Dexcom G6 mystery

I wear the sensor on the back of my upper arm, which seems to work better for me than the abdomen. The mystery is what happens when I sleep. I tend to sleep on my right side most of the night, but will roll over the the left for a bit.

I will often get low alerts when sleeping on the left side, regardless of which arm the sensor is on. This means it is not a compression low.

The alarm wakes me. I roll back over to the right side and the BG reading moves back up.

1 Like

@CarlosLuis I’ve experienced a couple of similar experiences when my G6 is similarly placed (left arm). While I don’t know that’s it scientifically accurate, I’ve chocked it up to the equivalent of a “compression low” due to reduced blood flow the area the sensor is located in, i.e. it’s on my left arm on the back and I’m laying on left side perhaps the pressure applied to the shoulder/upper arm area is reducing the blood flow sufficiently that other pressures to to sleeping position and sensor location are enough to provide impact. If I change position just a bit, the next reading given will indicate a more expected reading. They follow the pattern: relatively flat, normal/expected BG, a precipitous reduced BG reading or two with no accountable reason, slight change of position, return to normal/expected BG level. Perhaps those with more medical knowledge can address better or provide a different reasoning.

4 Likes

The odd thing is when it’s on my right arm and I lay on my left side I get those low alerts.

Compression lows can also be caused by the eight of a blanket or pressure from a pillow or someone else’s body part…been there

1 Like

I have to make sure that the sensor isn’t too far towards the inside of my arm. The weight of my arm laying against my side will cause a compression low every once in a while, just not as fast as directly laying on it. Maybe my blood flow slows enough?

1 Like

I find that I have to pay specific attention to where I place my sensor on my calves (since I’m mostly a side sleeper). If it’s too far to the side I can get compression lows when one leg is laying on top of the other.

4 Likes