Dexcom - stuff to have nearby

For those using Dexcom - do you carry : the transmitter, phone… And anything else? The last time that I tried the Dexcom,a few years ago, the transmitter needed to be within a certain distance of the sensor. Has it proba
changed or improved?

2 Likes

Transmitter is attached to the sensor on your body.

Did you mean receiver?
(Assuming G6)

Don’t need receiver if you have a supported phone with Dexcom app, or xDrip(android) or Spike (iphone).

The phone or receiver needs to be in bluetooth range of you to get readings, but will catch up missed readings when you come back in range.
And to.get alerts you would likely keep receiver/phone in range to your body.

2 Likes

We use the G6, my son uses his pump as the primary connection and his phone as the secondary. We never lose connection and have little to now dropout like we used to with the G5.

3 Likes

Yes- the receiver! the one that displays the BG number and graph.

As for the transmitter, how often does that need to be replaced?

I’m considering the pros and cons of Libre and Dexcom. They are different, for sure.

2 Likes

G6 transmitters last for 90 days.

3 Likes

Not for long. The next dexcom G7 may be more like the libre, with transmitter and sensor as one unit and both disposable after use, I think maybe lasting 14 days.

https://diatribe.org/whats-coming-dexcom-2020-low-cost-slimmer-fully-disposable-cgm

4 Likes

Goodness gracious, I am really unplugged, @MM2! The G7 had disappeared from my radar!

3 Likes

News on dexcom plans for G4, G5.

5 Likes

So sad! I really want Control IQ, but I don’t want the G6.

Perhaps I should be happier as the decision for Control IQ has been made for me.

Except to say, I have several boxes of G5 sensors (several months worth) and one transmitter as back up. I should be able to get another transmitter before the June.

I’ll have to learn how to replace the transmitter batteries!

1 Like

Or you can send them out for that. There are at least two Facebook groups where you can get this done.

2 Likes

The great thing about having the watch as the primary receiver is that it is always in range of the Dexcom transmitter. I use the watch as the primary receiver but is paired with my phone. The phone can be more than 200 feet from the watch and still broadcast the BG levels it receives from the watch.

1 Like

I use xDrip with watch also, but not as receiver. Its good there are options that meet different situations.
I plan to switch to Tslim pump which would also be receiver, and with me at all times, with alerts…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I now wonder how the Dexcom G6 will work xDrip and my combination. My Smartwatch, Son SWR50, has been a very reliable collector from the Dexcom G5. This watch is very unique since it has the transflective display with very good battery life from a charge. It is also water proof down to about 5 meters. It is also easy to repair items like replacing the battery. I replace my first battery after 5 years. I have also replaced the water seal. All of these characteristics are important and required. I also have an identical backup watch phone combination which I have yet to use.

I do hope my combination will continue to work with the Dexcom G6

1 Like

I have the same Sony watch and a Tandem Tslim working with the G6. It works as well as it did with the G5, and the G6 is working better for me than any Dexcom in the past. The watch is one of the primary receivers, and my Tandem Tslim pump is the other. @docslotnick was a huge help for me in the beginning getting it set up.

The G6 sensors have not been lasting as long as they once did, but I just finished restarting one (with difficulty) for the first time in months.

2 Likes

Randy,

Thanks again for the response and information about the SWR50. I am sure that with some ‘tweaking’ the G6 will also work out. Unfortunately I have a large inventory of G5 sensors. The transmitters are no problem since the batteries can be easily replaced.

Most likely I will need some help with restarting a G6 sensor when the time comes.

1 Like