Dexcom/Kevin Sayer Interview 4 Oct 2020

Kevin Sayer was interviewed by Diabetes Connections today. Of note is the discussion surrounding the G7 rollout, API integrations including live integrations, and adhesive issues. Additionally, the Dexcom Follow app is also being rewritten (possibly with greater usability??)

7 Likes

5:20 - VA Pharmacy Coverage

Bonus - Dexcom is trying to move away from Durable Medical Equipment (DME) and be covered under everyone’s pharmacy plans. Claims that 60% of Americans can get Dexcom through Pharmacy today.

10:10 G7 discussion

12:40 Data Integration with other manufacturers and Dexcom API’s, future of live API’s for Dexcom data is in the FDA.

18:30 Compression Lows

22:20 Adhesive Changes, (due to too many sensors falling off)

24:20 In-hospital use for Covid patients

26:50 Follow app discussion

2 Likes

I have same insurance as last year, and was covered only as DME last year.

This year, plan switched to Express Scripts as PBM, and now can get as Pharmacy.

But still have to get pump supplies from my horrible DME provider.

2 Likes

We are fortunate, as we have gone back to our large HMO for insurance, and so for DME we go directly to the manufacturers, thus cutting out the DME providers. But having had some horrible 3rd party DME stories as I am sure everyone here has, I feel for you. Good news on the Dexcom, we still have to go through DME for them, on our insurance, but Dex has so far been way better than our last DME provider from last year.

1 Like

My experience with Tandem pump purchase was horrible with my only option for DME. They charged my CCard when shipped, before EOB, so ended needing substantial refund that took 3 months and several phone calls.

1 Like

uugh, that is unfortunately worse than my worst story. Did they at least deliver what they promised? That was our biggest problem, no communication on changed orders and such.

1 Like

My insurer has multiple plans/metal tiers on pharmacy benefit for Dexcom, and the balance on DME. Trying to determine which is which prior to open enrollment has been a challenge as both parties (insurer and Dexcom) both have different answers. sigh

2 Likes

Same here. I have cigna and they purchased express scripts. It is very easy to work with them, their website is very clean and updated right away. But pump and cgm are under dme so expensive!

Btw, I recently put a new prescription in for Contour One strips, and cigna now covers them! A bit of a savings over oop :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Use CVS for dexcom, so easy. Love it!!

2 Likes

I switched to Costco, generally get better/faster service for Dexcom.

2 Likes

I use CVS also and have never used DME. I didn’t even know they would fall under DME.

That is my only worry with getting a Tandem is getting supplies. I don’t need any drama I my life. I’m pretty spoiled.

2 Likes

Getting Tandem supplies has been pretty straightforward for me. You have to call but it’s usually done in 10 minutes and the box of supplies usually shows up less than 5 days after calling.

1 Like

Honestly better to have the tool and decide you don’t want it after experiencing the benefits, than not to have the tool at your disposal at all.

That was exactly my thinking as well. Gives me flexibility and pretty much paid for by insurance.

1 Like

Yes and no.
First order with pump + supplies as expected.

First refill for infusions sets I wanted to change to 9mm from 6mm set. Called a week ahead, and thought it was all set. Was supposed to ship on 27, but check online and still in process. Wait on phone 30 minutes to speak with them, then put on hold. About 20 min later, came back and said they don’t know why, but said it would ship next day, but would be 6mm. It did. But I shouldn’t have to babysit them.

I previously got medtronic supplies from them with no problem. Possible demand for tandem may be lower. But their system should know precisely when my next order is due to ship. (And I don’t have buffer yet for Tandem).

1 Like

The interview was informative. There is a question however that was not addressed. I am a Dexcom user that is very impressed with the operation. I started with the G5 and will be soon switching to the G6. I am however using an unusual application. This application, not by Dexcom, allows a ‘stand-alone’ watch to be used as the data collector from the Dexcom sensor/ transmitter. In my environment I can’t use a smartphone for monitoring my BG level. This application has been a very reliable combination. When others see this application I am always asked how they can also use a standalone watch for monitoring the Dexcom. I only use a smartphone, when available, for downloading data from the watch and for an occasional calibration.

Is Dexcom working on developing such an application. The name of my app. is xDrip+. The standalone watch is the Sony SWR50.

2 Likes

Correction: I started with the Dexcom G5. I should have first proof read my post.

Made the edit for you. Please note, you should be able to edit your posts using the pencil icon in the three dots below your post.

2 Likes

@dmac thus far there are many people who are successfully using the G6 with XDrip, including myself. There should not be any significant hurdles that I am aware of using the G6 with the Sony watch either (though someone may come along and correct me as I don’t use the Sony watch).

2 Likes

I’m kinda excited to see when the Libre integrates with the future Tandem pumps. They are so small! Competition is always good. :slight_smile:

1 Like