"Are you on a super low carb diet or something?" - My endo

I had kind of an amusing endo appointment today. After coming in with my (second in a row) A1c of 6.5% he was congratulating me on how well I’ve been doing, then launched straight into questions about lows. Even told me of some study he had seen about the increased chances of fainting or coma due to low BG with A1cs below 6.7% (no idea why he told me this, he then said something along the lines of "it’s not as scary as it sounds). I handed over my 30-day Clarity reports showing me with 0.1% severe lows and 3% low, and he literally said under his breath “this is extraordinary” :grin:

He was apparently extremely surprised by my daytime numbers as they’re mostly in range and kept pretty tightly there. He started asking me “Are you on a super low carb diet or something?” and I said “Not at all! Kind of the opposite really” and he goes “You must be phenomenal at carb-counting” and I’m like “I guess. I’ve been at it a while”

He then started telling me about how it was “rare to see a 6.5% A1c with easy room for improvement”, that “improvement” in his mind apparently being that I needed to eat fewer carbs :roll_eyes: Realistically there is easy room for improvement as I’m still running high at night, but I think this is fully due to poorly bolused for bedtime snacks (or nights at the bar, on the weekends). I think he got the hint that I probably wasn’t going to be doing low carb, as everytime he suggested it I brushed it off. His last attempt was “A lot of carbs aren’t really worth the hassle… but then I guess some really are.” and I’m thinking to myself “Yep, and I think all the carbs in my diet are worth the hassle, thanks”

I still haven’t told him the big reason why I won’t/can’t do low carb, and I probably should tell him if I want him to get off my back about it, but it’s just one of those conversations I don’t really want to have. Plus, then maybe in 3 months when I see him again he’ll have forgotten all about this appointment and have his mind blown again by my incredible talent for carb-counting :stuck_out_tongue:

17 Likes

AWESOME !!!

Totally agree.
Including the ice cream, the chips, the cookies and the fudge. (My T1).

And for you - if you enjoy the bar then enjoy the bar with open eyes. Rock on !!! (Although I still don’t understand how one can carb count after a few drinks - lol. I guess like anything else… practice practice practice. ha ha ha)

4 Likes

That’s fantastic!! I love this update! Great work! I want to get on that bandwagon with you!!

2 Likes

Oh, this is so awesome! Nicely done!

And I think you should feel free to eat the carbs you want to eat :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Truth be told, I really can’t do it well, I do a couple of fun sugary drinks before transitioning to rum+diets usually. But then my friends and I typically get an order or either garlic or truffle fries to share midway through the night… which is generally the source of my bar night-induced highs :sweat_smile: Something for me to work on definitely, but I refuse to give them up :grin:

5 Likes

Really nice job, it is amazing that you have been able to manage all of this while having the stress of finishing up at school! It is also lovely that things are going so well and you are able to share it. Sometimes I think our site tends to overshare the bad stuff and never share the good stuff, so congrats. Your post made my day.

4 Likes

Absolutely don’t give them up. Just keep working on whatever kind of square-wave or dual-wave bolus or temp basals you need to handle them. I’m a big fan of carbs for anyone who likes them and can figure out an effective way to dose for them in their own body. Which is not possible for everyone, but in your case, your A1C says you can do it.

4 Likes

I actually carb count better after a few drinks… I’m also better looking, stronger, and know how to dance.

11 Likes

Way to go! An endo should know that a piece of cake requires the injection of insulin. What about that does he not understand?

2 Likes

I think he gets that concept, he just thinks things would be easier for me with no cake at all. Like a “less room for error” type of deal.

Screw that, I want the cake and I’ll figure the rest out! :partying_face:

10 Likes

Carbs make life worth living. :stuck_out_tongue: Awesome work!

3 Likes