Disney Cruise Remy Dessert

We just got back from a Disney cruise! I threw caution to the wind as we tried the Remy (dining location) desert affair (see menu below). I have no idea what the carbs were, just dosed heavily trying to anticipate the sugar load and fats for each of the 6 deserts. My BG got as high as 188 (which I considered a great success!) and slowly came back into normal range. It was definitely worth the price of admission (not sure about cost of the affair, but BG/insulin wise in any case)!! The first pic is the “menu” though everyone got one of each (I ate part of my wife’s Forét Noire…my fav by far!). The second pic is the Citron which actually is type of lime vice lemon; it takes 3 days to make and even close up you could be forgiven for thinking it was real the outside is white chocolate, the yellow inside is a sweet-tart lime mousse, and the green inside is a sweet-tart dicing of the actual lime. The leaf/stem is real to set the tone. I DID choose to skip the three desert wine and champagne pairings they offered.

Our grandson kept us busy on the Aquaduck water slide and running around, which I’m sure helped my BG’s try to stay in line the rest of the trip! A bit wider swing post meal, but even with the different meals and trying a mint chocolate-chip Sunday, I managed to stay 69% TIR (80-160) with a 132 avg, 29 StdDev, & 23% COV. For a 68 yr old geezer, that ain’t bad!

11 Likes

That’s awesome, Tom!!!

4 Likes

Bravo! I wouldn’t have had the guts to attempt it but it sounds delicious, and a great result.

4 Likes

That’s awesome @TomH ! Congrats on doing it right!

The picture looks incredible. As they say in French cooking - first you taste with the eyes.

4 Likes

Looks delicious and worth any meanderings!!!

1 Like

So, the wife and I are on another cruise, headed to Dominican Republic right now, seems like dead slow from looks of the waves. We thought we’d been on the ship before (Explorer), but apparently not; strange cabin for RC, deck 12 forward, no balcony, but has floor to ceiling windows tilted outwards all the way across and cantilevered out over the water (I pointed out half the bed is over the water…much to my significant other’s chagrin!).

After my last comment about BG skyrocketing up, then down for no known reason, I’m glad to report I successfully negotiated breakfast! Eggs, smoked salmon, bacon, sausage, cantaloupe, half a bagel w/smear…and finished off with a chocolate iced donut (thought of my comment to @Eric about them) and a bran muffin!! Can’t help thinking of the “Be bold with insulin!” motto. Tonight is Chops Grille with what I hope to be a juicy steak, roasted Brussel sprouts, and a loaded baker… Told myself to @&#$ with it, I’m going to enjoy myself!

My best to all! :sun_with_face:

7 Likes

Easier (and more tasty) to fix a low than it is to fix a high! :grinning:

Enjoy your trip! Post some pictures!
:star_struck:

2 Likes

When you get those rich and high carb meals, about how much do you adjust your bolus? For example, if you usually bolus 7 units for a meal at home, how much would you bolus on the cruise - let’s say for that breakfast you just described?

Enjoy and send along pics!

3 Likes

Here’s some pics of our trip so far. The first couple are our day relaxing on the beach. One of the port “freebie area” of fun for kids with it’s own lazy river. One of me on National Cheddar Day (who knew?!). The water slide (from below) that the wife and I did three times today (dropped 40 points due to alcohol and 60 steps up for each trip plus the exhilaration of the trip down!). Now ensconced in the Schooner Bar listening to classical guitar…next is well deserved sleep!

Tomorrow we’re set for small personal craft to snorkeling! I may have bragged too soon, have seen excursions of BG from 53 to 278 with corrections of larger than normal insulin corrections and interesting low treatments…hey, ya gotta live, eh?!!! Don’t get to do this all the time!

Hope this finds all well (including @CarlosLuis keep up the good results!). I’ll try to answer questions on my return…don’t always have readily usable internet….

6 Likes

Looks like a great time!! Yum, cheese and :grapes:!! Definitely need a bolus though!

2 Likes

Yeah…I skipped the grapes! Good thing I like cheeses!

2 Likes

I have the same kinds of blood sugar swings in the first couple of days when I’m in those kinds of vacation environments. My advice fwiw - worry more about the lows than the highs! I am usually able to figure it out and get more under control within a couple of days.

5 Likes

@bostrav59 I use MyNetDiary (D edition for diabetics) to calculate carbs (I use their net carb setting, closest to what I’ve experienced in results). (Note: I had an internet package and could connect to the database.) Frequently MND has multiple database entries for the same food, so you have to do a sanity/previous experience check on what works best for you. If I don’t see a food on the plate there, I guesstimate the amount/carb load based on known/believed ingredients. During the cruise, I sometimes doubled my normal meal-time dose based on quantity of and what I ate. Examples: breakfast was larger consisting of eggs, bacon, smoked salmon, cantaloupe, sausage, cottage cheese, a hash brown potatoe serving, and coffee; normally I’d just have eggs, ham, yogurt w/blackberries/raspberries, and coffee. Interestingly the bolus require was only a unit or so more than normal due to the heavy protein load. I don’t normally eat regular ice cream, pizza, or similar but they had a triple chocolate and pepperoni that called to me and I dosed 6 units at 1:6.8 for the ice cream and 3-4 units per slice of pizza though spread over a longer time due to the fat content (I’d still climb higher than preferred initially (180-215) because it was spur of the moment, no pre-bolus), but come back down within 2 hours or so.

2 Likes

IMG_1047

We’re back home (after one of the roughest air rides I’ve experienced in quite sometime Miami to DC)! Need to go to the store this morning as we’ll have to cook our own food, no lazing by the pool and no more splurging on buffet breakfasts until the next big sailing! We’re going on the Wonder of the Sea next month… (Hey! I didn’t schedule it, my wife and daughter did!) I need to get tested between now and then for I think is developing Celiac…the wonderful breads about did me in this trip! A doc visit is in my future…I understand there’s a blood test they can do. Avoiding wheat/gluten products 24-48hrs seemed to be the cure…damn, I love a good bread or roll…a good sourdough that bites back or at least makes you chew a bit, the soft cheese/garlic rolls they had on ship…will be hard to give them up, but beats unplanned trips to the porcelain throne!

The pics are of a dinner serving of thick smoked bacon at dinner in Chops Grill, the ship in port at St Thomas (note the KC banner on the boat in front), and sunset with the ClubMed2 as it left port (St Kitts I believe)….

Met some new cruisers on the ship planning a Disney Cruise…we referred them to the Remy Desert adventure (see post that started this all…)

Live as best you can, while you can, where you can…

4 Likes

FYI You may test negative for celiac but still be gluten-sensitive, as is my husband. (We are still able to share the toaster and bread cutting board regardles—go figure.) In the event you need to modify your diet, several of us on FUD can offer advice and make recommendations about GF food brands and provide recipes that work.

2 Likes

Dumb Question- How do you know without testing positive? Do you have to go ahead and get the biopsy that someone normally gets after testing positive for antibodies?

1 Like

It’s been so long I honestly can’t remember the process he went through! :crazy_face:

1 Like

@CatLady I haven’t done a search for Celiac yet, will do, but in the meantime if you’ve got any recommendations, I’d like to get whatever info you have either PM’d or posted…. Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

This is a helpful website:

I expect the DC area has more than one dedicated GF bakery (if you need to go that route) and perhaps a GF restaurant or two. Label reading is important, too, but that’s a skill we here all have! GF brands he prefers are Schar and Canyon Bakehouse.

2 Likes

Thanks Tom for the great update. I’ve just been back from a vacation as well and it’s always interesting and challenging to manage insulin and diabetes on a different routine. We were in St Maarten in the Caribbean at a timeshare which had its own kitchen - and that is really handy for me and my wife as it allows us to have much more control over our diet - and to try the local stuff too.

As for bread, though, I also love bread and have spent a long time trying to figure out ways in which I can best eat bread. Fortunately, the darker, denser and tastier breads can have really low glycemic indexes. But on the other hand, the whiter and fluffier breads can generate incredible spikes.

If anyone’s interested we could do a whole thread on bread. Let me know and I’ll start one up.

7 Likes