PhD As well as seeing patients with type 1 diabetes he is a researcher at the University of Alberta, helping to lead the Clinical Islet Transplant Program as well as running clinical trials of new treatments for diabetes and its complications

Type 1 Diabetes Orientation – Dr Peter Senior

drsenior.ca/clinics/type-1-diabetes-orientation/

1 Like

Feel exactly the same way my friend! We’re all in it together here and can share experiences that really make a difference on a daily basis. Yay! Yay! Yay! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

2 Likes

Being the devil’s advocate, yes no need for anti rejection drugs but what prevents the antibody and T Cells killing the new cells like they did the original ones?

I keep hoping that someone will stumble on the way to reprogram the immune system. It’d be a boon for a host of autoimmune diseases.

3 Likes

They use your own DNA but am not sure how the process works in regards to your question.
Would trust Dr. Shapiro with my life as he’s devoted his to developing a cure for T1D. He was lead of the team that did the first pancreatic transplant in 1999.

1999: Dr. James Shapiro performs the first whole pancreas transplant in Alberta, which subsequently becomes an important part of the transplant program in the province. Pancreas transplants are often performed on patients with type 1 diabetes.

Am lucky to live quite close to the University of Alberta - the team always welcomes me when they have events where research students demonstrate their own projects.You are asking really great questions - thank you for doing that @CarlosLuis. Every question is a good question.

2 Likes