From Swimming To Running; Adjusting to the Pandemic

Wow, I also had no idea there were different types of cortisones! We are all getting educated but the main thing is that one of these work for you! I am optimistic it will, and yes, totally agree, once the pool opens you will be 200% ready to jump in and get all of that hard earned muscle back!!! I hope that will be soon! :swimming_woman: :muscle:

4 Likes

I think that is a big factor. You just don’t need as much insulin with less weight. A 10 pound weight difference could account for 2-3 units less per day!

Are you staying active, like walking or anything? Is your diet the same?

Also, you have a new pump. It could be that the old pump was a little off on the units. Think of it like a tiny plunger that pushes the insulin out. Over years and years (how long did you use that thing, anyway!?!?), components get worn down.

So maybe what you thought on the old pump was 1 unit, it could have been a little more. Like maybe 1.05 units or something like that.

4 Likes

More than that! I was on about 25-30 TDD with a TDB of about 18U. Now my total basal is 12.25U, and my ICRs have all changed. The ISF is the same, though.

Had that particular pump for 6 years. Very very fond of it. I wore it out, I’m sure :laughing:

Yes, I am still taking walks (almost every day), but they are gentle walks bc my hip pain is still so severe. I am probably eating about the same, but maybe even more bc I have upped my fat intake again (Peanut Butter Addiction and those wicked-good Grilled Cheese sandwiches)

I am still trying to get my BGs in my preferred TR since the weight loss, though; I am tweaking and tweaking. Last night was my first “bad” night: my BG went up to 162; I took an appropriate IM shot and went back to bed, woke up 2 hours later, and nothing had budged. I took another IM and increased my basal to 110%TB. Now I am finally bk in range. Dont know if I made the right decision, but time will tell as the day goes on. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

If you are eating more fat and less carbs, that would also equate to less insulin.

Maybe several factors added together - weight loss, diet, new pump - all of them contributing to less insulin overall.

4 Likes

Yup. Forgot about that part of the equation. (although I do have those double-decker sandwiches and X-tra Lg Sandwich sized English Muffins) :yum:

3 Likes

MI VIA LOCA and other news:

So I had another epidural on this past Tuesday. It was the most excruciating one yet. The doctor injected me with somewhere between 20 and 30 injections throughout my back and around my hip and tushy. I thought it would never end. And once the Lidocaine wore off, I felt like DEATH would be a kind invitation :grimacing: :weary:

However, I think that this might have been the procedure for me! After 3 days, began to feel relief. My pain has subsided considerably. And, what was wonderful about this time (the doctor used qa totally different type of steroid this time) was that the insulin resistance only lasted 3 days (as opposed to the 10-14 days it did in the past.) I am now down to my regular Basal, ICRs, and ISF !!! Yippie.

I am still taking the Percocet , but it is actually working for a change. And,I dont remember if I mentioned this in an earlier post, but my doctor started me on the drug Gabapentin for my nerve damage and D-neuropathy. I am still being titrated up, so I dont know if it will work or not. I am, however getting all of the expected beginners side-effects from it (“foggy-brain”, lethargy, trouble remembering things, and extreme sleepiness.)

So I would like to Celebrate this wonderful news with all of you who have been so incredibly supportive and caring and kind. It has helped me immeasurably in trodding through this rough time. Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!

Now I must add one sorrow-filled bit of information: Ugh. Last night while I was sitting at my desk, my right foot went completely numb/dead. I have had neuropathy in this foot for ages now. Only once did it cause disaster; I broke all 5 Metatarsal bones in my foot when I fell over and twisted it awkwardly. I was in 3 different casts with crutches/and/or walker for over 6 months before I began to heal.

WELL…Last Night, My foot went numb. I tried standing up too fast and I fell over with my foot twisted. I slammed my foot against the floor and damaged it considerably. WE had to cal an ambulance. I was in the ER for quite some time. Intake, X-rays, doctors, nurses, etc. I didn’t thoroughly break it, but I did some considerable damage: sprain and torn ligaments. It is currently wrapped in an ice pack, and I am on crutches for approximately 2 weeks. It hurts like hell, but nothing compared to what I have been going through.

Can a girl catch a break around here? (NO PUN INTENDED :wink: )

Anyways, thats all the news thats fit to print for now.

signing out,

DM

9 Likes

Congrats on getting the pain under control! That alone is huge. You have been more patient and understanding through a long course of attempts than I could be, so you are awesome for that as well. Finally, bummer on the foot. That sucks. You really do need a break, maybe it will coincide with life returning to normal after everyone is vaccinated.

5 Likes

I am sorry to hear about your accident.
:frowning:

But on the plus side, it’s great to hear that you are feeling some relief from the pain now. I hope this continues.

And possibly being on crutches a few weeks will allow your hips and spine to rest a little bit too.
:crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

congratulations on a successful treatment for the hip pain. I am hoping and praying you recover completely and without any need for medication.

Man, though, yes, what bad luck spraying your foot. I’m so sorry. The only silver lining is, as Eric says, that being on crutches may help your hip recover faster. I will be praying for that!

4 Likes

Oh @daisymae you have been through the ringer and back, multiple times! I’m so glad to hear this round may be the ticket to success for you and the pain you’ve had to endure.

I feel for you with your foot. About 30 years ago I fell and did a number on my ankle too, torn ligaments. I’ll keep good thoughts and prayers going your way! Lots of hugs for you and yours too!

4 Likes

Sending warm vibes your way, DM!

3 Likes

THIS IS THE GREATEST COMMUNITY EVER!!!

I want to express my deepest and heartfelt appreciation for everyone who has been rooting so hard for me. All of your best wishes and prayers mean so much to me; when I check in on the FUD site and read your posts, I know I can get through another day, and I know that I am not alone.

Since being a member, I have referred some T1Ds I have met along the way to this amazing resourceful community. Some have not felt comfortable enough to join, but 3 of them have taken to FUD like a fish out of water. And each of them have been enthusiastic and grateful for the recommendation. (which makes me feel wonderful and so happy for them!)

I have learned so much, and I continue to learn so much about myself, my D, and how I can live my life to its fullest without restriction or compromise. When I think of that, I realize that there is so much more here than just D related things; there are suggestions on how to live life without feeling alone. I am one very satisfied customer!!!

AND PS: I am looking into the TANDEM PUMP rather than sticking with this annoying new Medtronic 670G pump (which I dont recommend to anyone for a multitude of reasons (and if you want more of my thoughts on this, feel free to PM me, and I will make myself available to chat about it!)

signing out,

DM

7 Likes

We are rooting for you!! And just FYI - your trade from team MDT to team Tandem has been heartily approved.

3 Likes

Have you used the Tandem pump system? I really would love to know about it! I am seeing my CDE before committing, but just so I can play around with it.

2 Likes

Cody has been using it for a little more than 5 years. The filling takes some getting used to because it uses a completely different mechanism to push the insulin around, but Cody loves it. Small, easy to use, lets you over-ride boluses and things easily without too many warnings, and Tandem is a joy to talk to when something goes wrong. It also helps that Dexcom sensors work well for Cody so the closed loop system works well enough for us, although we are excited to see the next generation of advances. But just the system turning off the insulin when going low reduced our low time considerably. Hopefully the sets that work well for you are offered by Tandem.

3 Likes

What do you mean by this? What is “the filling?” And what do you mean by pushing the insulin around?

really looking fwd to hearing bk from you!!!

2 Likes

The mechanism that Tandem uses to pump the insulin is different from every other manufacturer. Essentially you fill a bladder inside a plastic reservoir that you replace at every set change with the set. Then the tube filling takes a really long time while the pump beeps the whole time. “really long time” in relation to other pumps. So it takes some getting used to when you do set changes. It works fine otherwise.

1 Like

Here is the documentation they provide:

1 Like

And here is a youtube video showing you the process:

1 Like

Holy cow, this looks like it takes an awful lot of steps just to change the infusion site!!

What I have always loved about the Medtronic, is that I can change my infusion site without having to change the reservoir until I need to. This makes it so much simpler. My reservoirs hold up to 300units of insulin, and my TDD is about 20-25 units, so I dont have to change out my reservoirs every 3 days!! I’m going to have to investigate this further. What a process!

Thanks for sharing this though. It looks daunting to me, but I guess like everything else,I would get used to it till it becomes second nature. OMG, though. :crazy_face:

2 Likes