Freesyle libre 2 and XDrip

Hi
I have a question regarding freestyle libre2 and XDrip, is it compatible with the xDrip

I don’t think it is. The reason being that the communication module (i.e. MiaoMiao) hasn’t been able to crack the 14-day Libre’s yet. Once they do, the answer is yes.

I disagree with Chris…the us 14 day libre issue is not supposed to affect the libre 2 and the blucon and miao miao websites claim they work with the libre 2

…I believe the libre 2 app will still read via Bluetooth, then xdrip takes the data from the app…using watches as collectors probably won’t work with the libre 2…doesn’t matter for us citizens, as its not in the us yet…

Well that is great news, I thought that was an issue, but we are Dexcom users currently, so clearly my info isn’t up to date. Glad they solved the issue!

Bad news, looks like Abbot took down all the github repositories for the libre 2 patch…it might still be possible, but at the very least it seems a lot more difficult to accomplish successfully…I might try it to see if it has any kind of low or high prediction, but the pharmacy told me iris more expensive…

1 Like

I got the Libre 2 yesterday and immediately went about patching the Librelink App. I read the information here:
https://androidaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/EN/Hardware/Libre2.html

This was the patch I used:

Instructions in English are below the German ones. I ran into a problem where 4 files ending in “.orig” had to be removed from the unpackad app after patching. Otherwise the repack step “apktool b” would fail.

So far it’s been working like a charm. I enjoy having only the Libre 2 with no external transmitter. It’s also nice to get the factory-calibrated values. I can still calibrate if needed, so I get the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

I should have specified I am in the u.s.a., and abbot only shut the USA down…

1 Like

Can you get around that with a VPN?

The problem is the encrypted libre 2 sensor… same as the us 14 day…anyone using libre and miao miao is either using xdrip and an older android 9, or a different app with less ringtone customization, less accurate predictive numbers, etc

1 Like

Are you saying that you can’t access the GitHub link above from the US? I’m not talking about using a MiaoMiao or any other external transmitter. The solution I have is using a slightly modified version of the official LibreLink app, which is perfectly able to communicate with a Libre 2 sensor despite the encryption. The data from LibreLink is received by XDrip, so you get full functionality.

1 Like

The u.s. libre 2 is encrypted by abbot and does not work with the libre link app due to the encryption… right now the u.s. is forced to use the actual libre reader to start and set alarms for the us libre 2…or as abbot writes… It has come to Abbott’s attention that a software project titled “Libre2-patched-App” has been uploaded to GitHub, Inc.'s ("GitHub”) website and creates unauthorized derivative works of Abbott’s LibreLink program (the “Infringing Software”). The Infringing Software is available at https://github.com/user987654321resu/Libre2-patched-App. In addition to offering the Infringing Software, the project provides instructions on how to download the Infringing Software, circumvent Abbott’s technological protection measures by disassembling the LibreLink program, and use the Infringing Software to modify the LibreLink program.

1 Like

So what’s the big deal with xdrip? Why use it over the normal Tandem or Medtronic closed loop pump system? I’m guessing the xdrip I can configure to be as aggressive as I want?

1 Like

Xdrip is very customizable and works very well. It works with Android/Google wear devices, has a glucose number option at the top of your screen, a screensaver when your phone is charging, very accurate and customizable predictive lows based on your insulin, pump data or basal, insulin to carb ratios, etc, and most importantly allows for roughly 6 different customizable tones for low, predicted low, high, persistent high, rapid drop, and rapid rise…which I use all the time especially at work or in the sun when its hard to see any screens

3 Likes

I wasn’t aware of any difference between the US and EU versions of the Libre 2. Are you saying that you can’t use the Libre 2 with a phone at all, and only with the hardware reader?

1 Like

Unfortunately, that is correct for the u.s. right now the app doesn’t work and they claim to be working on a u s. Version of the app, awaiting fda approval, although I don’t believe it…the reader is roughly $40-$90 u.s. depending on insurance coverage, but it is necessary for us

1 Like

Sad to hear. It’s a shame Abbott has to keep this tight control over the technology.

1 Like

To be fair, as RogerType1 mentions the app needs to FDA approved, so Abbott would probably rather just do the same thing in Europe and in the US, but can’t legally do that.

1 Like

You make a good point. I’m thankful that we have a common approval process in the EU so they don’t have to get approval in every single member country. That would have been awful.

1 Like

@kalle Do you know whether Libre 2 sensors started with the patched app can still be scanned by a reader (without alarms)?

No, a reader device can only read sensors that it has started. If the sensor was started by any version of the app, or another reader for that matter, it won’t work.

3 Likes