Low Carb for Type 1? Not Me!

Low Carb for Type 1? Not me!!

I have read that many type 1 people eat very healthy, low carb meals. That certainly helps with the control of blood sugar levels, but I do not find that to be necessary. For so many years, starting in 1945 when I was diagnosed, I ate anything I wanted as long as it did not contain sugar. My portions could be as large as I wanted. Not eating sugar was the only limitation made by my doctor. My typical day saw me eat hundreds of carbs, many of which were very fast acting. That was poor diabetes management, but my parents and I did not know any better. I lived on a farm, and there was a lot of exercise. My doctors knew very little about diabetes back then. I was very fortunate that my diet did not cause any diabetes complications.

In 1988 I read an article in a magazine that mentioned carbohydrates. I saw that carbs were very much involved with blood sugar management.That was the first time I had that knowledge. I was still using injections with animal insulin, so knowing about carbs did not help me very much. I did, however, start eating smaller portions of food that had fast acting carbs.
In the mid 1990s Humalog was introduced. That was my first fast acting insulin. I started carb counting. Trial and error showed that I needed one unit of insulin for every 10 carbs I ate. Before breakfast my carb sensitivity was greater, and I needed 1 unit of insulin for every 7 carbs, but only for that meal. Carb counting, and eating only small portions of carbs with fast acting foods greatly improved my blood sugar control. My A1c’s began dropping, as you can see in the graph below.

I began using a pump in 2007. Programming my insulin:carb ratios, and my variable basal rates at different times of the day on the pump gave me so much improvement in my control. Fluctuations did occur because of scar tissue, and occasionally forgetting to bolus at the right time, but my management was very good. I started using a Dexcom CGM in 2015. I have set my CGM to alarm when my BG reaches a high of 170, or a low of 70. That has resulted in my staying in my 70-170 range 90% of the time.

At the present time I eat an average of 130-140 carbs per day, and my A1c’s have been in the 5.4-6.4 range for more than 20 years. Here is a typical day in my current schedule:

8:30 AM…A slice of toasted bread (9 carbs), a slice of ham, berries (16), one egg, and coffee…total…25 carbs
12:00 noon…A medium size baked potato (30), a pork chop…total…30 carbs
2:00 PM…Before going to the gym for a one hour workout…one half cup of ice cream with sugar…(25)…only a 1.5 unit bolus since I was going to get a lot of exercise
5:00 PM…Five corn chips with salsa, and coffee (10)
7:00 PM…Pastrami sandwich with mayonnaise, slice of cheese, and slice of tomato… only one slice of bread, 9 carbs per slice…(12)…cottage cheese (6)…strawberries (10)…total…28 carbs
10:00 PM…My BG was 79 so I needed a small snack…peanut butter and crackers (12)
TOTAL for the day…130 carbs

I never eat anything with sugar (table sugar) unless I am going to get exercise afterwards, or I have a low. I carry a small ziplock bag of skittles with me when I am away from home.

Note: My meals vary a lot, but the carb counts and the times that I eat are very stable. I do like a lot of variety in my food choices so no two days are the same. As long as my diabetes management is stable, I see nothing wrong with that. My A1c is good, and I am not overweight. My BMI is 23.6.
I like variety in food, TV programs, movies, activities,
exercises, and most all things…but not women. My wife is
wonderful and I do not need variety there. :wink:

17 Likes

Well to be fair, 130-140 is generally considered moderately low carb. The ADA recommendation on 2000 calories a day is 225+ carbs per day. But I am glad you are able to enjoy a varied diet while finding a way of eating that keeps your A1c in a great place.

5 Likes

I agree. This is about the same as what I do, but including more carby veggies, less bread, chips.

The term low carb can mean anything not SAD. (Standard American Diet).

5 Likes

Yeah, I think I’ve read somewhere that the average person eats 200-300 grams of carbs per day. This was certainly me at one point! I think anything in the 100-150 grams range is moderate carbs, anything <100 grams/day is low carb, and anything <50 grams/day is very low carb. At least that’s how I sort things in my mind.

After I got my Dexcom I was eating around 90 grams of carbs a day because I had started avoiding foods like cereals. I posted in a diabetes group about having tight control without eating low carb and was reamed out by people who said 90 grams a day was considered low carb. And I saw someone say they didn’t eat low carb when they were eating around 80 grams of carbs per day. But it’s funny how people in this low/moderate carb range don’t tend to think of them self as eating low carb, because it’s pretty unrestrictive.

6 Likes

There really are no accepted definitions, so both of us are of course correct. The only definition that is meaningful is a definition in a clinical study and each of them uses a somewhat different and arbitrary cut-off, so I agree with you, and disagree with you all at the same time depending on which study I am referencing :wink:

It is the ideal place, because both of us can never be wrong. I also happen to think quite like you.

The only low carb agreement I have seen is that Keto is generally <50 carbs a day and some adhere to <25 carbs per day.

4 Likes

I have several coworkers sticking to 13 net carbs a day for their new lifestyle.

I cannot fathom this.

2 Likes

They must be filling up on sailboat fuel or water, lol. Way too much work for me (yes, I’m that lazy)

3 Likes

Hahahaha

1 Like

That’s awesome and that’s what I want to do! Thanks for your post!

7 Likes

I’ve been eating around 300-400g/day on a 3500-4000 calorie diet since I decided to go off HFLC for a while. I’ve also put on weight (too well, I’m backing down to 3000 calories now). I’d say my workouts have been more productive, seems like more energy than on previous diet. Last A1C was 5.4. Could be better, but not bad for the circumstances.

5 Likes

Thanks @Richard157 for sharing your detailed post about your diet! I always find it interesting to see how people eat and stay healthy and deal with their T1D over the years! And avoiding things with sugar in them unless exercising probably helps keep those A1Cs so good!

And everyone’s comments about low carb are fascinating! I’ve never thought of what low carb looks like definition-wise and it sounds like there’s a lot of variety in how many carbs folks think about. Lower carb meals are a bit easier to manage in our house - but there’s room for carbs if we need that option. Just had Thai food take out for elevenses and that wasn’t low carb - but with strategies like Afrezza, it works out (thanks, SF, for having food available late!)

5 Likes