DN’s Running and Other Mishaps Thread

are you going for a swim or a run? i am confused?

1 Like

DN,
Quick check on you.

• Did you do exercises today that were prescribed by your PT guys?
  • If not, was there anything standing in your way that prevented you from doing PT exercises today?
  • If there was something standing in your way, what was it and what steps did you take to get past the blockades?
1 Like

Thanks for checking on me. :relaxed:

I went to my first PT today with Nathan… I did all of the work there, and it was hard work. There were some things that hurt very badly, but he pretty much just had me keep at it until I got through the set. Speaking of crashes… I had no idea this was going to be actual work, and I crashed about…wouldn’t you know… 15 minutes in. I go back Wednesday, and I’ll at least decrease my basal going in.

So to answer all of your questions, yes, I did the exercises, and I was told only to do them there and nothing at home. I have PT Wednesday, a nerve block on Thursday, and PT AND sports medicine guy on Friday.

I was able to jump for about 45 minutes today and am managing to get a good workout that way. So at least there’s that. And funny story… I was walking down a dark hallway tonight responding to something on FUD when I tripped on a pile of pants I had left out in the hallway. Really did a number on my hip. So funny but not really funny. The way I see it though is that I’m not running anyway, so you can’t miss days that are already off.

hmmmm…
Is it one of those things where they don’t want you to get better too soon? Maybe they don’t think you can do them correctly. But it sounds suspicious. A dentist would never tell you “only floss in my office!”

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought about that. I asked him if there were exercises to do at home, and he said not yet. He said once we were doing the same exercises over and over, and they were becoming almost boring, then he’d have me pick those up at home. I didn’t question anything… which is not usual for me, but my BG was a 40-ish, and I was beginning to sweat profusely. :smiley:

And I don’t think that was the case… He commented a couple of times on how well and how quickly I picked the exercises up and how I wasn’t a “motor moron”, as they say in the business. :thinking:

How many times per week are you supposed to go back and do them?

There is not much that is fixed by once-per-week.

If you were paying for your kid to go to piano lessons, would he only play the music once-per-week at his lesson?

1 Like

This was your recommendation… This was Nathan, young by the book guy with access to all of the equipment. I see him 3 times a week, and all of the work is done there. My guy, Kevin, is the sports medicine guy who is older and is a runner himself. He’s the one who wanted to see me once a week and have me do the exercises at home… so when you put it all together, it’s all PT all the time. :smiley:

Ok, so the exercises that require equipment you only do there, but 3x per week, and the other ones you can do at home?

That sounds good. As long as you are working a sufficient amount, but not over-working the same muscles.

Did they tell you what was causing your pain?

Yes, right now I’m combining two different places… Nathan and Kevin… Right?? I thought you were in charge here… :wink:

But seriously. I thought you were in charge here… should I still be going to both? One has me doing exercises in-session and the other has me doing them at home. There hasn’t been overlap yet, BUT I’ve only been for one session—so there couldn’t have been. :smiley:

I don’t know if I overworked something or if I hurt myself tripping—or both—but my right hip is WRECKED right now. It’s back to a week ago. I’m taking ibuprofen tonight (just so i can sleep) and hoping tomorrow is better.

My guy, Kevin, didn’t say what it was. He said he didn’t think it was my back and didn’t think it was stress fractures. Nathan said it was IT band, bursitis, inflammation, and hip pointers… He didn’t really, but he kind of did. He talks about all of those things at present like they’re all the problem. So I’m not sure what he’s thinking.

Since I have not been to any of your PT sessions, I can’t really be in charge. I am trying to piece it all together from your accounts of what they are saying.

I think it is reasonable that you are working different areas of your body. If an area is not hurt, doing exercises for it won’t hurt it. It’s fine. No negatives there, other than time spent on the exercises.

So a big broad approach is good for now.

Eventually though, it will be good to narrow it down and figure out what the problem areas are, and how to strengthen them, and focus on them.

You are good to go for now. Keep it up, pursue it aggressively.

I think that tripping was probably more to blame for your pain than the PT stuff.

1 Like

Well then I’ll continue on…

Do you have any guesses on how long before I get to start running a little again?? I know you don’t know, and I’m not trying to pin you down… just wondering…

Your PT guys will say 6 weeks. I say 4.

You could run tomorrow if you want, but I mean 4 weeks with reasonable comfort.

1 Like

Then I’ll get my mind wrapped around 4. That’ll blow by.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

All dressed up with no place to go.

:disappointed_relieved:

And in pink… because after all that, it was the only one available in my size. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

That calls for some action with a Sharpie. Black would cover, I don’t know about blue…

1 Like

You read my mind. :grin:

Okay. Did more physical therapy today. Heavy duty stuff. Don’t know if it’s going to help my hips, but I’m gonna be ready for a She-Ra muscle woman competition when it’s done, and that’s cool, too. Tomorrow, finally, I have the first nerve block. Then double physical therapy on Friday and then sleep all weekend. :grin: I’ve been jumping on the trampoline for about 45 minutes a day, and that’s about it.

That’s my update. I’ve just had a big crash that ended in my eating so many things that if I can crawl up the stairs and onto the floor in front of my bed, I’ll call it close enough and stay until tomorrow. I hate it when I know I shouldn’t ignore the fact I’m going low but then ignore the fact I’m going low anyway. 8600 calories… I think that’s what I did.

3 Likes

Are you walking with no pain? Any pain on stairs, either up or down? Any pain on the core work?

With the trampoline, there is not much hip extension, abduction or rotation, and only a small amount of flexion. So that sounds mostly safe for your hips.

It’s good that you are doing all of that stuff.

1 Like