Protein and Blood Sugar

Hello all,

Im a type one diabetic and have been for 28 years now . Developed the condition (Wont call it a disease as its not) when i was 8 years old…
Ive heard recently that protien can have a serious effect on blood sugars - Dropping them and causing insulin to work over time in the body … There’s research out there that says More protien more insulin needed but that contradicts the new study that protien causes lows … I was just wanting to know if anyone has been or is on a protien rich diet and what radios they use in Carbs to insulin ?!.. Thank You … Peace Out :v:

Some count protein, discussed here.

I bolus for protein.

I don’t have any ratios, I don’ t really use them. I just use experience. But it is definitely much less than I would bolus for the same number of grams of carbs.

7 Likes

I’ve just recently started using the extended bolus feature of the Tandem pump. It works well for high fat meals or for other foods with low glycemic indexes that raise your blood sugar over time. I am doing it on the repeated suggestions of my endo and it really does work well - bringing down those long period highs after high fat meals.

Like @eric, I don’t count carbs any more, but I do guestimate based on what I’m eating. we get pretty quick feedback with CGMs.

Oh, and welcome @MissKent . Stick around - i’d certainly appreciate your experience with the condition.

4 Likes