Dash failed me again

A decade ago I tried the omnipod. I found it was good in concept but not for someone who is physically active such as cutting trees. The pod was way too big and rubbed off regularly. I tried it again 1 year ago and same thing! It’s still way too big and too expensive for a branch to knock it off. Sooo dissapointed going back to ole reliable shots. Waste of money.

2 Likes

Welcome to FUD! Sorry to hear the pods aren’t working well for you. Have you played with placements where the tree branches won’t hit? Honestly, we are just happy that there are options out there and each person can work to figure out what works best for them. Why did you try the pods in the first place?

They actually replace them for free if they get knocked off, as long as you don’t do it on purpose, or make it a regular habit like every 3 days.

4 Likes

And you can suck the insulin right back out and reuse it. So, besides the inconvenience, there’s no loss in my view.

Welcome to FUD!

3 Likes

That’s good to know! I never tried that before.

2 Likes

If it’s not the branch it’s something else. Last week a horse came up behind me and knocked it off. The week before I hit it on a barn door and knocked it off. I have been on multiple different pumps over the past 20+ years so I keep trying until I find something that fits my lifestyle. So far, the shots are the sure thing that works. This is my second omnipod pump and it doesn’t seem like the pod size changed one bit. Now, my Libre sensor is not a problem at all. I suppose it’s just the high profile.

1 Like

Where do you wear them?

1 Like

On my arms…either arm on the side, top, under, I’ve tried several locations. I cannot wear them on my stomach because I am always wearing western jeans for horse riding and it hurts when the jeans push onto my devices. So I switch arms along with my libre. I purchased those very expensive huge waterproof bandaids and those work better than nothing.

1 Like

Have you tried your inner/outer/top thighs? That’s the only place my son wears his…I’m sure that will change as he ages, but since we started with the PODs (he was around age 2.5), we’ve always used the upper thighs. Upper and sides.

2 Likes

I know it sounds odd but I’m in the saddle sometimes 4-5 hours a day. I cannot have that rubbing on my legs or knocking against my saddle. If I wore dresses it would work but with jeans that have to be tight around your legs to grip the saddle its not realistic. I totally understood the post of people complaining about the one size fits all approach to T1D management. That is not realistic because we all do things differently. I was intrigued about the pod that is inserted under the skin every 90 days but the cost (yikes) is prohibitive now. Thanks for the ideas! Tonya

2 Likes

Perhaps wearing slightly more loose fitting jeans to allow the PODs the ability to not be pressed so tightly. I would think in saddle the top and outter sides of the thighs may work still possibly?

1 Like

I know it sounds weird but wearing loose jeans will slip all over the place when riding. Jeans need to be very snug onto your legs so there is no movement. I ride western but you will also see those english riders in the tight riding pants for the same reason. Tonya

3 Likes

These work well to keep pods in place.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you CatLady! First I have seen these. Big Smile! Tonya

3 Likes

I agree: I never knocked off a pod on my leg while wearing yoga pants (though I did once working on an arm balance).

2 Likes

I used these bandaids that were not designed for pods but they didn’t work very well and they were tacky. I wish the omnipod people told me about these. thanks again, Tonya

1 Like