Double bolus as a daily thing?

@Chris, I’m trying! :blush: Last night was the first time in over a year I ate what I wanted in the portion I wanted (not measuring or counting carbs) - a rice-based meal, mug cake and ice cream, and popcorn all in one evening (not a usual night for me, haha), and never tested over 110 (thank you, Afrezza!).

@daisymae, unfortunately, Quaker doesn’t have any celiac safe oats (they do have GF, but I personally don’t feel comfortable eating them). Right now I’ve just been buying whatever’s for sale at our local salvage store (cheap!), so I’ll have to experiment with other types of oats! I’m just excited to have a normal rise from it at all (even if I did once again have to follow up with some peanut butter ~2 hrs later to keep my BG up til lunch).

have you tried the Steal Cut Oats yet? they digest very slowly and you might not need the PB later on. are you possibly giving yourself too much insulin up front? maybe you can do an extended bolus to even things out more???

are you on a pump or do you do MDI ?

I haven’t tried steel cut. I think my mom has safe rolled oats, and I’ll be going there for Thanksgiving, so I’ll probably try those then.

I’m on MDI. The problem is instant oatmeal spikes me hard and fast, so I need more up front than I normally do, but it “burns out” quicker, before my DIA time is up. I really don’t mind the pb snack mid morning (and I’m at home most days, so it’s easy to grab). I used to eat a snack midmorning all the time, actually, but I cut it out mostly because there just isn’t enough time in the morning with a 45 min pre-bolus to really pull it off, and I’m not starving without it, so I assume I don’t really NEED it.

gosh; that sounds so frustrating. i haven’t been on MDI in 17 years so i can hardly remember the math of it all; on the pump, i let it do most of the work for me. i don’t calculate half what i used to. also, before i went on the pump, there were not all these fancy new basal insulins that there are now. i was on Lente and Regular and NPH all together like a cocktail of sorts. it was a mess. i just stayed away from most foods at times or i was completely negligent and didn’t give a S what my BGs and A1cs were. it all felt so futile.

happy to hear about your courage and your perseverance. keep on truck’in. when you like something enough, its worth figuring out. :wink:

1 Like

Peanut butter in oatmeal can be really delicious—not enough to keep me from spiking to the point where oatmeal just doesn’t seem worth it to me at all, but it might work for you!

1 Like

I actually did try that at one point, and while it didn’t make me gag…it was close. :wink: I’m kind of weird about peanut butter. I love it by itself, but I don’t really Iike it with anything else - even pb&j or chocolate and peanut butter I have to actually be craving for some odd reason to really enjoy it. I might eat a spoonful alongside the oatmeal and see what happens, lol

Ha, fair enough! I like it in lots of things—I’ve actually made great mashed sweet potatoes that use pb as the added fat (kind of a West African flavor profile). I did the oatmeal/pb thing when I was at this retreat for a week that had all vegetarian/“healthy” food, which translated to all very high carb and not nearly enough protein. My blood sugars were just horrible that whole week.

That is intriguing - I’m trying to imagine what that would taste like (I LOVE sweet potatoes). Does it taste peanut butter-y?

To the retreat, whew. I can’t even imagine.

It does have a kind of nutty thing going on—I think the ingredients were: sweet potatoes, pb (I think processed/smooth versions would work best although I usually prefer the more natural kinds for eating straight or on bread), a little lemon juice, some chilis in adobo, ground ginger, and I can’t remember if I added any liquid (it’s been a while and I was just making it up as I went)—I think I’d probably use a touch of unsweetened plain almond or cashew milk if it needed any. I also make more often a great Thai-inspired peanut slaw involving lots of cabbage and other veggies in a peanut butter dressing.

Yummm. I make a twice baked sweet potato dish with chipotles in adobo (but also has butter, cream, maple syrup) - I love the combo of spicy and sweet.

That slaw sounds pretty good. I need to expand my Thai recipe list; my husband loves Thai food.

Well, here’s one!

Thai Peanut Slaw

Dressing (I usually make a double batch, so twice this):

• 6 Tbs oil (I do half and half canola and sesame)
  • 6 Tbs rice wine vinegar
  • 5 Tbs creamy pb (I use the all peanuts kind and add salt to taste)
  • 3 Tbs soy sauce (use tamari for gluten free)
  • 3 Tbs brown sugar (probably could be replaced in part with sugar substitutes if desired)
  • 2 Tbs minced ginger
  • 2 Tbs minced garlic
  • a generous squirt of sriracha
  • 1/2 a lime, squeezed in

Slaw (this is enough for that double batch of dressing and just a rough guide, since all sorts of veggies work, broccoli would also probably be great):

• cabbage, red, green, and/or napa—2-3 heads
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • a bunch of carrots (I used most of a bag of baby ones, cause I’m lazy)
  • a kohlrabi
  • a bunch of scallions
  • cilantro to taste

I just food process with a slicer all of it, and mix it with dressing and it makes a TON of slaw. Like, I will eat it all week long and feed it to other people, but I don’t mind that at all. If you want a regular amount, use the amount of dressing as is and fewer veggies. You can also top with protein (tear up some chicken breast maybe, or some tofu cubes or shrimp) for a complete meal.

1 Like

I am totally making those asap.

I make mashed sweet potatoes with coconut oil and nutmeg all the time. But peanut butter? Sounds like a revelation.

1 Like

Here’s peanut butter with chicken wings, one of our “too Thai-ered to cook” faves. The two of us usually share the whole recipe, which means 10 g carb per serving. We prefer a chunky pb, and of course you’ll want a gluten-free soy sauce.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-wings-in-peanut-sauce-104540

3 Likes

peanut butter in ANYTHING is delicious. (I eat it with yogurt and Skyr and more) :yum: :rofl:

1 Like

If you are a Costco member, you can make the Peanut sauce and use the already grilled chicken skewers for the too “Thai-ered to even fire up the oven” and just make the sauce in the food processor kind of days.

2 Likes

Yes! I like yogurt with peanut butter, frozen blueberries (I use the tiny wild kind, Trader Joe’s has great ones), and sometimes added nuts/seeds/something for a bit of crunch. My partner adds a bit of maple syrup to hers, but I don’t think it needs it.

2 Likes

I make my own pb at the organic food store in my neighborhood; I can make it as crunchy or as smooth as I am in the mood for!! its fantasia!

I like your blueberries idea. I think I’ll go to the market tomorrow and buy some and try it out for myself. sounds delicious :yum:

2 Likes

@Eric - Double bolus sounds very reasonable and sensible for all the reasons that you mentioned. Do I still pre bolus ?

I did recheck my pre bolus for dinner today:
T=0, BG =108 , bolus for dinner
T= 15 minutes BG= 109
T= 30 minutes BG = 79.
30 minutes seem reasonable for pre bolus for dinner.

I took a little extra insulin for my dinner - enough for about half a grapefruit if I go low. I wasn’t planning to eat the grapefruit unless BG goes low.
1 hour after bolus, I finished dinner. BG was 50 . I decided to eat the grapefruit.
2 hours after bolus , BG was 155
2 hours and 45 minutes after bolus BG 185.
It seems like my grapefruit correction was too much. I thought about using a dextab, but I thought since I bolused extra, the grapefruit would be ok.

1 Like