DASH Diet & t1d

Does anyone have any experience with the DASH diet?

Just went to see my PCP yesterday. The good news: my A1C was 6! The bad news is that for the first time in my life my blood pressure was high :weary:. So I’m looking into the DASH Diet and sure there’s a few changes I should make AND everyone should exercise more but the diet wants me to eat several servings of fiber and fruits each day. For the last few years my carb intake is about 10-20 per meal. These additions to my diet seem impossible. It’s just SO MUCH food and will greatly increase my insulin intake. Help please!

4 Likes

I don’t have experience with the DASH diet, but I finally read Think Like a Pancreas and found the tips for adjusting insulin for fiber super helpful (and interesting). This article breaks it down pretty succinctly: Adjust for Fiber With Type 1 Diabetes | Integrated Diabetes Services

Hopefully other folks here will have even more helpful thoughts for you!:crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

I don’t know much about this diet in particular, but it looks to be fairly standard for the general “good” recommendations that most diets tell us.

Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Eat whole grains. Eat lean protein.

Reduce salt, sweets, foods with sugar added, and alcohol.

It doesn’t look like they are making any recommendations that aren’t standard good diet advice.

As far as how much you eat, that should be based on your personal calorie requirements. There is not a one-size-fits-all diet. You need to eat the amount that makes sense for you.

4 Likes

Thanks for this Rachel. I will read up!

2 Likes

Thanks for the help, Eric. You are right. I need a common sense approach and to do what is right for me.

2 Likes