DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

Week 6…

2 Likes

We need a conference call anyway, but yes, that makes sense. We were on the same age… I just misunderstood the wording.

And, yes, you understand it all correctly about Basal-IQ just cutting and not adjusting.

Hills! I forgot you could work that into the schedule. :woman_facepalming:

I know how to do them outside now since I found one that was just short of a 5 minute stretch, but if I were to do them on the treadmill tomorrow, would that be okay? I have to take my little one to a Maryland appointment in the morning and then to therapy in the afternoon and then to practice— so I’m not sure where I’m going to squeeze this in, but jumping on the treadmill would make it easier in case I’m in a jam… And if so, how would I do it? Like what type of settings are we talking about? Or are we not talking about settings because it’s not an option…

If you gotta do the treadmill, try somewhere around 7 degrees at 9:13 pace.

1 Like

You don’t think a 7 will kill me? Didn’t I do a 5 the last time??

A 7…

Never mind. I’m going outside. :grin:

Okay I’ll call Garmin today. Really don’t want to, but I’ll do it. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I got everything else ordered though. Should all have my wedding rings by tomorrow. :thinking:

1 Like

So I went out today for my hill run thinking it was going to be easier than that treadmill option you gave me, and that’ll teach me for trying to avoid hard. Didn’t realize we were in the tail end of a windstorm. :smiley:

Workout was to do hills, 7 sets, working the uphill for 5 minutes and going very relaxed and easy on the downhill. I went back to the one I found a couple of weeks ago which meant a mile and a half run to the starting point. I had an hour of ZB this morning, no coffee, no carbs or activity, and I headed out the door at a 93 and was at a 92 a mile in. So I guess we’ll call 92 my starting BG.

Starting BG: 92
1st Recovery: 94
2nd Recovery: 105 (not sure that wasn’t a misreading)
3rd Recovery: 89
*.35 unit bolus
*Huma
4th Recovery: 94
5th Recovery: 79
*Huma
*.2 unit bolus
6th Recovery: 71
7th Recovery: 70
*Resume basal
1 mile run back
11 miles: 73 (finish)
.5 mile walk: 112
2 unit bolus and banana

RPE probably around a 6 with 7 at the hardest points.
My foot is definitely bothering me, and it actually started acting up a couple of miles into the run today—which is the first time that’s happened. I also had some hip/upper thigh/knee stuff. I’m taking an Ibuprofen and a hot shower and maybe wrapping my foot… That stuff aside, I coudn’t be happier. :yum:

5 Likes

The BG stuff is tremendous. You have it figured out perfectly now. Not only did you stay locked in with your BG range, but you also got to have 46 grams of carbs which is ideal. Great stuff there.

I am a little bit worried about your foot hurting. Bail out of tomorrow’s run if it does not feel better.

4 Likes

And if it feels the “normal” amount of hurting? Run? Make any difference if I do treadmill or road?

Treadmill will probably be a little easier on it. It’s a softer surface.

Okay. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Ran. Foot was a normal level of hurting today, so I went for it. Was in a rush so I just had to get up and go… which meant no time for any pre-run magic. I was crashing when I woke up, so I thought I’d coffee and go, but it still spiked me to a 175, so I did .5 unit bolus (with pump) as damage control. I started at a 155, and although these numbers seem ugly compared to what I’ve been doing, they were actually a small victory. I believe in the pre-run magic, I really do, but I also have to be able to wing it and not spiral out of control, and today’s run was a controlled descent. Yes, I started at 155, and yes I finished at 65, but I didn’t crash. Gotta be able to do this, too.

Oh, and the run was kind of hard. My legs weren’t happy with the plan, but they worked themselves out and were good to go by about 3 miles.

Starting BG: 155
Mi .75: 137
Mi 1.5: 113
*Huma
Mi 2.5: 83
Mi 3.5: 73
Mi 4.25: 63
Mi 5: 65

And have been cruising since.

Thinking about making the appointment for my foot even though I’d like not to, and I’m waiting right now to get called back for my tailbone MRI. Waiting on my thumbtack lancets and wedding rings. :thinking:

4 Likes

Tell me about the run. Was it on the treadmill? What pace did you run?

Tired sore legs are a good thing. Especially after hill work like yesterday. If your legs weren’t tired, that would mean you didn’t work hard enough yesterday. Running on tired legs is part of the plan. So that much is good.

The pain is not good, and that’s what you need to address. A cortisone shot will help you a lot. Wear your inserts all the time, even when not running. Going barefoot is a bad thing for it. Go to the podiatrist and ask about getting a cortisone shot and also ask about getting a boot you can wear for a few hours a day, just when you are sitting around or lying down. That will help stretch the tendons and relieve the pain.

Everything else is good stuff. Everything is on track. Get your Garmin issue resolved too!

1 Like

@Nickyghaleb could the thumbtack Lancets and wedding rings be @Eric 's version of hillbilly bailing wire and bubblegum? Maybe they are to keep you in one piece until after the race?

2 Likes

Omg. I’m laughing so hard. Just catching up on this thread after the pickup lines thread. So funny! Stocked up on husbands!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

The rings are here. THE RINGS ARE HERE, @elver!! 3 rubber wedding rings. 4 until I got one stuck on my finger. Did I need all 4, @Eric?? :grin:

2 Likes

Yesterday feels like 36 months ago now… I’m trying to remember…

I actually have to go look at my post to (get my lies straight) jog my memory. :wink:

So that didn’t help much. I did run it on the treadmill, and because I did that, I’m going to assume it was at the exact pace you had me at.

I do remember. It was all rushed because I had to get to my MRI. Yes, treadmill, yes, 6.5, yes, tired legs, yes… whatever else you were asking. And I’ll try to find a podiatrist tomorrow. My current one knows I’m diabetic. :wink:

And 1 ring to rule them all @Nickyghaleb!

My Precious, the little thief stole my Precious!

4 Likes

And while I’m here, I’ll put up today’s run. I was supposed to do 6 miles at an 8:34 pace, and I don’t even know if that was supposed to be treadmill or not because I had no choice in the matter. Today was another packed one (complete with Lowe’s and a little light shopping :blush:), so I had to get it when it was available. There was still no coffee or carbs or activity going in, and there was still a nice flat 90 for at least an hour prior, but there was NO hour long ZB. Didn’t know I was doing it until it was time to do it, so I shut off the basal as I started.

Starting BG: 90
Mi 1: 92
Mi 2: 98
Mi 3: 93
*Huma
*.35 unit pump bolus
Mi 4: 67 (think the dip was because the difference in ZB)
Mi 5: 64
*Huma
Mi 6: 72
*resume basal
*2 units
Half mile walk
BG 108
*1.5 units
BG 158 (about 30 minutes after finishing… just trying to get my banana :angry:)
*1.5 units :angry::angry:

Finally had my banana like 45 minutes after finishing, maybe longer. I never spiked, but I definitely hugged a higher line than usual after my run today, so I haven’t had the chance to get many carbs.

Anyway, RPE was probably a 6.5 (6.5+ for miles 4-6), legs were tired, it was hot outside, and my son tried to tackle me at the start of my sixth mile, which made that one even harder than it already was. Tackle me. My 14 year old. :woman_facepalming: Finished in 50 minutes, and all miles were between 8:11 and 8:28.

3 Likes

You’re going to have to take the whole finger. Got that thing stuck pretty good. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like