Do you abide by meter expiration dates?

Do you abide by meter expiration dates? When I’ve looked, I’ve only ever seen the expiration date printed on the box, not on the meter itself. Unless I’m missing something, unless you keep your meter paired up with its original box, how would you ever know it expired?

The actual meter?

No. Never.

3 Likes

Wait, meters expire? (So my answer is, no)

7 Likes

I have never seen one :slight_smile: Is it possibly because you cannot change its battery? If not, I also would totally disregard.

1 Like

The endo who fired me during my second pregnancy was big about meter expiration dates. She flipped out when I didn’t know whether my meter was expired…BC IT’S NOT PRINTED ON THE METER.

Sorry for the internet yelling. She was frustrating to work with.

3 Likes

I also had no idea they expired. Sounds like a scheme to make you buy a new one

5 Likes

I wait till they die. They usually do within a year or two for me, so I figure that roughly corresponds to the expiry date.

3 Likes

I just got new meter at no cost, because my insurance company changed from One Touch to Accu-check. So had a box handy. The box contained meter and one container with 10 strips. The outside box and label on BG strip container have same date, 12/31/2019.

I think meters that ship with strips show the strip expiration date on outside of box.

I do get new meter every couple years. I think the slot where strip is inserted might degrade over time due to dirt, moisture, etc. Typically get award points from CVS, and often use that to buy meter, or buy cheap on AZ.

3 Likes

Wow. The people they give degrees to! Using that logic, I assume a lot of things around me have expired. My daytimer, the plate I just ate my lunch off, my pencil, myself …

6 Likes

I wondered the same thing, but I recently bought two different Contour meters which did not come with sample strips, and both boxes showed expiration dates.

1 Like

I have posted on FUD about how pencils work well after the expiration date.

Oh wait, that was insulin. Nevermind.

Toss those pencils, Beach.
:grinning:

7 Likes

My wall calendar has an expiration date of Dec. 31, 2019.

I usually blow those expiration dates off also.

5 Likes

Does it have cute little pictures of vaguely marsupial creatures?

Like a picture of a mongoose hanging from a tree limb with the caption, “Hang in there baby, it’s almost Friday!”

5 Likes

I don’t think that meters expire. I think as long as they are working accurately and checked every one in a while with control solution then they are fine. If there is a problem with a meter, call the company and they will usually send a new one (I had a Freestyle Lite meter replaced once). It’s the strips that they make the $$ of off, not the meters.

If a meter expires and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

9 Likes

Did she also tell you to only use your poker lancets once?

4 Likes

I never actually ran an experiment, but assumed that the meter expiration dates were because the analog portions of the measuring circuitry would have components such as resistors that could go out of tolerance with age, possibly reducing the accuracy. This whole notion of “drifting out of calibration” is a real thing, but I don’t know if it actually matters with our glucometers.

1 Like

The way she flipped out indicated she was onboard with that idea.

FWIW, I talked to a good friend today who used to work Customer Support for one of the major meter companies. She said they received no training related to meter expiration dates. She said that if it is not printed on the meter then it is not an FDA requirement. In their trouble shooting script, there was no question about age of meter. She said the test strips is where all of the magic happens and that is what is regulated by the FDA as far as expiration dates.

2 Likes

100% agree.

3 Likes