Food logging app — testers wanted!

We’ll give it a try, @masha. But, since we are already logging, it will be brief since you know it is time-intensive :slight_smile: We can only log twice for a week or two.

1 Like

I’ll try it out - just submitted email at the site.

2 Likes

@masha, is there a reason why you are not including the Dexcom G4/G5 in your compatible glucose meters? They are all Apple Health compatible—or aren’t they? They used to be and I would be very surprised if they are not any more.

@masha I currently with use a 3rd party to aggregate all my meter/pump info. They also have an app that lets me add context notes on the fly, but the service is relatively spartan on the Android side. The web based site has more info that I share with my Endo.

The site is Tidepool.org, and the app is Blip (also Tidepool)

2 Likes

I’m in Canada, so not sure if that matters…but I entered my name and email on the site as I’d be willing to log some food and check it out.

1 Like

I should probably warn you that almost all my feedback will probably be about accessibility. Well, maybe not all, but it will definitely be prominent in addition to the more generic type of feedback. :slight_smile:

First bit of feedback is that my screen reader (VoiceOver, in this instance) reads “751395204.png” for the image at the top of the invite email, which is not very useful. If this is an email template that will be used for every email to users, it would be great if it had alt text! (In fact, it would be great if ALL images in all emails had alt text.)

Now on to actually installing the app…

4 Likes

@Michel, thank you so much, we are looking forward to your opinion. We missed G4/G5 — thanks for noticing, already added those in the list. When you have the app, please turn on ‘CGM mode’ in the ≡ menu.

@Pianoplayer7008, thanks! Everything OK with the installation?

@elver So you sync via Tidepool uploader, no background wireless sync between meter/pump and your phone?

@Jen Thank you, Canada is very much welcome! Is everything OK with the installation? It’s a bit tricky at the start, cause you need to install 2 apps.

I already had TestFlight installed, so installation was easy.

I have the Dexcom G5 on my phone and also a Contour Next One meter. But I can’t figure out how to get glucose readings from these into the app. Is this not implemented yet?

Based on my one logged meal so far, here are some accessibility-related bits:

• I’m not sure if this is under your control through tab/focus order or something, but the VO cursor always starts at the bottom of the screen, which is annoying.
  • On the intro/setup screen three of five, I can select glucose meter fine, but when I go back over to check what I entered, nothing is read.
  • On another of the setup screens the text input and button seems out of order, both as read by VO and visually…I took a screenshot. I’m using an iPhone SE, so it has a smaller screen than the newer iPhones.

• When taking a picture, there’s an unlabelled button that is blank (so users would have no idea there’s even a button there, much less what it does). The back button, camera roll button, take picture button, and camera toggle button are all labelled, but there’s a fifth one in there that is silent.
  • Much the same thing with the save screen that pops up after taking a picture…the retake and save buttons are read, but there’s another one in there that is totally silent.
  • Same with the next screen…the button between the save button and where it says meal time is silent.
  • Same on the main screen, there is a silent button between the picture and date.

Other than the silent button issues, the app is pretty accessible! I’ll continue logging more meals and BG and comment on more general things in a few days. Unfortunately, the bug reporting part of the app (or maybe TestFlight, not sure) was totally inaccessible - I did gather that you shake to report a bug, but I had to exit VO to even get past those screens. Not sure if that’s something under your control or not.

[Edit to add]: I just realized that when focus is on the picture, VO is reading “before add after add” and those are buttons. I can’t actually access them to add the blood glucose… I can access the add button near the top of the screen, but when I try to change the date/time of that glucose, VO continually reads the entire date/time picker screen (which is odd, as those are typically accessible) and nothing on the screen is accessible. I have to exit VO or close the app just to get out of that screen. So at least accessibility wise, at the moment, entering BG is something VO users cannot do.

4 Likes

@masha the only wireless sync I have is via Dexcom G5 to pump & phone app. Tidepool is a cabled download via net

2 Likes

Yes! I got it installed this morning. We had a busy day, so I’ll start logging tomorrow and will post my thoughts whenever I have some to share.

2 Likes

@Jen, thank you A LOT, the team (and I) are very grateful for your thorough feedback. Now to the details:

I have the Dexcom G5 on my phone and also a Contour Next One meter. But I can’t figure out how to get glucose readings from these into the app. Is this not implemented yet?

To autosync data from G5 and Contour Next One, you need to enable Apple Health sync in all 3 apps: G5 app, Contour app and Undermyfork. The quickest way to do that for all three apps, I think, is:

1. Go to Health app on your iPhone

2. Tap ‘Sources’ at the bottom menu

3. Tap each of the three apps in the list and enable ’Turn all categories on’ for each

After that, your will have data from G5 and Next One on Undermyfork automatically. Please turn on ‘CGM mode’ in Undermyfork menu to see the proper chart.

I’m not sure if this is under your control through tab/focus order or something, but the VO cursor always starts at the bottom of the screen, which is annoying.

Will look into this, not sure if it’s controlled on our side.

On the intro/setup screen three of five, I can select glucose meter fine, but when I go back over to check what I entered, nothing is read.

We’ll try to fix this.

On another of the setup screens the text input and button seems out of order, both as read by VO and visually…I took a screenshot. I’m using an iPhone SE, so it has a smaller screen than the newer iPhones.

This is already fixed, you shouldn’t experience that in the next build (which will be autoupdated via Testflight)

When taking a picture, there’s an unlabelled button that is blank (so users would have no idea there’s even a button there, much less what it does). The back button, camera roll button, take picture button, and camera toggle button are all labelled, but there’s a fifth one in there that is silent.

This button is a flashlight switch, we’ve added a VO label to it, and we’ll work on VO-ing each mode, too.

Much the same thing with the save screen that pops up after taking a picture…the retake and save buttons are read, but there’s another one in there that is totally silent.

Fixed

Same with the next screen…the button between the save button and where it says meal time is silent.

Fixed

Unfortunately, the bug reporting part of the app (or maybe TestFlight, not sure) was totally inaccessible - I did gather that you shake to report a bug, but I had to exit VO to even get past those screens.

It’s a 3rd party service, too bad it won’t work with VO smoothly, we’ll look into what to do with it

VO is reading “before add after add” and those are buttons. I can’t actually access them to add the blood glucose…

Thanks, we can fix that

I can access the add button near the top of the screen, but when I try to change the date/time of that glucose, VO continually reads the entire date/time picker screen (which is odd, as those are typically accessible) and nothing on the screen is accessible.

Ouch, sorry! We’ll fix that soon, too

Jen, could you please also tell us a bit more about how you navigate the app via VO? Which gestures do you use for moving through tabs, how do you scroll the chart and swipe the picture feed?

@Pianoplayer7008, yaay, waiting for your thoughts, too!

3 Likes

The first time I encounter a screen I start from the top and use a one finger left (and right) swipe to explore all the buttons/objects on the screen. The next time I encounter a screen, if I’m familiar with it and know where the button I want is, I tap directly on something in that area of the screen, maybe swiping once or twice if I’ve landed on the wrong button, and once I’m on the right button, I’ll double tap (or split tap with another finger).

The photo feed I can move through by swiping left or right with three fingers. VO will announce “page one of two, page two of two” similar to the iPhone home screen.

The BG chart at the top is not read out at all so is not accessible/navigable.

When scrolling through the pictures of meals the BG info is read out great "before XX mmol/L after YY mmol/L). It would be great if there was a way to tag the picture so it would read what the meal was. This would also of course benefit if there was a search feature so that the next time I ate a certain meal I could search to see if I’d eaten it before and what impact it had on my BG…that’s how I’d use the app if I was using it.

I’m just logging my second meal now (I forgot to log dinner last night, remembered after I had eaten it!), so I’ll provide more feedback as I log more. :slight_smile: Thanks so much for giving us the opportunity to provide feedback on this app at such an early stage, especially the accessibility feedback!

4 Likes

@Jen, we’re too very excited about learning how to do VO. Any success with setting Apple Health sync?

Hey everyone, we’ve been silently developing for a while, and I’m here to share the news. First, thanks to everyone for contributing feedback and ideas, it helped us a lot!

Now to the updates:

1. the app is now live on the App Store :slight_smile:
  2. we added insights: a simple analytics of all your logged meals according to the % of time in range after eating
  3. we added tagging, so it’s now possible to note any specific context to the meal pictures, like exercise, insulin dosage, restaurant, breakfasts, dinner etc. (and, tapping on the tag, browse this category in terms of TIR insights).

Although we have a long list of improvements yet to be done (Android! and some other from your previous comments as well), I once again welcome everyone here to test and share thoughts on what can be done better. Plus, it’s so much easier now, cause you can get the app straight from the App Store.

5 Likes

Thanks for your efforts for the Diabetic community!

2 Likes

@masha I am and I’m sure others here too would be happy to field test the Android version.

1 Like

Second that.