Different Ratio for Certain Foods?

Curious, the I:C ratio of 1:8 works well for me for a lot of foods, but not for yogurt. Do I just accept that I need to bolus a bit more for yogurt? I’m not nixing it as I’m trying really hard to not put restrictions on food, and just eat more intuitively, but focus on real foods vs processed junk. I don’t think I have any issue with dairy, I eat a lot of cheese and cream without issue, but yogurt and cottage cheese always are hard to bolus for.

3 Likes

I find that I do better with Wallaby no sugar or Siggi’s low sugar yogurt brands. I usually add some pecan pieces and a few fresh berries, too.

4 Likes

When eating foods that are a mix of carbs, protein and fats, rather than mostly carbs, some count some of the protein/fat grams into the calculation.

This is referred to as T-A-G, Total Available Glucose.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s the way I’d do it. With experience I’ve learned how to bolus effectively for the way various foods work in my own body, and I really don’t care how it’s “supposed to work,” only how it actually works. It sounds like you’ve pretty much got the yogurt figured out; a few more tweaks and you should have it.

I think that’s a great approach.

Keep running the experiments to see what works better for those foods. If there’s an early spike, see if it helps to pre-bolus a bit earlier. If there’s a late rise, try a larger bolus or maybe an extended bolus or both. For myself, I have a reasonably good idea of what works, but I don’t worry about getting the initial bolus exactly right, I just keep an eye on the CGM and add a bit more insulin or carbs as often as needed to help the BG stay in a good range.

2 Likes

I used to try the plain yogurts but would only like them if I added like 4 Splenda and already have 2 in the morning + diet pops throughout the day, so I don’t anymore. I enjoy the vanilla flavoured ones much more and don’t need to add sweetener. I too add berries and pecans or walnuts YUM :drooling_face:

1 Like

I forgot about the protein factor. It’s weird because meat and cheese doesn’t do what yogurt and cottage cheese does. I’ll try blousing a bit stronger.

1 Like

The pre bolus thing might work because it eventually normalizes, yet it’s hard to know because control IQ is adding too. I’ll experiment with a longer pre bolus next time! I’m not good at waiting!

1 Like