DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

I got up today at 5:45 in the morning so I could get my run done. In the morning. On a Saturday. I used to do all my exercise before 7 am, but it’s been a while… But it worked out really well, so I might have to consider doing it again.

I had to do things a little differently because of the wake up time and start time and my coffee addiction and all that. Accommodations had to be made. I’ll just say they involved a small IV shot and one and a half cups of coffee and a full one hour ZB. (Coffee was still finished more than an hour and a half before running). It was not a perfect starting blood sugar, but all things considered, it also wasn’t half bad.

Oh, and I went with the treadmill. Couldn’t bring myself to do hills this morning.

Starting BG: 167
Mi 1: 156
Mi 2: 150
Mi 3: 140
*1/2 unit bolus
*Huma
Mi 4: 138
Mi 5: 144
Mi 6: 125
Mi 6.75: 111
*Huma
Mi 7.5: —
*1/4 unit bolus
Mi 8: 110
Mi 9: 111
Mi 9.3: —-
*Resume basal
Mi 10: 113 (finish)
Walked 1/2 mile and got off at 118

RPE was about 5.5 for 7 miles and topped off at a 6.5 in the very end. I did the cutdown stuff just like your example. I did 7 miles at 6.3, mile 8 was 6.5, mile 9 6.7, but mile 10 I did at 7.0 for the first 3 laps and 7.1 for the final.

And all done by 8:30 in the morning. Feeling good and great and satisfied.
:blossom::blossom::blossom::blossom::blossom:

7 Likes

Really great run. The last 3 miles when you are moving from zone 2 to zone 3 is good stuff. A great way to finish a 10. Nice work! Carb up.

1 Like

That’s a quote I’m gonna use… Lol

5 Likes

At your own risk, @elver… use away. :grin:

Mmmmmmhhhahhahjahaajawwwwwaaa! @Nickyghaleb. Just you wait… Lol

2 Likes

Silly Sunday

9 Likes

8 Likes

Dang, @ClaudnDaye, I was up and getting ready to accomplish a lot of stuff, and now you have me looking for funnies. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

You are most welcome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:

And now I’m worn out. Back to bed it is then. :grin:

2 Likes

Tell me about your basal last night after the 10 miles. Maybe your pump was doing stuff to it, but can you look at the numbers and see where you ended up for percentage?

I’ll check now, but I’ll tell you I also had some serious carbs last night—- so Basal-IQ had no reason to cut back my insulin. It would’ve though…

Be right back…

As a percentage… I’m not sure how you want this, but I can start with this:

My TDD since midnight is 19.91 units. My basal since midnight is 12.91 units, which is 64.8%. As I said though, I had a lot of carbs late last night, so my blood sugar stayed up between 180-200 for a few hours, eliminating the need for Basal-IQ to suspend. If I had skipped the carbs, I would’ve been suspended most the night.

Anyway my TDD the prior 24 hours was 44.49 units. My total basal was 17.44 units, which was 39.1%. I ran very early yesterday morning so with the exception of my overnight, the rest of those numbers were post-run.

I know it’s not exactly what you were looking for, but can we get the info from that??

What was zone 1? And what are zones 2 and 3? :grin:

I will post on the training zones when I have some time.

I was just wondering if the pump cut your normal basal. Like as a percentage overnight, did it make you run at 80% or 60% or something like that. But if you spiked from something you ate before going to bed, I guess it would not have messed with basal.

In general, can you get a percentage out of the thing? Like if you look at what it did for a time frame like overnight, does it give you some overall percentage?

I don’t mean your basal/bolus percentage, I mean changes to your basal.

For example, if your normal basal is 1.0 units per hour, can you get a 12 hour snapshot. Like if you look at 12 hours and see that you got 8 units during that time instead of the 12 units you would be expecting.

I have never had reason to look at it in detail, but it looks like I could go through my Basal History and see the times it suspended and resumed. So I could add up the totals and figure out the percentage decrease. Would you like me to do it for yesterday?

If you spiked before bed it’s not really of interest. It would not have changed your basal.

But on a long mileage day it would be interesting to see what adjustments you need. I sometimes go to 40% - 60%.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t it have changed my basal? I’m not sure I understand. If having my blood sugar stay up meant I got full basal, then didn’t it affect my basal? If I had stuck to the plan and had a light snack before bed, I think I would’ve collected a night full of suspends.

I’ve been trying to go with a 75% temp starting a couple of hours after I run, but I didn’t do that last night because I was afraid it was too long after the fact. I often run in the late afternoon, and then I know for sure I need the reduction. Yesterday though, having finished at 8:30 in the morning, left me unsure.

I think we are not on the same page.

Tandem does not automatically increase basal for high BG, right? They only do the automated basal cuts for low BG, right? Am I understanding that correctly?

On a normal day, if you run long, at night your BG will be dropping from that, so your pump will cut basal. I was interested in seeing how much your basal gets dropped by the pump at night, after a long run.

But…since you spiked before bed, your pump would not be cutting basal. It would just stay at 100%. So there was not much data to get out of you pump from last night.

Does all that make sense? If not, we will need a conference call. :wink:

3 Likes