Dexcom6 sensor problems

I have a Dexcom6 insulin pump and several times when i’ve changed the sensor it wont let me calibrate and eventually says change sensors…so pretty much I just paid alot of money for the pump and for my sensors and only about half of them work…does anyone else have this problem?

1 Like

Hi @stevec,
We have lots of problems with G6 – ultimately we had to switch to a different location on our son’s body.
BUt the key is that you really, really need to call Dexcom the moment these sensors fail and wait through their cheesy hold music. They will send you a replacement for every single sensor that doesn’t last the full 10 days. Even fi it fails on day 9 at 22 hours, they will replace.

That’s the only way we have been able to tolerate the more frequent errors with the G6 versus the G5.

4 Likes

I have like 15 bad sensors, lol 3 boxes and I’ve spent well over 3000 for this stuff & no telling what my insurance has paid…and feel like I’m getting a little scammed…the pump is great when my sensors work but mine only last 7 days…it’s the g6 with guardian sensors…

Yeah, so the issue is that, as I said, you need to call them as soon as your sensor fails and they’ll send you a new one to replace it. There is no reason you should have 15 failed sensors and have none of them replaced. You can try calling them now and see how many they will replace… they probably will give you at least one for the newest failure. It depends on whether they can look through your data or not and see when the failures occurred, and whether you saved things like the calibration codes, the S/N, the transmitter number etc…

Which pump are you using?
Medtronic 670 pumps use Guardian 3 sensors with integration.
OR
T-Slim X2 uses dexcom G6 sensors with integration.

Either one, I agree contacting technical support is best.

3 Likes

Hi @Stevec,

I don’t usually calibrate…have you ever got it to work without calibrating?

From the Dexcom Website

How do I calibrate the Dexcom G6® for the first time?

The Dexcom G6® CGM System is designed to work properly without requiring calibrations:

Enter the unique sensor code that was printed on each sensor’s adhesive label during startup and you’re done.

If you don’t enter a sensor code, you’ll be prompted to manually calibrate your system using values obtained from a blood glucose meter and fingersticks.

Sensors require a 2-hour warmup period. (Use a blood glucose meter to make treatment decisions during that time.)

When you start a new sensor, you won’t get any readings or alarms/alerts until you enter your sensor code or two calibrations.

1 Like

Today has not been fun…G6 woke me up 3x with false lows (looked like compression lows but sensor was not being affected), then a Covid dx, then further false G6 lows and reading cut out completely w/no error, finally swapped out the sensor, waited 2 hours, and now the below BS! I’d Iike to rip the thing out and send it back to Dexcom! Sorry for the rant, I’ve about had enough fun! Feel like I jumped from the pan into the fire!

4 Likes

Sorry to all for my rant last night. Just too much going on and I reached my limit; trying to regroup and set a better tone for the day….

2 Likes

Those nights are so frustrating. :frowning: Sorry you had a bad night but it’s welcomed change when things finally become more stable.

2 Likes

Never any need to apologize for a rant: we have all been there! Hope today is better. :sunny:

2 Likes

I’m reviving this version of this topic just to share a pic that you guys might enjoy:

And of course all of my electronics are beeping and flashing and buzzing at me when my fingerstick comes back at 175.

But I’ve been here before, and the sensor eventu ally starts giving reasonable readings.

We’ve all been there.

7 Likes