From Swimming To Running; Adjusting to the Pandemic

I don’t think I’ve had a bad sunburn causing persistent high BGs, but it is not a stretch that a sunburn could cause high BGs. When you’re sunburnt, there is a lot of inflammation occurring under your skin. Kind of akin to when we have the flu (and our immune system is trying to fight it off), and we have some resistance to insulin, and need more insulin to stay in a normal range.

We talked about that here if you wanted to read up more on it: Running with OmniLoop - #180 by Eric

When I finish running, I take insulin. I don’t do any calculations of how much basal I missed during my run or how many carbs I may or may not take after running. I think what Eric is trying to get at is that there are so many variables that interplay and affect just how much insulin you need. That it would seem silly and kind of futile to try to nail it down to a formula. So things I know that affect how much insulin I need after running: what is my BG and where is it trending, what TB I used and for how long, how hard was my run, how long was my run, what kind of run did I do (speed work vs slow and steady), did I take any boluses on my run, did I take any carbs on my run, did I run yesterday, how much did I eat before running, what did I eat before and while running, what’s the weather outside, what was my RPE, what day of my cycle is it, do I have any IOB, what time is it, did I sleep well, am I stressed, etc etc etc. So that’s just some of the variables that influence how much insulin I need after finishing a run. As you can imagine, trying to use a formula that focuses on only 1 or 2 of these variables fails to see the whole picture and I would guess would lead to frustration when it doesn’t work or success is not repeated.
So if I don’t use a formula, then how do I know how much insulin to take after a run? The Force. Well, I kind of go off feeling and juggle those variables above in my head when deciding. But it’s more of a guesstimate that is informed by experience. I would suggest you try out after one of your runs taking a stab at guessing how much insulin you need (WITHOUT doing any formulas) and trying it out. Afterward, write down your BG trends from your guesstimation, if the insulin was too much or too little, your info from the run, and (if you weren’t successful using The Force) then how you could have improved your guesstimate.

4 Likes