Do you abide by meter expiration dates?

We abide be no expiration dates. Literally zero. :smiley:

1 Like

even on, like, milk?

Lol. Yes. Not milk either. :stuck_out_tongue:. Specifically referring to d-supplies

1 Like

I don’t think there has ever been a gallon of milk that has been in my fridge that has reached the expiration date.
:grinning:

Agreed. Dates are stupid.

I trust my spot checks.

Milk = chunky? Dump it.

No chunks? Still good.

Yeah. Usually not relevant for us until we return from a week away from the house. Then sometimes…

2 Likes

Ummmm… I must be the worst diabetic ever because I did not know meters expire.

In other news, I used some expired test strips with my omnipod the other day because I did not feel like walking up stairs to get my normal meter with the non-expired strips. I think they were of a 2017 vintage. 2017 - Good year for strips :wine_glass:

6 Likes

I nominate you for best quote of the day*.

(*Please note this is an imaginary award that carries no significance except in my very small reptilian brain, take that for what it is worth)

4 Likes

Best quote—of the week, or more!!!

2 Likes

I’m with cardamom- I had no idea meters expired. I used my first meter for thirteen years with no problems until I dropped and broke it last year. I’m the same way with lancets too and only change them when my finger pricker breaks (again, usually because of a drop). I’ve been using the same one for the past several years and have never had any problems. I freely admit this to my PCP (no endo in over a decade) and he never had an issue with it. How often do you actually switch yours out? What’s real-world lancet use like for other T1D people?

2 Likes

I’ve been using meters for 27 or 28 years (the other day I got all confused about how long I’ve actually had diabetes…) and didn’t even know they had expiration dates. So nope.

The strips I’m using right now are expired, too. As long as they are accurate (and some do become inaccurate, or if Accu-Chek will lock you out completely), I’ll continue to use them.

2 Likes

I thought about this question when my Dexcom was so mismatched with my Omnipod meter…and with the Contour meter I bought.

I wondered if meter expiration dates might really matter and if the Omnipod meter could have gone wobbly on me since I think I’m still using the second to last PDM I received. I was able to renew and get a fresh PDM when the first one went out of warranty, fortunately, but since the old one still worked I never switched to the newer one.

Anyway…just was curious y’all’s thoughts since it crossed my mind and I’d had an endo be adamant about it before. I never noticed the meter box expiration dates until she flipped out on me about it. Now I notice them and always think of her crazy —.

1 Like

A meter expiration date makes zero sense to me.

A crazy person makes complete sense to me.

3 Likes

Lol!

I don’t know about other people ( not even @Eric), but I use lancets until they are so dull that they just bounce off of my skin. About 2 years.

1 Like

Ha, Ha - Nice one @Beacher

4 Likes

Only if you are using strips that expire before the meter does.

2 Likes

One way to check – with any meter – is to do a test at the same time as, or promptly after, getting blood drawn for a random or fasting glucose (often done at the same time as an A1c), and making note of your CGM reading at the same time. My PDM and G4 often don’t agree, sometimes significantly. I did get my first receiver replaced because the blood test check confirmed my PDM was accurate and the Dexcom wasn’t.

2 Likes