Dexcom/Kevin Sayer Interview 4 Oct 2020

So I found in the Dexcom website a reference the the “Glucose Program App” which is invite only mode and outwardly appears to be realtime reporting/sharing of BG values with Dexcom realtime coaching.

the specifications list Android 10 only.

Based on the interview above I’m assuming this is what Keven Sayer was referencing as the zero delay follower app which would be an alternative to XDrip (Dexcom is losing tons of data to XDrip users which equals mucho money loss)

2 Likes

I’ve used xDrip+ since G4. I also use the Dexcom app now, too, on iPhone since using Loop. I don’t understand your comment, though I may just be naive. How is using xDrip+ a money loss for Dexcom? Do you mean because sensors and transmitters can be restarted? Or something directly related to BG data not going through Dexcom networks?

1 Like

@Trying , Dexcom monetizes the data streaming through the Dexcom servers by G5/G6 users in multiple ways. Primarily as a method of improving products, and secondarily by selling anonymized data sets for research to business partners and researchers. Those who use XDrip bypass the Dexcom servers and represent a black hole of data, a loss of information and revenue.

Dexcom is not the only company to do this. Tidepool also has an opt in to sell/donate anonymized data sets which generates money for further development of Tidepool and Tidepool ancillary projects such as Loop.

The sensor and transmitter restarts do represent a financial loss for Dexcom, but I think the loss of data represents a larger financial loss. As Dexcom continues to develop future iterations of the G-series data becomes an invaluable tool for developing algorithms and new products.

5 Likes

Why I don’t doubt the data has some value, but since its missing the other two componentw (insulin dosing and carb intake), I’m not exactly sure how useful the data is. If I’m a researcher I would much rather have the data from Tandem and maybe tidepool.

2 Likes

The below screenshot is from the Dexcom website, whereby individuals creating apps, researchers, healthcare professionals with legitimate needs and others can access data sets (from CGM users) in a Sandbox environment for further API integration. Information is $$$, and Dexcom is monetizing in multiple verticals to reach their 1.85B revenue goal for 2021.

(source: developer.dexcom.com )

2 Likes

I agree with @jim26 in that the data would be more useful with the insulin and carbs included, like Tidepool includes. But your screenshot @elver says their data includes it! I guess this is only if the user manually inputs it.

Also, I know with Tidepool each user needs to approve the donation of their data. I don’t ever recall seeing any form or approval method for my Dexcom data. Maybe it is part of their Clarity app, or somewhere in “fine print” when installing the Dexom app.

4 Likes