Dexcom G5: can we have two phones serving as receivers at same time?

We discussed this recently. I want to make sure that I understand fully well the issues there:

• can we have 2 iPhones receiving simultaneously? I think the answer is NO—confirm?

• can we have one iPhone and one Android running the legit Android app receiving simultaneously? I think the answer is NO—confirm?

• can we have one iPhone running the legit Dexcom app and one Android running the ported app receiving simultaneously? I think the answer is NO—confirm?

• can we have one phone running the legit Dexcom app (iPhone or Android) receiving simultaneously with a phone running xDrip+? I think the answer is YES—confirm?

I am trying to run tests of different Android configurations, but I’d like to keep my son’s iPhone receiver running at the same time.

My understanding of my previous question on the topic was no to the first 3 bullets. You can’t have two phones period. It has to be a combination of 1 receiver + 1 phone (iPhone or Android…doesn’t matter.) But the receiver has to be part of the equation.

The 4th bullet, I can’t answer on.

1 Like

No on the first 2. Not sure about 3 and 4.

1 Like

Not likely. I have heard of cases where this did work, but I have never been able to confirm it myself. Also, in many cases of troubleshooting xDrip+ problems the cause is very often trying to run it with two receivers, be it Android and Dexcom or Android and iPhone.

But xDrip+ does allow for followers or “sync groups” in which the app can identically be on two Android phones getting the exact same data in real time. And entries, including calibrations, can be made on any device in the sync group. But only one can be the receiver.

Also, the receiving device can be switched on the fly between the Sony SW3 watch and the phone.

1 Like

So, @docslotnick, to experiment w xDrip+ I have to start a transmitter w xDrip+ and keep on using the app until the death of the transmitter?

Well, you can just run the phone without the receiver. No need for the receiver.

1 Like

No. You just shouldn’t start xDrip+ while you’re using the Dexcom receiver or iPhone receiver. If you stop using xDrip+ and the transmitter is still less than 105 days old you can reconnect it to the Dexcom device.

ETA: you don’t have to start xDrip+ with a new transmitter. It can even be a Dexcom expired one that who has battery life left.

1 Like

@Michel Also, if you are experimenting with xDrip+ make sure you use one of these phones for the receiver. Even if you plan on using the Sony W3 watch as the receiver you should initially set it up on a phone.

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/blob/master/Documentation/Phones_For_G5.md

1 Like