Different bread, different reactions

I am reviving this topic from 4 years ago - because there is already some really interesting observations about sourdough bread which I didn’t know and which are very useful. Thanks @daisymae !

And @TomH and @CatLady here’s a place where we can continue our bread conversations.

I love bread and when I was first diagnosed back in 2010 the educators told me - you have to cut out bread, which was crushing for me. Since then, I have figured a few things out. You don’t have to cut out bread, but you have to be careful.

I have a few bakeries throughout the country that are almost pilgrimage sites for me - (Cheese board in Berkeley, Zacks in Miami for example). Glycemic indices of bread are highly variable - some are quite low (like earlier in this thread sourdough); others are extraordinarily high, and often it’s not easy to predict which is which.

Here are a few observations on bread and diabetes:

1. Darker is better. If you have a choice between a white bread and a dark bread, usually the dark bread is lower glycemic. (Not always.)

2. Denser is better. There’s probably some good reason for this, but I don’t know it. But if you get a really dense really dark bread (like those Danish or German ryes) those seem to have low glycemic indices.

3. Bread bakeries are better than supermarkets. The bread is better and bakers are usually quite knowledgeable about their ingredients. So you can ask questions like: ‘what kind of flour is in this bread’

4. Most bakeries are not bread bakeries Turns out most bakeries in the US are sweets bakeries. I have not found a sweet baked good with a low glycemic index. And just because it’s a bakery doesn’t mean the bread is good. The sweets bakeries will often have some home baked bread but it’s usually white and mushy - and has a high glycemic index. A bread bakery will have at least 3 types of bread for sale everyday.

5. Pizza has never been good for my blood sugar. But I love it and try to eat in moderation - like half a piece at a meal.

My local bakery (called Iggy’s) has an “ancient grain” bread that has some spelt flour in it. I can eat a couple of slices of that and, with a proper bolus, it will show no change in my blood glucose, which is quite remarkable for me. They also have a good 7 grain. But their whole wheat bread will spike me.

I am spoiled and privileged in that I can buy bread from bakeries and don’t have to buy from grocery stores. I don’t know any good tasty low glycemic grocery store bread, but I’m sure there are some out there. Does anyone have any recommendations?

5 Likes